Amazonia puzzle game

Propose new game/software design concepts or new game/software ideas. They can be as whimsical as you like, just be careful you don't ask someone to make it for you...
Lee Bee
Dynamite Dan

Amazonia puzzle game

Post by Lee Bee »

This game was brought up in this thread:
Turtle_Quality wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:25 pm Since you mention it... I've gone back to this Flash game Amazonia from time to time over the years, and Flash will very soon be disappearing. You'll need to enable flash on the site to run it

https://zone.msn.com/gameplayer/gamepla ... ce=default

The music is a big part of the game, quite New Age and soothing, I think the 128K Spectrum could make a decent rendition. Graphically I reckon it's possible to fit on a Spectrum screen, with the jewels on alternate attr squares and the surrounding squares used to depict chains / and or the orbiting specks that indicate you have turned a jewel into a bomb.

This is a kind of demo for a full PC game, though strangely I found this version more compelling than the PC version. That said, it's easy to complete the 15 levels of the Flash version. And the objective of the game really should be better, say remove all the chains in so many moves.

I took screenshots of the 15 levels and should record the music also. It would be the next project after the game I'm working on now, so it could be some time. Unless someone else wants to have a go

There's another hexagonal match 3 I've been playing far too much of for the past year, Hexa Blast on my Android phone, based on the same principle, swap adjacent colours to make line of 3. I've now finally completed all 3150 levels of Hexa Blast, and I could mix and match some of the features a bit when recreating Amazonia. Hexa Blast slowly introduces and then mixes a lot of different elements, meaning that different levels can present a very different challenge.
Lee Bee
Dynamite Dan

Re: Amazonia puzzle game

Post by Lee Bee »

As said in the other thread, I'd be happy to provide some music if you get this going.

Regarding the graphics, I've just made some (very) preliminary graphics to show how the tiles could be plotted out…

Original game:

How it could work on the Spectrum:

This may be a helpful starting point for you to take over, or I could even continue developing graphics.

Note that the background landscape isn't mine, it's 'Mountain River' by 'r0m' - just to show how it could look with a pretty image in the background. I think it looks nice :-) You could even approach artists like r0m and just ask their permission to use images in your game, thus saving time and showcasing talent :-)
Turtle_Quality
Manic Miner

Post by Turtle_Quality »

Wow that was quick

That does look nice, made me think though, another approach, if we're to "Spectrumize" Amazonia, would be to use Hobbit adventure landscapes as backdrops, as a good number of them should be recognisable to many.

The gem effect is very neat, I'd thin out the red "honeycomb" because that space would also be used for chains and orbiting dots around gems.

I'd better get cracking on the current game then...
Definition of loop : see loop
Lee Bee
Dynamite Dan

Post by Lee Bee »

Turtle_Quality wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:50 pm another approach […] would be to use Hobbit adventure landscapes as backdrops
Great idea :-)
Turtle_Quality wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:50 pm The gem effect is very neat, I'd thin out the red "honeycomb" because that space would also be used for chains and orbiting dots around gems.
Sure, I don't know the game mechanics at all, or even how many colours there are. It was just a rough starting point to work out the layout/colour distribution :-) But this configuration allows you to have exactly the same number of hexagons as the real game, which is great! :-)
Turtle_Quality wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:50 pm I'd better get cracking on the current game then...
LOL Keep me/us uppdated! PM me if you like. I'm sure I'll be able to make it sound good!
Lee Bee
Dynamite Dan

Post by Lee Bee »

OK Turtle,

I've had a think about this and I reckon it would look better if everything was twice as wide, though this would mean the game boards would have to be smaller. See what you think…

As it was:

Double width:

In game:

Last edited by Lee Bee on Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Andre Leao
Bugaboo

Post by Andre Leao »

Is that snow on the mountains? There is no snow in Amazonia... Anyway, graphics are nice... :)