ZXDS 2.1.0

Struggling with Fuse or trying to find an emulator with a specific feature. Ask your questions here.
Patrik Rak
Microbot

ZXDS 2.1.0

Post by Patrik Rak »

Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Re: ZXDS 2.1.0

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

Thanks for the update, Patrik. A really cool emulator.
Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Post by Jbizzel »

Brilliant emulator.

Spectrum graphics look great at this size. Thank you for this awesome software.

Patrik Rak
Microbot

Post by Patrik Rak »

Jbizzel wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:56 pm Spectrum graphics look great at this size.
Thanks. Why not switch to the native 3DS version, though? From what I can see, that's the DS version running on a 3DS... :o
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Hi [mention]Patrik Rak[/mention],

Which would you suggest is the best version of the DS to purchase for this?

Thanks
Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Post by Jbizzel »

Patrik Rak wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:27 am
Jbizzel wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:56 pm Spectrum graphics look great at this size.
Thanks. Why not switch to the native 3DS version, though? From what I can see, that's the DS version running on a 3DS... :o
Well spotted. Don't you have to hack the 3ds to run the 3ds version?

My 3ds is un modified. :)
Patrik Rak
Microbot

Post by Patrik Rak »

PeterJ wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:58 am Which would you suggest is the best version of the DS to purchase for this?
Definitely the New 2DS XL. It's way cheaper than the New 3DS XL (which is not really being produced/sold anymore) and ZXDS doesn't use the 3D effect anyway. OTOH, if you already had the New 3DS XL or intended to use it beyond ZXDS, that might be the preferable choice.

In either case, I would go for the XL version for sure. The non-XL displays are much smaller, especially the original 3DS, it's really tiny in comparison (still bigger than the original DS was, so even that would be an upgrade :D).
Patrik Rak
Microbot

Post by Patrik Rak »

Jbizzel wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:19 pm Well spotted. Don't you have to hack the 3ds to run the 3ds version?
Well, yeah, that's true. It was the reason I didn't port it earlier in the first place, didn't want to mess with all the various exploits... However, nowadays it is really super easy to do, esp. considering you already have a flashcart. And you can always revert it if you decide so... :shrug:.

Still I do understand your concern, don't get me wrong. Esp. if it is your main/only 3DS with ton of e-shop stuff on your account...
Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Post by Jbizzel »

Patrik Rak wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:59 pm
PeterJ wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:58 am Which would you suggest is the best version of the DS to purchase for this?
Definitely the New 2DS XL. It's way cheaper than the New 3DS XL (which is not really being produced/sold anymore) and ZXDS doesn't use the 3D effect anyway. OTOH, if you already had the New 3DS XL or intended to use it beyond ZXDS, that might be the preferable choice.

In either case, I would go for the XL version for sure. The non-XL displays are much smaller, especially the original 3DS, it's really tiny in comparison (still bigger than the original DS was, so even that would be an upgrade :D).
I agree, the "new" 3ds XL or a "new" 2ds XL are the superior version and you can get some good deals on eBay. They have a great games library of there own, games are cheap so everyone in my family has one and group multiplayer is a lot of fun.
8BitAG
Dynamite Dan

Post by 8BitAG »

How does the 3DS version of ZXDS handle the increased resolution of the 3DS?

There was something wonderful about the fact that the original DS models had a native 256 × 192 resolutions.

Presumably running the original DS version of ZXDS on a 3DS would give the same sort of muddy upscaling as DS games on the 3DS? Which is why you've made a native 3DS version?
8-bit Text Adventure Gamer - games - research.
Patrik Rak
Microbot

Post by Patrik Rak »

8BitAG wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:29 pm How does the 3DS version of ZXDS handle the increased resolution of the 3DS?
The top screen now has enough space for border emulation, which is one of the biggest improvements.

The bottom screen graphics was redrawn (well, most of), so it is essentially the same, but sharp and not scaled. For requesters, more text now fits in.
Presumably running the original DS version of ZXDS on a 3DS has the same sort of upscaling as DS games on the 3DS? Which is why you've made a native 3DS version?
Yep, the DS version was upscaled (by default) or tiny (when pressing SELECT during launch), same as the normal DS games on 3DS. To have proper sharp display was the first and foremost reason. But with that also came more memory, which opened new options. For example, the latest version added rollback, which is IMO a killer feature on its own.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

I'm finally purchasing a Nintendo 2DS XL and have watched a few videos on the firmware installation. What I'm confused about is which card to purchase. There seems to be R4 3DS, R4i Gold 3DS, R4i Gold Pro, and many others. The issue is that none seem to specifically mention the 2DS XL in the compatible device list.

This is an example from eBay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/364412093240
It is compatible with DS, DSL, DS Lite, DSi, DSi XL, 2DS, 3DS and 3DS XL system.
There is also this page on the firmware:

https://www.r43ds.org/pages/R4-3DS-Firm ... fullSite=1

Can anybody clear up my confusion please? Thanks
PROSM
Manic Miner

Post by PROSM »

@PeterJ, while the old Nintendo DS and DS Lite models need a flashcard to hold the homebrew programs, the DSi and 3DS/2DS models have provisions for an SD card, and can usually be modded with relative ease to run homebrew off of that. As such, I would hold off on purchasing a flashcard until you definitely know if it's required. I've sent you a PM with a link to details on modding your 2DS (not putting it here in case it breaks site rules, but it's fairly high in the Google results anyway).
All software to-date
Working on something, as always.
8BitSC
Microbot

Post by 8BitSC »

@PeterJ

I have this one (listed on the firmware page you linked) and can confirm this works with the 2DSXL.

The reason they don't mention the 2DS specifically, is the 2DS range is fully compatible with the 3DS models; only lacking the 3D-enabled upper-panel and adjustment slider.

The R4 card above has an internal switch to allow the ntrboot method of installing CFW.

That said, once you've got custom firmware installed, the R4 card is no longer required as a large SD card (or MicroSD card in an adaptor) allows running of all 3DS titles from the internal SD card. They're usually either installed from CIA files (using an application called FBI; installed as part of the custom firmware installation process), via direct download using QR codes scanned from the Internet (again via the FBI app), or more recently, directly to the device using an app called the hShop.

For that reason, one of the first apps you should be looking to install on your custom firmware (after ZXDS 2.21 http://zxds.raxoft.cz/) is the 3hs client for the hShop. ;)
VanZan
Drutt

Post by VanZan »

Can I ask a quick question? I purchased a used DS Lite primarily for ZXDS. I notice however the touchscreen isn't so accurate with the keyboard particularly up around the top left.

If I touch the stylus to "1" on the keyboard "R" will appear. I tried the stock calibration tool and it showed nothing wrong.

I'm wondering did I get a dodgy DS Lite or is it just the screen on all DS Lites? I tried ZXDS on a N3DSXL and have no such problems.

My guess is that the DS Lite isn't precise enough to discern between the small keyboard keys....
8BitSC
Microbot

Post by 8BitSC »

You’re using the DS version (1.4) on the DS and not the 2DS/3DS version (2.2.1)?

There’s a different version for each device.
Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Post by Jbizzel »

I have no issues on my DS with this excellent emulator
PROSM
Manic Miner

Post by PROSM »

VanZan wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 7:32 pm I'm wondering did I get a dodgy DS Lite or is it just the screen on all DS Lites? I tried ZXDS on a N3DSXL and have no such problems.

My guess is that the DS Lite isn't precise enough to discern between the small keyboard keys....
My DS Lite is able to distinguish between the keys just fine - it is probably the touchscreen on your console that is at fault here.
All software to-date
Working on something, as always.
patters
Manic Miner

Post by patters »

It should be accurate to the pixel. You can buy a replacement digitizer though - shouldn't be difficult to replace.
VanZan
Drutt

Post by VanZan »

Thanks for the replies guys.....so it must be a fading screen/digitizer. I've ordered both a replacement screen and digitizer on eBay. (Saw a few warnings that the new screen will need to have insulation put on the back to prevent a short circuit.)
blucey
Manic Miner

Post by blucey »

I used to love ZXDS back when I had a DS Lite.

Tempted to get back into this but good lord these 2DS XL prices are insane. 100 quid for a basically dead handheld with no online store? Eesh!