Logging Out

Broken link? Feature request? Anything related to the Spectrum Computing website here.
MarkRJones1970
Microbot

Re: Logging Out

Post by MarkRJones1970 »

I cleared all the cookies on Chrome on my Android phone. Obviously it logged me out of everything but I still can't log in to here on my phone. Tried 10+ times. I just get "The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again" To clarify, I HAVE deleted cookies.
Mark R. Jones

Ex-Ocean Software graphic artist -
Download my FREE PDF 'LOAD DIJ DIJ' (180,000+ words): https://ko-fi.com/i/IG2G3BEJZP
ZX Art page: https://zxart.ee/eng/authors/m/mark-r-jones/
Guesser
Manic Miner

Post by Guesser »

Annoyingly since Mozilla released a new version of Firefox for Android (Fenix) last year, all the built in cookie management is gone and all you can do is go nuclear and wipe everything. Additionally all the old cookie extensions were broken by the change.

In the unlikely event anyone else uses Firefox on their Android device, and like me isn't ready to lose their sessions and settings on hundreds of other sites I did find a solution.
If you enable remote debugging and connect to the phone from desktop Firefox, you can inspect the spectrumcomputing tab and delete the cookies via the storage inspector. Would be a bit of a pain if you've never set up remote debugging before, but less of a pain that logging back in to every other site you use possibly!

Edit: Similar cookie editing capability is possible via Chrome's remote debugging if I remember correctly, but I guess not needed.
Last edited by Guesser on Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

MarkRJones1970 wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:15 pm I cleared all the cookies on Chrome on my Android phone. Obviously it logged me out of everything but I still can't log in to here on my phone. Tried 10+ times. I just get "The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again" To clarify, I HAVE deleted cookies.
Hi Mark,

Please could you try this instructions here?

https://android.stackexchange.com/quest ... in-android
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

I think I found the culprit bot. I blocked over 18,000 visits in the last 24 hours!

MarkRJones1970
Microbot

Post by MarkRJones1970 »

PeterJ wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:19 pm
MarkRJones1970 wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:15 pm I cleared all the cookies on Chrome on my Android phone. Obviously it logged me out of everything but I still can't log in to here on my phone. Tried 10+ times. I just get "The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again" To clarify, I HAVE deleted cookies.
Hi Mark,

No that doesn't work. When I go to type in "spectrumcom...." it doesn't bring anything up to delete.
Mark R. Jones

Download my FREE PDF 'LOAD DIJ DIJ' (180,000+ words): https://ko-fi.com/i/IG2G3BEJZP
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

OK [mention]MarkRJones1970[/mention],

Let me do some more digging. Can you get in using an Incognito tab?
MarkRJones1970
Microbot

Post by MarkRJones1970 »

Oh! Yes, that worked.
Mark R. Jones

PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

MarkRJones1970 wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:26 pm Oh! Yes, that worked.
Good, OK so there must still be a Cookie somewhere. Let me do some digging.
+3code

Post by +3code »

MarkRJones1970 wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:23 pm
PeterJ wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:19 pm Hi Mark,

No that doesn't work. When I go to type in "spectrumcom...." it doesn't bring anything up to delete.
Perhaps dumm information, but some cookies in my computer started with a dot (".spectrumcomputing").
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

I seem to be having issues being logged out when I try and post or preview a reply to a topic. I'm logged in, I type my reply and then do preview or try and post and I'm prompted to log in again. If I do this, I then get returned to the editor minus the reply I've just entered. This seemed to start for me from last Sunday (10th January). It's just happened to me again while composing this reply.

I also seem to be getting logged out a couple of minutes after logging in. If I then read a thread with one of my replies, it still has the 'Online' marker showing for my posts - even though the web page has been as logged out. I'm running Firefox 84.0.2 (64 bit) on Ubuntu Mate 18.04.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

I normally run Chrome [mention]bob_fossil[/mention], but will download Firefox in the morning. The forum software is set to 1 hour. There aren't lots of settings around cookies.

Do you have any extensions enabled or a VPN or similar?

Using Chrome on desktop and mobile I've been in all day. Even if you don't like Chrome, could you possibly test it? It is available for Debian based distributions.
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

Guesser wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:18 pm Annoyingly since Mozilla released a new version of Firefox for Android (Fenix) last year, all the built in cookie management is gone and all you can do is go nuclear and wipe everything. Additionally all the old cookie extensions were broken by the change.

In the unlikely event anyone else uses Firefox on their Android device, and like me isn't ready to lose their sessions and settings on hundreds of other sites I did find a solution.
If you enable remote debugging and connect to the phone from desktop Firefox, you can inspect the spectrumcomputing tab and delete the cookies via the storage inspector. Would be a bit of a pain if you've never set up remote debugging before, but less of a pain that logging back in to every other site you use possibly!

Edit: Similar cookie editing capability is possible via Chrome's remote debugging if I remember correctly, but I guess not needed.
Don’t know about Android (not got as far as checking on any such devices), but on my Linux version of Firefox, open a tab or window to the relevant site, then click the i in the blue circle just to the left of the URL/search box ;)

Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

bob_fossil wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:03 pm I seem to be having issues being logged out when I try and post or preview a reply to a topic.

I'm running Firefox 84.0.2 (64 bit) on Ubuntu Mate 18.04.
On my Linux version of Firefox, open a tab or window to the relevant site, then click the i in the blue circle just to the left of the URL/search box. From here you can delete all the cookies for the chosen site that Firefox has stored ;)

Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
Guesser
Manic Miner

Post by Guesser »

1024MAK wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:25 am Don’t know about Android (not got as far as checking on any such devices), but on my Linux version of Firefox, open a tab or window to the relevant site, then click the i in the blue circle just to the left of the URL/search box ;)
All there is on Firefox for Android to the left of the URL bar is a thing for turning tracking protection on or off.
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

1024MAK wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:30 am
On my Linux version of Firefox, open a tab or window to the relevant site, then click the i in the blue circle just to the left of the URL/search box. From here you can delete all the cookies for the chosen site that Firefox has stored ;)

Mark
Thanks but I've already deleted all the site cookies on Thursday as I couldn't log on at all. The issue I'm having here is that one minute the site is showing me as logged in, I reply to a topic, hit preview or post and the site then wants me to log in again. I suspect this is somehow related to the switch to CloudFlare as this started happening a week ago.
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

PeterJ wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:47 pm
Do you have any extensions enabled or a VPN or similar?

Using Chrome on desktop and mobile I've been in all day. Even if you don't like Chrome, could you possibly test it? It is available for Debian based distributions.
I'm not on a VPN. I have NoScript and Old Reddit Redirect extensions enabled. I have whitelisted spectrumcomputing.co.uk in NoScript. If I install Chrome and it works where does that get me? I don't particularly want to have to use a separate browser for one web site. If it comes down to that, I'll stick with running Firefox and get into the habit of copying my post to the clipboard before pressing preview or post in the editor. :)
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

[mention]PeterJ[/mention] have you tried this?
"Security settings -> Session IP Validation -> change to NONE " I'm reading some comments pointing out that since Cloudflare is now in the middle, IP validations are not needed and can interfere if the forum was previously working on its own, since now all IPs are Cloudflare's.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Hi [mention]bob_fossil[/mention],

Not suggesting Chrome as a long term solution, just want to see if it works.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

druellan wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:28 am @PeterJ have you tried this?
"Security settings -> Session IP Validation -> change to NONE " I'm reading some comments pointing out that since Cloudflare is now in the middle, IP validations are not needed and can interfere if the forum was previously working on its own, since now all IPs are Cloudflare's.
Thank you. Could you email me one of the posts do I can read through. That would be most useful.
dfzx
Manic Miner

Post by dfzx »

bob_fossil wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:05 am I'm not on a VPN. I have NoScript and Old Reddit Redirect extensions enabled. I have whitelisted spectrumcomputing.co.uk in NoScript. If I install Chrome and it works where does that get me? I don't particularly want to have to use a separate browser for one web site. If it comes down to that, I'll stick with running Firefox and get into the habit of copying my post to the clipboard before pressing preview or post in the editor. :)
Double check you've cleared both spectrumcomputing.co.uk cookies, and .spectrumcomputing.co.uk ones (noting the leading .). Cloudflare uses the ones with the leading dot. They appear in different places in most cookie lists and all need to be cleared.
Derek Fountain, author of the ZX Spectrum C Programmer's Getting Started Guide and various open source games, hardware and other projects, including an IF1 and ZX Microdrive emulator.
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

dfzx wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:18 pm
bob_fossil wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:05 am I'm not on a VPN. I have NoScript and Old Reddit Redirect extensions enabled. I have whitelisted spectrumcomputing.co.uk in NoScript. If I install Chrome and it works where does that get me? I don't particularly want to have to use a separate browser for one web site. If it comes down to that, I'll stick with running Firefox and get into the habit of copying my post to the clipboard before pressing preview or post in the editor. :)
Double check you've cleared both spectrumcomputing.co.uk cookies, and .spectrumcomputing.co.uk ones (noting the leading .). Cloudflare uses the ones with the leading dot. They appear in different places in most cookie lists and all need to be cleared.
Ok, those . prefaced spectrumcomputing.co.uk cookies were not being listed in Firefox's Preferences->Privacy & Security->Cookies and Site Data->Manage Data dialog. I was only seeing the first type in there. As deleting cookies from there fixed the logging in issue I had on Thursday I assumed my cookies had been cleared. I didn't realise there was another set of cookies listed in a different place.

I had to go into Tools->Web Developer->Storage Inspector->Cookies and they were listed in there. I've since deleted them from there and I've managed to preview this post without having to re-login again, so it's looking better than it was before. Thanks for the help.
Lee Bee
Dynamite Dan

Post by Lee Bee »

Ah, "logging out" and "logging in", or, as these verbal phrases are now most commonly written, as the single words "logouting" and "loginning"! (Hopefully any grammarians here will appreciate the humour/tragedy.)
8BitAG
Dynamite Dan

Post by 8BitAG »

Lee Bee wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 1:15 pm Ah, "logging out" and "logging in", or, as these verbal phrases are now most commonly written, as the single words "logouting" and "loginning"! (Hopefully any grammarians here will appreciate the humour/tragedy.)
But "logging" isn't from "login". It's "logging" as in "to make/keep a record of, e.g. in a log", so "logging in" and "logging out" are perfectly acceptable.

Do people really write "logouting" and "loginning"?

Should I be saying, I just got "logouted" and I've just been "loginned"? :D
8-bit Text Adventure Gamer - games - research.
Lee Bee
Dynamite Dan

Post by Lee Bee »

8BitAG wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 1:32 pm Do people really write "logouting" and "loginning"?
No, sorry, I was being a little facetious. I now see "login" used everywhere without the space (as a verb). Most people don't seem to find this problematic, but if this is logic is followed, it produces the gerund form "loginning", which I think shows the error far more clearly. (Another one I've seen a lot without the space lately is the verb "checkout"—which would mean people are "checkouting"!)
Last edited by Lee Bee on Sat Apr 23, 2022 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
8BitAG
Dynamite Dan

Post by 8BitAG »

Lee Bee wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 1:41 pm No, sorry, I was being a little facetious. I now see "login" used everywhere without the space (as a verb). Most people don't seem to find this problematic, but if this is logic is followed, it produces the gerund form "loginning", which I think shows the error far more clearly.
That's just how language develops over time. The history of the English language is full of examples like "login". It's what makes the language so malleable and also fascinating to research.
8-bit Text Adventure Gamer - games - research.