Forum suggestion: country flags

Broken link? Feature request? Anything related to the Spectrum Computing website here.
XTM
Manic Miner

Forum suggestion: country flags

Post by XTM »

I've seen a couple of forums where the member info next to each post also includes a little country flag (hovering the mouse pointer over it shows the country name). I think it would be nice to have this here. Yeah I know, we do have a location field but there's plenty of people who left it blank. Anyway, it would be nifty as it immediately gives you a bit of context about the poster even if you are not familiar with them, like for example someone posting about not being able to buy any Speccy games in the shops back then, which naturally was a much more likely scenario in, say, Moldova than in Scotland.

Also, it makes it easier to see the great variety of places our users come from, which helps debunking the myth that "only UK people used the Speccy" (my pet peeve with German retro sites). Sure, I'd assume a fair share of posters here are from the UK, but I do get the impression that, compared to the WOS forums, there seem to be more "foreigners" here on SC.

Of course people who don't fill out the location field in their profile are also bound to not bother selecting their respective flag, but I still think it would be a nice "quality of life" thing to have. Maybe it would even be possible to autodetect the correct flag upon registration by means of the users IP address?

This is by no means important, it's merely a suggestion, so it's up to PeterJ to decide. What do you peeps think?
Daren
Manic Miner

Re: Forum suggestion: country flags

Post by Daren »

Looks like there's a phpBB extension for it: https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/exte ... nal_flags/
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Thanks for the suggestion [mention]XTM[/mention], and thanks to [mention]Daren[/mention] for the phpBB extension.

We currently use PHP 7.0 (Which is with Ubuntu 16.04) so can't use it It needs PHP v7.1. When we upgrade to Ubuntu 18.04 we will be able to include it.
8BitAG
Dynamite Dan

Post by 8BitAG »

XTM wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:55 am Maybe it would even be possible to autodetect the correct flag upon registration by means of the users IP address?
Can of worms. :)
8-bit Text Adventure Gamer - games - research.