Zx Omni what is it? Is it any good?

For experts to discuss very technical stuff and newbies to ask why the Spectrum they bought off ebay doesn't work.
ianace
Manic Miner

Zx Omni what is it? Is it any good?

Post by ianace »

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone has an experience of this device?
Is it any good, was looking for something to fill the gap that was left by the Vega + affair.

There seem to be a couple of websites that sell them, but one does not seem to have any in stock, the other all the prices are in dollars?

Is it worth looking at? Does anyone own one? Or just got one?
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Re: Zx Omni what is it? Is it any good?

Post by Pegaz »

Omni is the next-gen Spectrum 128K in a rubber speccy case for 130$.
There is also a Omni laptop, the manufacturer is retroradionics, more details are here:

https://retroradionics.co.uk/#!/OMNI-DE ... y=29176161
https://retroradionics.co.uk/#!/OMNI-12 ... category=0
http://www.overtakenbyevents.com/onmi-1 ... -overview/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2rZSt3DBY0
akeley
Dynamite Dan

Post by akeley »

Lol...why old-ass youtubers always feel the need to make these daft faces in the video snapshots? It's so ridiculous :D (and one of the reasons I never watch any of them).
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

Sorry for the inconvenience, Is it better now ? ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6vq5oOD3v8
uglifruit
Manic Miner

Post by uglifruit »

Pegaz wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:50 pm Omni is the next-gen Spectrum 128K in a rubber speccy case for 130$.
Whilst that's basically true (based upon a Harlequin board)

Also, importantly, it has a built in DivMMC to load stuff your stuff from SD card.
It's got UnoDOS 3 / 5 and esxDOS 0.8.6 / esxDOS 0.8.5 support

And it's also switchable between various flavours of ZX Spectrum (using dip switches):
e.g.
48k Spectrum from 1982. (With an AY chip added)
1985 128K basic ROM*. (Toast Rack) - AY-3-8912 sound chip
1986, 128K spectrum ROM*. The boot menu with 128K basic, 48K basic, a tape test and calculator.
Amstrad's +2e BASIC, with 128K available.
ZX81+ Emulator1 3.09 by Paul Farrow. 32k RAM.
SE Basic 3.2 ROM by Nine tiles networks ltd.
Retroleum (1.3.4) test ROM*

*some of these aren't compatible with the DivMMC.

There are also two built in 9 pin Joystick ports . ('Normal' not Amstrad configuration)

Stereo jack socket for audio out headphones, and a stereo in/out jack socket (like the one on a +3) for the Ear/Mic connectors if you're loading from tape.

The expansion port works excellently (though some peripherals) such as the Currah uSpeech don't play nicely with the DivMMC - but that can be disabled using dip switches.

The laptop model is the same, aside of a different power supply. But there's a laptop screen you add - you'll also need to add rechargeable batteries - but that's not too tricky. And it'll still function as a desktop, if you want, via the RGB Scart out.

All in all I think it's great and I love mine, but note:

1. The HDMI port doesn't work - so don't buy it expecting to use that.
2. There is a missing set of resistors on the board that means the video out is brighter than it should be. Correctable by using the right SCART cable, or some very fiddly soldering.
3. The relative audio levels AY/Beeper aren't great. This is another thing that's fixable with the soldering of an extra resistor onto the mother board.*
4. There's no internal buzzer. But this is perhaps a godsend, rather than a fault.
5. They're hand built so will take ages to arrive, and might be a bit rough around the edges (eg faceplate might need sticking back down).
6. The documentation is a bit crap, and you'll spend ages googling various mis-information about it. Also the only 'support' is on the facebook page (not helpful if, like me, you don't have fb).

* This is a subjective thing, and different Spectrums have different beeper/AY levels, but I think this is worth sorting out here.
CLEAR 23855
SamC
Microbot

Post by SamC »

uglifruit wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:00 amesxDOS 0.8.6 / esxDOS 0.8.5 support
Why only these version?
Does it have a standard DivMMC, in which the esxDOS is easily upgradeable (now 0.8.8)?
kolbeck
Manic Miner

Post by kolbeck »

From what I understand, the issue is that the eeprom is locked and can’t be unlocked by software on the Omni. However it’s a standard chip, you can just replace it with one with you preferred esxdos. It’s never been an issue for me anyway, since it loads sna and taps fine
https://api.zxinfo.dk/v3/ - ZXDB API for developers
zxinfo-file-browser - Cross platform app to manage your files
https://zxinfo.dk - another ZXDB frontend
uglifruit
Manic Miner

Post by uglifruit »

kolbeck wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:54 pm From what I understand, the issue is that the eeprom is locked and can’t be unlocked by software on the Omni. However it’s a standard chip, you can just replace it with one with you preferred esxdos. It’s never been an issue for me anyway, since it loads sna and taps fine
This, exactly.
CLEAR 23855
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

So what's this Omni thing in the end? A clone assembled in a case made to look like the first Spectrums, with rubber keyboard and all? Made in China?
kolbeck
Manic Miner

Post by kolbeck »

It’s based on don superfo board. Fits in a rubber case, includes onboard joystick and divmmc. Can run different configurations from zx80/81, Jupiter ace, zx spectrum 48, 128 and can run on batteries :-)

Also available in a version with lcd screen, all running on batteries - the ultimate zx spectrum laptop :-)

I doesn’t add more than the usual spectrum, except for the divmmc and better video output
https://api.zxinfo.dk/v3/ - ZXDB API for developers
zxinfo-file-browser - Cross platform app to manage your files
https://zxinfo.dk - another ZXDB frontend
cmal
Manic Miner

Post by cmal »

akeley wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:18 pm Lol...why old-ass youtubers always feel the need to make these daft faces in the video snapshots? It's so ridiculous :D (and one of the reasons I never watch any of them).
:lol: :lol: :lol:
This baffles me too!
cmal
Manic Miner

Post by cmal »

Is there a way to load TZX and snapshot files?
Turtle_Quality
Manic Miner

Post by Turtle_Quality »

It is tempting, especially the laptop. I have a Recreated Spectrum keyboard sitting around and was wondering about sticking a PI and battery inside and attaching a screen, the Omni would be easier. The flipside is a PI could also emulate many more platforms, but I suppose this FGPA approach should provide smoother emulation

How is the emulation ? Is the timing good enough for multi colour etc... ?

Also, what, if anything, does the WIFI get used for ? Does it help me to drop files on the Omni from my PC ? Does it emulate Spectranet or is it only accessible at the DOS level ?
Definition of loop : see loop
flatduckrecords
Manic Miner

Post by flatduckrecords »

akeley wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:18 pmLol...why old-ass youtubers always feel the need to make these daft faces in the video snapshots? It's so ridiculous :D (and one of the reasons I never watch any of them).
Clickbait! It seems to be broadly accepted that viewers will click more often on thumbnails that feature human faces. The battle for attention and the forces of algorithmic selection have lead us to the proliferation of Youtube Face. More emotive faces get more clicks, apparently! It's a bit undignified but I do like Mark's channel - though The Face has put me off some other Youtubers without even giving them a chance.
akeley
Dynamite Dan

Post by akeley »

flatduckrecords wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:31 am More emotive faces get more clicks, apparently! It's a bit undignified but I do like Mark's channel - though The Face has put me off some other Youtubers without even giving them a chance.
Lawd. Of course, it had to be yet another application of the "Monetize Everything" rule.

In this case it's more the sadder, because people like him absolutely do not need to do this. He operates in a niche field targeted at specific audience, and his content is rock solid (I read some of his written stuff before). So, I doubt channeling his inner Pewdepie actually yields any significant $$$ gains.

It's a great article, and a further proof that Internet really has ruined everything. As the author says:
"So begins the Great Brand Singularity. Corporations, humans, and machines merging in a banal orgy of commerce. The tech is currently primitive, but it’s easy to imagine scrolling through some future feed and seeing the faces of long-deceased relatives digitally grafted onto advertisements for #FappuccinoHappyHour; close friends suddenly revealed to be replicants working for foam mattress startups; augmented reality Pillsbury Doughboys stalking us on late night walks home, their soft footsteps squishing confidently along.

Given the general trajectory of things, it seems unlikely that humanity will be exterminated by a vengeful AI, as some tech luminaries predict. No — we’ll all just be rendered into one giant sentient ad for subscription cosmetic boxes."
cmal
Manic Miner

Post by cmal »

Back in March this year I ordered an Omni laptop from RetroRadionics, but it still hasn't arrived more than 4 months later. I tried reaching out to them multiple times for a status in the last 2 weeks for a status but I cannot get much more than a message saying that they received my email.

I know they have a long turnaround time for that product, around 60 days, but it seems 4 months is overly long. What are other peoples experiences and what sort of timeframe should I expect to wait?
patters
Manic Miner

Post by patters »

I'm a bit tempted to order a reproduction 128K Toastrack numeric keypad but I don't fancy waiting years until he has 100 orders or whatever the tipping point for production will be. Conflicted.
Sol_HSA
Microbot

Post by Sol_HSA »

akeley wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:18 pm Lol...why old-ass youtubers always feel the need to make these daft faces in the video snapshots? It's so ridiculous :D (and one of the reasons I never watch any of them).
Eye-tracking experiments have found that our eyes are attracted to:

1. Faces
2. Circles
3. Slightly diagonal black text on yellow background.

Keep that in mind when you see tabloid ads the next time.. ;)
Chris23235
Microbot

Post by Chris23235 »

I just found this thread by browsing the web looking for further infos on the Omni 128 Laptop. I just bought one and there are quite a few changes between the model released in 2019 and this model.
The new model has the ULA in a CPLD (as I understand the old model was based on Chris Smith's reverse engineering using discrete circuits). There is now an internal speaker and there is a WiFi module on the board. Additionally the machine now has a button for 7 MHz. Last but not least the brackets for the monitor are now made from metal which makes the machine look more sturdy.
The ESXDos versions supported are 0.86 and 0.87 now. It is not possible to flash the DIVMMC rom from the machine, you have to take the EEPROM out and use a programmer. At the moment this is no big problem as 0.88 only with support for the MB03+ Ultimate and 0.89 introduced SCL support but you can get this also from the LFN Browser. But once 0.9 is released and it has new features it will be complicated to update.
The battery runtime is about 2.5 hours with unbranded 3400 MAh Li-Ion batteries.
As always it is hard to come to information about the machine without using RetroRadionics facebook accounts as they don't have any other information channels.
ZXDunny
Manic Miner

Post by ZXDunny »

Sol_HSA wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:00 pm
Eye-tracking experiments have found that our eyes are attracted to:

1. Faces
2. Circles
3. Slightly diagonal black text on yellow background.

Keep that in mind when you see tabloid ads the next time.. ;)
4. Boobs
Chris23235 wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:08 pm I just found this thread by browsing the web looking for further infos on the Omni 128 Laptop. I just bought one and there are quite a few changes between the model released in 2019 and this model.
The new model has the ULA in a CPLD (as I understand the old model was based on Chris Smith's reverse engineering using discrete circuits). There is now an internal speaker and there is a WiFi module on the board. Additionally the machine now has a button for 7 MHz. Last but not least the brackets for the monitor are now made from metal which makes the machine look more sturdy.
The ESXDos versions supported are 0.86 and 0.87 now. It is not possible to flash the DIVMMC rom from the machine, you have to take the EEPROM out and use a programmer. At the moment this is no big problem as 0.88 only with support for the MB03+ Ultimate and 0.89 introduced SCL support but you can get this also from the LFN Browser. But once 0.9 is released and it has new features it will be complicated to update.
The battery runtime is about 2.5 hours with unbranded 3400 MAh Li-Ion batteries.
As always it is hard to come to information about the machine without using RetroRadionics facebook accounts as they don't have any other information channels.
Shipping times are also a factor. I ordered mine in April, for example. I'm unlikely to get it before this coming April.
Chris23235
Microbot

Post by Chris23235 »

ZXDunny wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:12 pm Shipping times are also a factor. I ordered mine in April, for example. I'm unlikely to get it before this coming April.
I avoided ordering from Retro Radionics, because of this the shipping time was quite fast (3 weeks from ordering to shipping).
ZXDunny
Manic Miner

Post by ZXDunny »

Just got mine. I'm in the process of building an SD card for it.

And damn I need a long filename browser. Anyone know of one that will work on the Omni?
Chris23235
Microbot

Post by Chris23235 »

ZXDunny wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:03 pm Just got mine. I'm in the process of building an SD card for it.

And damn I need a long filename browser. Anyone know of one that will work on the Omni?
You can use the long filename browser from bob_fossil

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=2553

It works fine with esxDOS 0.87 and you get the support for SCL files that the esxDOS version of the Omni lacks.
ZXDunny
Manic Miner

Post by ZXDunny »

Chris23235 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:28 pm
ZXDunny wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:03 pm Just got mine. I'm in the process of building an SD card for it.

You can use the long filename browser from bob_fossil

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=2553

It works fine with esxDOS 0.87 and you get the support for SCL files that the esxDOS version of the Omni lacks.
Yep, running it. It's got some bugs. Mostly that the whole long filename thing falls over quite quickly :)
Chris23235
Microbot

Post by Chris23235 »

Where does it fail for you? I see it some rare crashes where the screen fills with garbled stuff but when I press reset and NMI it works again and I am in the directory where it crashed.