Retro Virtual Machine ZX-Uno Emulation

Field Programmable Gate Array based devices! As exciting as they sound
PeterJ
Site Admin

Retro Virtual Machine ZX-Uno Emulation

Post by PeterJ »

I was watching the excellent video that was posted by [mention]Pegaz[/mention] on emulating the ZX-UNO with RVM (I still find the emulator very counter-intuitive, but I have to admit it has some interesting features).

viewtopic.php?p=61011#p61011

Anyway, can the emulated ZX-UNO run other cores, or is it just the Spectrum core that it can run?

Thanks
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Re: Retro Virtual Machine ZX-Uno Emulation

Post by Pegaz »

PeterJ wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:58 pm I was watching the excellent video that was posted by @Pegaz on emulating the ZX-UNO with RVM (I still find the emulator very counter-intuitive, but I have to admit it has some interesting features).

viewtopic.php?p=61011#p61011

Anyway, can the emulated ZX-UNO run other cores, or is it just the Spectrum core that it can run?

Thanks
I spoke to the author a few weeks ago and he told me that RVM emulates exclusively Spectrum core, while emulating entire FPGA would be an almost impossible job.
So, other cores are not supported, but besides that, this Uno emulation in RVM is a great tool for testing, manipulating files and preparing SD cards.
It helped me a lot to practice the procedure for all kinds of updates in Uno and reduce the brick possibility to a minimum.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Thanks [mention]Pegaz[/mention],

Recovering from a brick is not easy, although the USB Blaster is a great little device when this happens.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

[mention]chernandezba[/mention], is the ZX-UNO emulation the same in ZEsarUX, in that only the Spectrum core is supported? Thanks.
chernandezba
Microbot

Post by chernandezba »

Both RVM and ZEsarUX emulate the zxuno the same way: only the Spectrum core is emulated. Otherwise, we would have to emulate the full FPGA, which is completely beyond my goals
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

chernandezba wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:56 pm Both RVM and ZEsarUX emulate the zxuno the same way: only the Spectrum core is emulated. Otherwise, we would have to emulate the full FPGA, which is completely beyond my goals
Thanks [mention]chernandezba[/mention], I can understand that would be an impossible task!
akeley
Dynamite Dan

Post by akeley »

It's all actually getting a bit too meta imo, if you'd want to emulate a "simulated" core of an FPGA in an emulator :) Probably also an ultimate heresy for the more zealous FPGA proponents...