Spectrum utility software in python

Show us what you're working on, (preferably with screenshots).
TheDragon
Drutt

Spectrum utility software in python

Post by TheDragon »

Hello,

I've written a software suite in python (and tested it on Linux and Windows) that will translate spectrum files, code, and data.
It will convert machine code, and data, and basic to text or XML. It will also extract spectrum screen files to gifs. It will allow you to examine and manipulate .tap files, and +D/disciple disk images.
The main utility is a fully featured disassembly program with many, many features.
It come with command line controls, as a module that can be included in other software, and with it's own GUI so it can be used from the desktop without the command line.
It even has a basic spectrum number emulator.

I use it all the time for my disassembly work. I hope that someone else might find it useful also.

The URL is: https://github.com/WilliamFraser/SpectrumTranslate
Bedazzle
Manic Miner

Re: Spectrum utility software in python

Post by Bedazzle »

Wow! Nice tools.
PQR
Manic Miner

Post by PQR »

Very nice indeed. What version of Python is required?
TheDragon
Drutt

Post by TheDragon »

I wrote and tested it in both 2.7 and 3.5.
2.7 has been deprecated oifficially, but I've not removed the 2.7 code. Any bug fixes are only now tested aginst 3.7 I think is what I'm running. Also I am unable to test it on windows but the IO and text encoding aren't being chamged so it should still work.
The trickiest bit is pyqt. I spent a lot of time making it as compatible as possible. It runs with both pyqt4 and pyqt5 under both python 2 and 3. However there have been a lot of changes to pyqt5 API. The gui app still works but some other software I've written has had a lot of changes to keep it working with the current pyqt version.
I'm using spectrum translate at the moment to disassemble The Sentinel game.
Sparky
Manic Miner

Post by Sparky »

Amazing job! Which distro of Linux did you test it in?
Alex
arjun
Microbot

Post by arjun »

TheDragon wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:22 pm Also I am unable to test it on windows but the IO and text encoding aren't being chamged so it should still work.
I've tested it on Windows 10 with python 3.7 and can confirm it works beautifully. Nice work!
TheDragon
Drutt

Post by TheDragon »

Linux Mint, but the IO on all of them works the same for the purpose of SpectrumTranslate.
There are differences between how old and new versions of python translate data, and also between linux and windows. The code that does this doesn't need tampering with for any bug fixes, any new features. Even though I no longer test the older versions it should just work. As I understand it, IOS being POSIX compliant should behave similar to Linux and should also work, although I've not got any Apple hardware to test it on.
Sparky
Manic Miner

Post by Sparky »

I tried it on Debian, it seems fine. It should also work on Mac OS from what I see.
Alex