Possible toastrack issue

For experts to discuss very technical stuff and newbies to ask why the Spectrum they bought off ebay doesn't work.
beanz
Microbot

Possible toastrack issue

Post by beanz »

I just got the ZXHD from bytedelight for my 128k Toastrack and it works great.

However during testing of my toasty I attempted to load several (about 10 or so) 128k game images using my EnJoy, all failed (reboots/corrupted screen or just froze). 48k images however work fine. I'm assuming some sort of memory problem? what do you guys think and is there a software solution around to test the memory or would I need a hardware solution (and if so recommendations please).
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Re: Possible toastrack issue

Post by 1024MAK »

Well, both available diagnostic ROMs will do a full test of both all the RAM and the bank switching system. But being designed to run from ROM, they need to be either in a device/interface/expansion that can map either EPROM, EEPROM or flash to override the BASIC ROM (e.g. a diagnostic board, a SmartCard or similar). Or program to a actual EPROM chip, and put in the toastrack in place of the ROM chip.

As the machine is partially working, it is possible to have a software only version, but I don’t know if anyone has done one specially for 128k machines (software only test programs for 48k machines are available).

I don’t have time now to post links. Bump this if you want me to post links later.

Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
beanz
Microbot

Post by beanz »

bump, yes please post links when you can, thanks.

I have a Retrolium smart card version 2 but I thought that only supported 48k games so I assume the test rom wouldn't work/test the 128k..is that the case?
TomD
Manic Miner

Post by TomD »

Test ROM works fine on 128k even has some 128k testing options
Retro enthusiast and author of Flynn's Adventure in Bombland, The Order of Mazes & Maze Death Rally-X. Check them out at http://tomdalby.com
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

beanz wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:48 am bump, yes please post links when you can, thanks.

I have a Retrolium smart card version 2 but I thought that only supported 48k games so I assume the test rom wouldn't work/test the 128k..is that the case?
The diagnostic ROMs / test ROMs override the BASIC ROM, as such they will run from a suitable device including the Smart Card on 16K, 48K, +, 128K (toastrack) and +2 (grey) machines.

ZX Spectrum Diagnostic ROMs
ZX Spectrum Diagnostics,
Retroleum’s Diagnostic ROM Image for the ZX Spectrum.

Alternatively you can use the cassette tape version of the ZX Spectrum diagnostic software. The tape version is here.

There are some ‘official’ test ROMs and test programs here.

For other test programs that load from tape, see here (although WoS appears to have removed some of these downloads since I wrote that list).

Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
beanz
Microbot

Post by beanz »

Thanks