Official Next port for MiSTer

Field Programmable Gate Array based devices! As exciting as they sound
lister_of_smeg
Microbot

Official Next port for MiSTer

Post by lister_of_smeg »

An official port for the Next has appeared for the MiSTer:-

https://misterfpga.org/viewtopic.php?f= ... 417f661145

This core works with standard SDRAM modules (as opposed to requiring a custom SDRAM + SRAM module like the previous port attempt).

However, the compromise is that wait states are added when the core is running in 14MHz and 28MHz modes.

Amazingly it's by Sorgelig himself!
akeley
Dynamite Dan

Re: Official Next port for MiSTer

Post by akeley »

Whoa. Big news! But...no VGA (sob). I know it's early days but knowing Sorg's dislike of CRTs thsi option might never appear.

Still, it's quite a surprise. Watching "Next on MiSTer" was quite a rollercoaster, so this is welcome news.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Thanks for posting [mention]lister_of_smeg[/mention],

This is great news. I just started it up and seems to work very well.

I'm new to MiSTer, and I'm really enjoying the experience.

There seems to be a a feeling out there that it's hard to set-up and that you need to spend £300+, but it really is not the case. Also the Wiki on the GitHub page is excellent. It's so nice to see a project that focuses on providing good quality documentation that is current and relevant.

Can I ask what is the process for adding game files to the VHD?
lister_of_smeg
Microbot

Post by lister_of_smeg »

akeley wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:36 pm Whoa. Big news! But...no VGA (sob). I know it's early days but knowing Sorg's dislike of CRTs thsi option might never appear.

Still, it's quite a surprise. Watching "Next on MiSTer" was quite a rollercoaster, so this is welcome news.
Just remember - Sorg refused, referring to the Next as a 'fantasy computer' when initially asked if he would port it.

So, never say never! ;)
akeley
Dynamite Dan

Post by akeley »

lister_of_smeg wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:43 pm Just remember - Sorg refused, referring to the Next as a 'fantasy computer' when initially asked if he would port it.

So, never say never! ;)
Haha yes, now I remember - I thought he did, but wasn't sure if I didn't mix it up with esxdos support (which is also "pointless" :D). The man is full of surprises :D
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

PeterJ wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:42 pm Can I ask what is the process for adding game files to the VHD?
I found the answer here, for others with the same question:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/imdisk-toolkit/
lister_of_smeg
Microbot

Post by lister_of_smeg »

PeterJ wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:29 pm
PeterJ wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:42 pm Can I ask what is the process for adding game files to the VHD?
I found the answer here, for others with the same question:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/imdisk-toolkit/
Or, you can use SSH and mount it directly on the MiSTer using vhd_mount.

Code: Select all

# vhd_mount /media/fat/games/ZXNext/boot.vhd
The image should now be mounted at /media/rootfs. Now you can use SMB/FTP/SFTP/SCP etc. to copy your files over the network to this newly mounted path on the MiSTer.

When you are done copying, run the above command again to unmount the VHD.

I would strongly advise against doing this whilst the Next core is actually running, though.

You can even create a script that you can run from the MiSTer menu to mount/unmount it:-

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
vhd_mount /media/fat/games/ZXNext/boot.vhd
read -rsn1 -p"Press any key to continue";echo
Then call it something like zxnext_mount.sh and place it in the /media/fat/Scripts folder.
Last edited by lister_of_smeg on Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:48 pm, edited 9 times in total.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Thanks [mention]lister_of_smeg[/mention]

That's really useful.
namco
Manic Miner

Post by namco »

I cannot get new files onto the supplied vhd (I'm using the boot.vhd from the extras folder in the ZXNext download from github).

I've used both imdisk toolkit and the vhd_mount command but it doesn't show the new files/folders.

The only folder that it does show is the one that I created with the ZXNext core.

Edit:
It's working now.
Not sure why!
namco
Manic Miner

Post by namco »

As an additional point, thanks again for the vhd_mount command as I've just tried it on my win95 hd (AO486) and it works nicely.

Going back to the ZXNext project - I've just tried my project that is working fine in Zeus (Windows) and I think shows in CSpect but the sprite isn't showing in the core nor are the keys working.....

*headdesk*

I'll have a look at the code at some point soon.

Just annoying with all the differences in emulators/settings etc.
azesmbog
Manic Miner

Post by azesmbog »

In fairness, I would say that this is not entirely the merit of Sorgelig-a
SDRAM version apparently made for MIST author gyurco,
and Sorgelig has already been ported to MiSter - this is much easier, IMHO. But the news is good, no doubt.

The SDRAM version for MIST was released on March 8.
So think what came first - an egg or a chicken.
clebin
Manic Miner

Post by clebin »

azesmbog wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:14 pm In fairness, I would say that this is not entirely the merit of Sorgelig-a
SDRAM version apparently made for MIST author gyurco,
and Sorgelig has already been ported to MiSter - this is much easier, IMHO. But the news is good, no doubt.

The SDRAM version for MIST was released on March 8.
So think what came first - an egg or a chicken.
Oh, cool! Time to dust off my MiST and update the cores on it. I’m struggling to find the Next core though. Do you happen to have a link?
azesmbog
Manic Miner

Post by azesmbog »

clebin wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:46 am Do you happen to have a link?
https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-bina ... /cores/zxn

but better on the official forum - there is a more recent version in the comments

https://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=115&t=40270
clebin
Manic Miner

Post by clebin »

Awesome - thanks azesmbog!

I’ll report back in this thread when I’ve tried it out.
clebin
Manic Miner

Post by clebin »

Yay, it works! I just had to remember to update the firmware on my MiST and it was fine. I can even swap the SD card between the Mist and the real Next by having core.rbf in the root. Here it is running Delta's Shadow, connected to the Recreated Spectrum keyboard via USB. I had problems with a few games - the core isn't as stable and compatible as the real Next yet, but it's early days.

The Mister gets more attention these days, but the Mist is still a great little box. I love how small and neat it is with the built-in DB9 joystick ports. I'm really happy to see the Next core on it.

Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

MiST is still a great board, this Next core looks really good.
I wonder if it will work on the SIDI board as well, since it has a lot in common with Mist and Mistica...
azesmbog
Manic Miner

Post by azesmbog »

Pegaz wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:19 am I wonder if it will work on the SIDI board as well, since it has a lot in common with Mist and Mistica...
On the off forum it is written that it works on SiDi.
Slingshot continues to improve the MiST core.
Alexey also made the second version for MiSTer
desUBIKado
Microbot

Post by desUBIKado »

Pegaz wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:19 am MiST is still a great board, this Next core looks really good.
I wonder if it will work on the SIDI board as well, since it has a lot in common with Mist and Mistica...
A few hours ago ... https://www.atari-forum.com/download/file.php?id=44682
akeley
Dynamite Dan

Post by akeley »

Does the MiST version work with VGA? I mean - it must, right, since that's the only output option. Wonder if VGA/15Khz on MiSTer is really not possible or is just Sorg being Sorg again 8-)
lister_of_smeg
Microbot

Post by lister_of_smeg »

akeley wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:08 pm Does the MiST version work with VGA? I mean - it must, right, since that's the only output option. Wonder if VGA/15Khz on MiSTer is really not possible or is just Sorg being Sorg again 8-)
Is this Direct Video you're talking about? It works fine with my I/O board.
akeley
Dynamite Dan

Post by akeley »

lister_of_smeg wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:48 pm Is this Direct Video you're talking about? It works fine with my I/O board.
On a CRT? I did try briefly via Direct Video to my Trinitron but got a rolling picture. Also suggested myself by that line in readme:
"Video modes for VGA and HDMI aren't supported (MiSTer uses its own HDMI settings)."
lister_of_smeg
Microbot

Post by lister_of_smeg »

akeley wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:48 pm
lister_of_smeg wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:48 pm Is this Direct Video you're talking about? It works fine with my I/O board.
On a CRT? I did try briefly via Direct Video to my Trinitron but got a rolling picture. Also suggested myself by that line in readme:
"Video modes for VGA and HDMI aren't supported (MiSTer uses its own HDMI settings)."
It does sound like Direct Video that's referring to.

15kHz via the I/O board works fine on my Trinny. I don't have anything that syncs to 31kHz so I don't know about VGA, though.
akeley
Dynamite Dan

Post by akeley »

Ha! Managed to get it running on my VGA CRT monitor. Not perfect, the scaling is a bit off, might be something with the settings. But it was nice to finally see this legendary machine in action, even if it's only "simulated" one :)