Manic Miner finishers

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
R-Tape
Site Admin

Manic Miner finishers

Post by R-Tape »

After seeing [mention]RoseTintedSpectrum[/mention]'s fantastic feed last Sunday, and the progress he made during it, I've feel spurred on to finally complete Manic Miner. I liked RoseTinted's methodical approach of taking notes as he went, and training the harder levels from snapshots. It was impressive how that got him very close to completing it, even after suffering a 12 hour stint and a lunatic singing at him at the end.

After a bit of practice, I'm nearly back to my previous personal best of reaching the Warehouse every time. Reliably getting past that, and sussing out the Solar Power Generator are the main obstacles to get through.

Is completing MM on your bucket list too? Post your progress here if so—it can be done!
Mpk
Dynamite Dan

Re: Manic Miner finishers

Post by Mpk »

Wait, he didn't finish it? I only managed to tune in for a few minutes here and there, but I did catch him beating levels 19 and 20. I guess he didn't get a full run together.

I finally finished it last September, which was possibly the highlight of 2020.

Let me know if you need any HOT TIPS from an EXPERT.

Warehouse was one of my favourites to figure out. Those Amoebatrons can go to hell though.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Mpk wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:36 pm Wait, he didn't finish it? I only managed to tune in for a few minutes here and there, but I did catch him beating levels 19 and 20. I guess he didn't get a full run together.
Yep you must have seen the training snapshots. I think the best full run was right at the end when he came very close to finishing the Solar Power Generator.

I'm not there yet - but Solar Power Generator tips would be welcome.
Hedge1970
Manic Miner

Post by Hedge1970 »

I can't help with tips but around 10 years ago I set out to complete it and after a while managed it. Its one of those games that loops back to the beginning and then you start to accumulate lives! Good luck everyone....

Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

Cool idea, I'm game (or whatever)...

I keep forgetting exactly how far I've got with this game, though I think I've made it past the Telephones screen on a normal play-through. It's one of those games that'd be great to be able to complete on my Speccy, rather than emulation.

I've got a feeling the Solar Power Generator will become the main stumbling block, I'm inclined to practice that one a bit - I can convince myself that snapshots for practice are fair game, just because of 6031769.. ;)
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
bluespikey
Manic Miner

Post by bluespikey »

Theres more than one screen?! I need to practice.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Morkin wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:16 pm I can convince myself that snapshots for practice are fair game, just because of 6031769.. ;)
I'd say training snapshots are fair game even without that cheat, as long as it ends in a 'bread and water' full run. I dread to think how long it'd take to memorise the Skylab Landing bay if I only had 3 goes and it took 15 minutes to get there each time!

It's strange how the Sixteenth Cavern seems to get harder the more you do it.
bluespikey wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:35 pm Theres more than one screen?! I need to practice.
If you can shoot your way through the Air Wolf wall, you can probably clock MM a few times.
AndyC
Dynamite Dan

Post by AndyC »

I can do it, but it's mostly just muscle memory at this point. Snapshots might help although having to replay the game over and over back in the day is probably why the timings of certain screens are just burned into my brain.
Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Post by Jbizzel »

I completed it using snapshots many years ago, and that was hard enough!

I'd love to do it though, it's one of my favourite spectrum games.

And that's not from nostalgia as I never heard of it back in the day - I was a 1989-onwards game player back then.
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

I have completed it in recent years, but I'm not sure I could do it straight off on request!
There are a couple of levels I don't have a practised plan for (Solar Power being one) and I've probably forgotten the sequence for Skylab and the best way of doing the Ore Refinery. I can do Warehouse though as I had to practise that one a lot to get through it.

Why snapshots for practise though? You do know there's a level skip, right..? :lol:
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Jbizzel wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:07 pm I was a 1989-onwards game player back then.
Similar here, but I did get enough experience of MM for the first two levels to be burned into my memory. I think that's why I feel a frisson of nerves and 'big boy territory' when I reach The Menagerie even still. It's fascinating that it was still a game of note for some so late in the 80s.
I'd love to do it though, it's one of my favourite spectrum games.
You know what to do!
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Joefish wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:45 pm I have completed it in recent years, but I'm not sure I could do it straight off on request!
I'll wager a fiver you'd get to Skylab, or very close. I reckon Eugene's Lair, The Vat and Mutant Telephones are the biggest risk for the rusty (en-route to Skylab). When I tried this a year or so back, I even made the heinous error of not collecting 'that brick' last on Eugene.
There are a couple of levels I don't have a practised plan for (Solar Power being one) and I've probably forgotten the sequence for Skylab and the best way of doing the Ore Refinery. I can do Warehouse though as I had to practise that one a lot to get through it.
I'm surprised how well just watching RoseTinted play The Warehouse prepped me for actually doing it!
clebin
Manic Miner

Post by clebin »

I completed it for the first time in the SC high score competition last year. It was definitely on my bucket list until then. Incredibly satisfying to finally do it.

Skylab Landing Bay is simple when you know the sequence but I think the Warehouse and Solar Power Generator will always be a nightmare to get past.
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

Just had a go at this. I decided to save a snapshot once I completed a screen, just so I could practice problematic ones in future (without having to refer to the keyboard code combinations!). Got as far as the Skylab Landing Bay before finishing for today.

I don't know how to complete a lot of screens, especially including Solar Power Generator (which I haven't got to yet), so I've decided to have a proper crack at working out routes on screens myself, rather than jumping to a walkthrough.

A few thoughts so far:
  • The Vat for me at the moment is about a 60/40 success rate. I'm sure I haven't got the optimal route through the sinking platforms but I reckon I'll stick with my method as it seems to work...
  • I was stuck on Attack of the Mutant Telephones for ages, I've now finally got a route. Annoyingly I thought it was something like screen 15, but it's only 11, so I probably never got that far on 'honest' plays back in the day
  • I didn't remember Ore Refinery at all, but managed to do it on my first try. I think there are a few screens like that where I just randomly get the correct timing mainly through sheer luck, but I might have to re-do so I can get a proper route.
Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Post by Jbizzel »

I have also played it quite a bit on the z88 where you can only see 2/3rds or the screen. It's highly playable but the screen size offers a new challenge!
Bubu
Manic Miner

Post by Bubu »

You mean... finish the Manic Miner??? No pokes or szx files or cheats...?
If something works, don't touch it !!!! at all !!!
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

Bubu wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:52 pm You mean... finish the Manic Miner??? No pokes or szx files or cheats...?
We're allowed to use snapshots etc. to practice the different levels etc., but eventually each of us is aiming to be able to finish it properly in a single playthrough (i.e. without snapshots, POKEs etc.).

As there are only 20 screens, most of it is learning routes and a bit of practice. Many people have already done it, so for a lot of us who are bad or average games players it feels like it's achievable... :)
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Morkin wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:45 pm Just had a go at this. I decided to save a snapshot once I completed a screen, just so I could practice problematic ones in future (without having to refer to the keyboard code combinations!). Got as far as the Skylab Landing Bay before finishing for today.
Good work - reached the first proper biggy!

The Ore Refinery is one to be careful of. There are loads of ways it can be done, but I've decided on a safe route that I'll stick to. Most times I try and busk that one I mess it up.

Reached the Solar Power Generator last night! Score 32331. Nearly finished it too, but messed up in the haste and confusion of the sunlight. Then, rather cruelly, the restart for that level has you walking immediately into a baddy if you're still pressing a key.
clebin
Manic Miner

Post by clebin »

R-Tape wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:50 am Reached the Solar Power Generator last night! Score 32331. Nearly finished it too, but messed up in the haste and confusion of the sunlight. Then, rather cruelly, the restart for that level has you walking immediately into a baddy if you're still pressing a key.
Ooh, so close! The last cavern is much easier by comparison but I still managed to mess it up a few times in the excitement before I finally got it right.
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

...I'm already scared of the Solar Power Generator, and I haven't got there yet. :shock:

Out of interest, on the first Kong Beast screen, are people going for the second switch to topple Kong or not bothering?
WhatHoSnorkers
Manic Miner

Post by WhatHoSnorkers »

He did so well. I think the advantage of going for the second switch and taking out Kong is that you get 2,500 points.

I reckon RoseTintedSpectrum will get the clear within a few weeks. It's tougher doing it live, chatting, after 12 hours and having someone wearing a mixing bowl going all Norman Collier in your earhole!
I have a little YouTube channel of nonsense
https://www.youtube.com/c/JamesOGradyWhatHoSnorkers
cmal
Manic Miner

Post by cmal »

I may as well jump on the Manic Miner bandwagon. My bucket list has been updated and I'm set to go. I feel like I have some catching up to do. Some of the mentioned levels are totally unknown to me. :oops:
RoseTintedSpectrum
Dizzy

Post by RoseTintedSpectrum »

Lovely to see this kicking off on the back of the stream, and thanks for the kind words. Even after 12 hours, I was still enjoying the game - I even gave it another go the very next day...

Still didn't beat it :|

My highest run so far is Level 19, but I ran out of air a few steps from the exit. Close though. I'll get it one day yet!
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Morkin wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:48 pm Out of interest, on the first Kong Beast screen, are people going for the second switch to topple Kong or not bothering?
Once or twice I've considered missing them out for faster progress, but every time gone for it. I don't think I'd be entirely satisfied if I finished it without getting the Kongs.

Is there a Hi-Score for a MM run that ends after the Final Barrier? (i.e. no clocking). The Antstream tables looks like it has some clocked scores like [mention]namco[/mention]'s. Presumably it's been done—I suppose the holy grail is to complete MM while deliberately die-ing right at the end of each Kong level until you have one life left. It may be cheesing but I'd still respect it!
Mpk
Dynamite Dan

Post by Mpk »

Morkin wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:48 pm Out of interest, on the first Kong Beast screen, are people going for the second switch to topple Kong or not bothering?
Best to do it as you get 3500 points, which is 35% of a life. Every little helps.