Manic Miner finishers

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
Mpk
Dynamite Dan

Re: Manic Miner finishers

Post by Mpk »

clebin wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:42 pm
Mpk wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:37 am I do Warehouse entirely differently, for what it's worth.
Do tell!
I drop down to the bottom left corner after getting the first key, then jump over the red walker. You might have to wait a cycle or two to get the blue thing synced with the red, but you're on solid ground so you can take your time. Then start moving just as the red is at his right-most, and blue is just reaching the top. Jump red - don't jump too late because you'll head-bang the spikey thing - and jump over cyan and you're set.
Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Post by Jbizzel »

I just made it to the endorian forest without dropping a life. First time ever that I've got that far without saves - the training is paying off!

Half way. 10 to go!
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

....Weeelllll, it appears I'm an idiot.

...Up until a sudden moment of clarity I had no less than an hour ago, here's the route I was taking on the Mutant Telephones screen:

Anyone notice the problem here...?

Just a bit embarrassed that it took this long before I'd figured out my mistake... :oops: :oops: :oops:
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
cmal
Manic Miner

Post by cmal »

Morkin wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:41 pm Anyone notice the problem here...?

Just a bit embarrassed that it took this long before I'd figured out my mistake... :oops: :oops: :oops:
It looks like you took the long way to get to the bottom. You could have dropped down on the left and collected the blue and yellow things, then collected those top things on your way back to the exit.

Not to worry - I played last night and lost most of my lives in Eugene's Lair :oops:
Need more practice!
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

cmal wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:58 pm
Morkin wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:41 pm Anyone notice the problem here...?

It looks like you took the long way to get to the bottom. You could have dropped down on the left and collected the blue and yellow things, then collected those top things on your way back to the exit.

Not to worry - I played last night and lost most of my lives in Eugene's Lair :oops:
Need more practice!
Yep, that's what I'd missed, and incredibly, all this time I've been doing something similar in The Processing Plant.

On a plus side, I just tried a quick run through attempt from the start and incredibly managed to get all the way through to The Warehouse with a score of 32,600... I think that might be the highest screen number I've got to in my life, without using 6031769. :D

I've been avoiding watching [mention]R-Tape[/mention]'s animated gif as I quite like trying to figure out the routes through the screens myself unless I'm completely stuck... Not sure how well I'll get on if/when I get to the dreaded Solar Power Generator though...
Mpk
Dynamite Dan

Post by Mpk »

Morkin wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:41 pm ....Weeelllll, it appears I'm an idiot.
Well, me too. I've been doing exactly the same.
clebin
Manic Miner

Post by clebin »

Mpk wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:30 pm Well, me too. I've been doing exactly the same.
And me.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Jbizzel wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:12 pm I just made it to the endorian forest without dropping a life. First time ever that I've got that far without saves - the training is paying off!

Half way. 10 to go!
Morkin wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:36 pm On a plus side, I just tried a quick run through attempt from the start and incredibly managed to get all the way through to The Warehouse with a score of 32,600... I think that might be the highest screen number I've got to in my life, without using 6031769. :D
Woot!

It's important to remember that we're all at varying stages on our Manic Miner Journey, and be strong—you will get there.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Woot!

It's important to remember that we're all at varying stages on our Manic Miner Journey, and be strong—you will get there.
However, until then...

Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Post by Jbizzel »

R-Tape wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:46 pm
Woot!

However, until then...

Come on, it's only been 30 years. :D
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

Had another go at lunchtime. Holey moley it's difficult... :cry:

I seem to miss that jump from the bottom left to the conveyor belt quite a lot... Problem is, missing a single jump has usually resulted in 'level over' for me due to the air drain. Though there could be a more efficient route I'm missing.

I did finish the screen once with a tiny bit of air left, but every other attempt I've made, I've run out of air way before the exit.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Yeah there are two infuriatingly long jumps on this level. I managed a route (including a few jumps on the spot to avoid the beam) that allows time for a fail or two, but the bottom one has the additional nightmare of not hitting the red baddy.
clebin
Manic Miner

Post by clebin »

Well, would you look at that finishing score!

Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Post by Jbizzel »

Got further today. 6 screens from victory.

Why is the first level called "central cavern"? If it's the first level then is that the deepest part of the mine? Then if wouldn't be central? Is it just alliteration?
Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Post by Jbizzel »

Now this is a challenge.... Actually made it to the next level .but this was a good landmark....

R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Jbizzel wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 9:20 pm Now this is a challenge.... Actually made it to the next level .but this was a good landmark....
Crikey that's neat. Keep going - we want to see every level! (though of course, you still need to complete it on the Speccy, but you'll be match fit).
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

And because I believe in encouragement and inclusivity...

Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Post by Jbizzel »

I'm stuck on the last level. I can't make a reliable run through it. That stupid red ball thingy at the bottom middle
Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Post by Jbizzel »

[media]https://youtu.be/5r_iluucq7M[/media]

I still enjoyed this moment.... :D
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

Gah...! Those pesky flippin' jumps..!

R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Yeah they are so frustrating. Keep going you're nearly there. And take it from me - once you lose the match fitness, the thought of having to regain it is terrifying!
Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Post by Jbizzel »

R-Tape wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 4:37 pm Yeah they are so frustrating. Keep going you're nearly there. And take it from me - once you lose the match fitness, the thought of having to regain it is terrifying!
I am in exactly this situation. At the start of this I could get to somewhere around Eugene. Now I can comfortably get about 3 quarters of the way.

But when I was 'in training' a few weeks ago I had a Jedi like way with certain levels, like sky lab etc. Where I didn't even focus on where things were on the screen, I just knew *when* to jump. And it was all about a sense of timing rather than understanding the movements of the objects... If that makes sense?

But I just couldn't find my groove with that last level. The red ball thing. I just couldn't get in the groove. I managed to finish the game but I used a save state half way through the level - I know this doesnt count. I parked the game after that. But it's nagging at me. What an effort it will be, just to get back to where I was! 😬😐😩
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Jbizzel wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:32 pm But I just couldn't find my groove with that last level. The red ball thing. I just couldn't get in the groove.
Similar here. Most levels I managed that Jedi-like feel where I could complete them without really thinking about it, and the ones I couldn't do that (Warehouse and Skylab) I just found a way and did it robotically (if I messed up, I'd probably have to start again). I couldn't 100% confidently use either method with the Solar Power Generator—but thankfully I had built up enough lives to get through.

Taking a snapshot of the SPG and repeating until the fear reduces helps a bit!
Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Post by Jbizzel »

[mention]R-Tape[/mention] yes, the warehouse

The horror!

That one almost broke me tbh. I totally get what you mean there. I have no jedi skills on that one. I still risk dropping a bunch of lives on it.

At the moment I'm doing loads of z88 stuff and learning C. But I will come back to this. I must do it!