Fuse on a Pi zero in a ZX spectrum case.HELP!!!!!

Struggling with Fuse or trying to find an emulator with a specific feature. Ask your questions here.
oO cozy Oo
Manic Miner

Fuse on a Pi zero in a ZX spectrum case.HELP!!!!!

Post by oO cozy Oo »

Got the Pi zero booting straight into Fuse and the keyboard working,The whole project cost me about £100.I got all brand new zx spectrum parts (£62) i also added micro sd extention cable and usb cables, Games work great and im using a usb joypad, but i cannot save a new snapshot as there`s no TAB option on the zx keyboard to enter a new name for the snapshot in fuse, any ideas please also here`s some pics

Be Safe! Be Happy! and have some Speccy FUN!!!
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Re: Fuse on a Pi zero in a ZX spectrum case.HELP!!!!!

Post by Pegaz »

You need some kind of switch from 48k keyboard mode to an alternative layout, which will replace the missing TAB and function keys.
This project uses a small phyton script that controls the keys layout in raspbian.
https://mrpjevans.com/zx-raspberry-version-2/
Your project and Baremulator for example, also use direct contact with the GPIO connector, so it is necessary to find a similar software solution.
Can you give more details about your project, especially about connecting the Spectrum keyboard to Pi Zero and the way you did the straight boot in Fuse.
What is the boot time, from the moment Zero power on, to the moment the Sinclair logo appears ?
oO cozy Oo
Manic Miner

Post by oO cozy Oo »

Thanks for the reply, I've got a switch so I can use f1 to bring up the fuse menu , I'll look into that, the boot time is about 30 seconds I'm using sinclairlan image.
oO cozy Oo
Manic Miner

Post by oO cozy Oo »

The pi zero image i used is here "h**ps://ianwilliamhill.co.uk/sinclairian/index.php" hope that helps
Also the shinny metal block in the middle is to give the speccy some weight as it was a bit light.
Last edited by oO cozy Oo on Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oO cozy Oo
Manic Miner

Post by oO cozy Oo »

I`ve sorted the TAB issue so now I can create a new snap image, when I`ve got so far in a game I can save!!
I change the some lines in the zxscanner.py script see below, so when I trigger the button to set to a keyboard T now means TAB on the speccy keyboard! and when i press the button it reverts back to a speccy keyboard to i can use the letter T again.

Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

It looks interesting, especially this option to connect the original keyboard via GPIO connector.
With some improvements in the startup sequence, the boot time could be lowered a lot, it would also be worth trying Pi 3A+, which is much faster.
As far as I can see, the same mrpjevans python script is also used here to scan the GPIO connector, from its project that I mentioned in the previous post.
This probably means that you should map the TAB key within a python script, with some key combo...
I’m pretty busy right now, but I’ll have to take a closer look at this, but it seems to have the potential as a very good alternative to Baremulator with all Fuse features including save option.
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

oO cozy Oo wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:54 pm I`ve sorted the TAB issue so now I can create a new snap image, when I`ve got so far in a game I can save!!
I change the some lines in the zxscanner.py script see below, so when I trigger the button to set to a keyboard T now means TAB on the speccy keyboard! and when i press the button it reverts back to a speccy keyboard to i can use the letter T again.
Well done, I just wrote a message about it, but you've already solved the problem. :)
oO cozy Oo
Manic Miner

Post by oO cozy Oo »

Pegaz wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:14 pm It looks interesting, especially this option to connect the original keyboard via GPIO connector.
With some improvements in the startup sequence, the boot time could be lowered a lot, it would also be worth trying Pi 3A+, which is much faster.
As far as I can see, the same mrpjevans python script is also used here to scan the GPIO connector, from its project that I mentioned in the previous post.
This probably means that you should map the TAB key within a python script, with some key combo...
I’m pretty busy right now, but I’ll have to take a closer look at this, but it seems to have the potential as a very good alternative to Baremulator with all Fuse features including save option.
I had a zero lying around but if i was to buy a new one id use a Pi 3 a+
oO cozy Oo
Manic Miner

Post by oO cozy Oo »

Pegaz wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:17 pm
oO cozy Oo wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:54 pm I`ve sorted the TAB issue so now I can create a new snap image, when I`ve got so far in a game I can save!!
Well done, I just wrote a message about it, but you've already solved the problem. :)
Thanks for the reply
oO cozy Oo
Manic Miner

Post by oO cozy Oo »

Finally finished and all working!! thanks for the replies guys and girls :D :D :D

Lgodinho
Drutt

Post by Lgodinho »

Hi, everyone!
I’ve tried to do the same project as oO cozy Oo but the original ZX keyboard via GPIO connector is not working.
The pi zero image i used is a new version (v2) of Sinclairian (FUSE) software with the zxscanner scripts already pre-installed downloaded from the blog "h**ps://ianwilliamhill.co.uk/sinclairian/index.php", but unfortunatly it doesn’t work for me.
So I need a realy good help from an expert, because I am completely null on linux software programming.
For your information, I’ve followed the instructions from the project of Ian William Hill Blog “h**ps://ianwilliamhill.co.uk/rpispectrum/” with the ZXBaremulator software and the ZX original keyboard worked just fine, but the sound wasn’t supported on the Pi zero, so I turned to the Sinclairian software.
Could someone please, send me a link for a Raspberry zero image of Sinclairian or Retropie software with the original ZX spectrum keyboard already installed like José Luis did for is ZXBaremulator software?
I’ve tried to do it by myself, but as I said before I’m not familiariezed with linux programming and I can’t understand the instructions given by PJ Evans on is blog “h**ps://github.com/mrpjevans/zxscanner". :?
Hereunder you can find a picture of my project.

Many thanks in advance,
Regards,
Luís Godinho

p.s. Sorry for my poor english :oops:

Lgodinho
Drutt

Post by Lgodinho »

oO cozy Oo wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:33 pm Finally finished and all working!! thanks for the replies guys and girls :D :D :D

Hello Cozy,

I've tried do follow the same project with Sinclairian, as you did, but i am stuck with the keyboard connection to my raspberry zero W.
I know it works because with the ZXBaremulator the keyboard is working just fine, but i have the sound problem with the Rpi Zero. :?
My GPIO's pins connection is the same as the MagPi 67 magazine ([17,27,22,18,23]-[5,6,13,19,26,16,20,21]).
Could you please help me?
It makes two weeks that i am trying to make it work and no way ... :(
It will be nice of you, if you could give me a clone of your image with the keyboard functioning ?

Best regards,
Luís Godinho
oO cozy Oo
Manic Miner

Post by oO cozy Oo »

@Lgodinho

Its been a log time since I used this, I took it apart when I got my zx Sizif 512k.I remember that I loaded the sd card with sinclairian2 on a pi running Linux and looking for the python scrip file called "zxscanner.py" and changing the pins to match the zx baremulator ones.
Something like this :-
This is the pins layout you need,

# MagPi Article Mappings
#

# KB1 (BCOM GPIO pins)
#dataLines = [26,19,13,6,5]

# KB1 (BCOM GPIO pins)
#addressLines = [25,24,23,22,27,18,17,4]

#
# Original Mappings <- Use these!
#

# KB1 (BCOM GPIO pins)
dataLines = [26,19,13,6,5]

# KB1 (BCOM GPIO pins)
addressLines = [25,24,23,22,27,18,17,4]

Sinclairian uses these pin layout:-

The new version has the zxscanner scripts pre-installed, so you can hook up the Spectrum 48K membrane with a simple home made connector. For details how to do this see here, and for reference the GPIO pin numbers used for the membrane are 17 27 22 18 23 and 5 6 13 19 26 16 20 21

I have deleted the image now sorry so cannot upload it.

So sinclairian2 and zxbaremulator do not use the same GPIO layout download MagPi57 pdf and look at page 27.

Sorry
Lgodinho
Drutt

Post by Lgodinho »

Thanks to you, i have some keys that work for the moment…
I guess that i have to change the entire scrip file called "zxscanner.py" by the one of Mr P. Jevans from is site “h**ps://github.com/mrpjevans/zxscanner”, made for Retropie with the original mappings, like those I used on the GPIO pins connection (the same as described on MagPi magazine n.º 67).
#
# Original Mappings <- Use these!
#

# KB1 (BCOM GPIO pins)
dataLines = [26,19,13,6,5]

# KB1 (BCOM GPIO pins)
addressLines = [25,24,23,22,27,18,17,4]
Thanks for your answer !!!
I’m closer than ever to achieve paradise… :P
Regards,
Luís Godinho
Lgodinho
Drutt

Post by Lgodinho »

Hie Cozy,

Do you still have a copy of the zxscanner.py script file you used ? Please !
Only half of the keys are working correctly ... :x

Many thanks in advance,

Luís
oO cozy Oo
Manic Miner

Post by oO cozy Oo »

@Lgodinho

Here`s the script I adjusted from the original

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UtZ4dK ... share_link
Lgodinho
Drutt

Post by Lgodinho »

oO cozy Oo wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:49 pm @Lgodinho

Here`s the script I adjusted from the original

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UtZ4dK ... share_link
:dance :dance :dance :dance :dance :dance :dance :dance :dance :dance :dance :dance :dance
Wonderfull !!!!
Many thanks for your help, cozy !!!!
I finaly get it to work correctly !!!!
:dance :dance :dance :dance :dance :dance :dance :dance :dance :dance :dance :dance :dance
oO cozy Oo
Manic Miner

Post by oO cozy Oo »

Glad it worked :dance :dance :dance :dance :dance