ZXBaremulator v3.0

Struggling with Fuse or trying to find an emulator with a specific feature. Ask your questions here.
adonet
Berk

Re: ZXBaremulator v3.0

Post by adonet » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:25 am

Is there anyone who got this Baremulator working with a conversion kit from here: http://blog.tynemouthsoftware.co.uk/201 ... -kits.html
I build this into my old Lo>>profile keyboard, but it doesn't work really well. In FUSE, FBZX, Eighty-one and ZEsarUX this keyboard performs fine.
0 x
I am Using ZX Machines since 1981.

zx81
Berk

Post by zx81 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:36 am

adonet wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:25 am
Is there anyone who got this Baremulator working with a conversion kit from here: http://blog.tynemouthsoftware.co.uk/201 ... -kits.html
I build this into my old Lo>>profile keyboard, but it doesn't work really well. In FUSE, FBZX, Eighty-one and ZEsarUX this keyboard performs fine.
ZXBaremulator don't uses an operating system and nothing is magical. The last beta (3.H.6) supports the ZX Recreated keyboard. I don't know how works these new conversion kit. Hard to add support for it.
0 x

adonet
Berk

Post by adonet » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:17 pm

Hi ZX81, I do understand that. It is just the case that this conversion kit converts the old Spectrum keyboard to an USB keyboard and makes outputs in 2 modes. The first one is an ordinairy ZX Spectrum. Other emulators interpret the keypresses right. And the secons one is a USB keyboard mode for use in other cases than emulators.
I already contacted the maker of this converion kit to ask him more technical details of his output.

for now I only have this:
Spectrum Mode

keyboard mode
Direct

CAPS shift

Symbol shift

Can you give me a clue which file contains the keyboard layout in your baremulator? I am willing to try myself to make a usable keyboard interpretation function if that is possible.
0 x

adonet
Berk

Post by adonet » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:15 am

adonet wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:17 pm
Hi ZX81, I do understand that. It is just the case that this conversion kit converts the old Spectrum keyboard to an USB keyboard and makes outputs in 2 modes. The first one is an ordinairy ZX Spectrum. Other emulators interpret the keypresses right. And the secons one is a USB keyboard mode for use in other cases than emulators.
I already contacted the maker of this converion kit to ask him more technical details of his output.

for now I only have this:
Spectrum Mode

keyboard mode
Direct

CAPS shift

Symbol shift

Can you give me a clue which file contains the keyboard layout in your baremulator? I am willing to try myself to make a usable keyboard interpretation function if that is possible.
I 'd like to add one more point of information. The conversion kit 's output is the same as the output of a brittish UK english keyboard.
0 x

zx81
Berk

Post by zx81 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:44 am

adonet wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:17 pm

An ordinary USB keyboard don't have a "ZX Spectrum mode". To work with ZXBaremulator the keyboard needs to be a civilized HID USB device with a boot descriptor. Has you tried the USB keyboard mode?

The keyboard handling is developed in C++, don't uses any table.

You can try this kernel image, suitable for PI-2/3. This kernel shows on the screen the keys sended by the keyboard. You can see the difference between keyboard modes.
0 x

adonet
Berk

Post by adonet » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:42 pm

Hi ZX81
Together with which files should I use this kernel? I can't get it to work. It only produces a black screen on my monitor.
0 x

zx81
Berk

Post by zx81 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:47 am

adonet wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:42 pm
Hi ZX81
Together with which files should I use this kernel? I can't get it to work. It only produces a black screen on my monitor.
The files bootcode.bin, start.elf, fixup.dat & config.txt are mandatory. You should put the *.dtb files too. The easy way to run these kernel is rename the ZXBaremulator kernel7.img file and copy the test kernel.
0 x

hikoki
Manic Miner

Post by hikoki » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:51 pm

adonet wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:42 pm
Hi ZX81
This happened to me with one TV. Try this on your config.txt
# uncomment if hdmi display is not detected and composite is being output
hdmi_force_hotplug=1
0 x

adonet
Berk

Post by adonet » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:15 pm

On two different monitors I don't get an image. One monitor just remains black, the other says "invalid signal".
So that's it for now for the testing.

With the normal kernel7 the Baremulator just boots fine.
0 x

zx81
Berk

Post by zx81 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:38 am

Check that on cmdline.txt file you don't have that: 'logdev=ttyS1'. These config redirects log output to serial port, so the screen stays black.
0 x