File browser for Spectranet/tnfs - TNFS Explorer

Show us what you're working on, (preferably with screenshots).
MonkZy
Manic Miner

File browser for Spectranet/tnfs - TNFS Explorer

Post by MonkZy »

I use a spectranet card on my 48k+ Spectrum, along with a tnfs server running on a Pi3. I do not own a divIDE type card so I use this setup for all of my file loading on the Spectrum. I was finding it a pain having to type the filename so I have written a file browser. The GUI is written in assembly but I use BASIC to launch the selected files.

The arrows show if there are more files above or below. There are 4 launchable files .tap, .sna, .scr, .zx. Each file type has an icon.

This version is held together with duct-tape and cable ties. I tackled each process as a seperate task and have created a rather inefficient piece of code. The sort routine is ghastly. I have already thought of a much better way. The scroll routines need help. I want a scroll like the one in the disk mag."Subliminal Extacy" :D. For these reasons I have titled this release 'Heath Robinson Edition'. It is functional however, and I am using it daily on my spectrum. I will post in this thread as soon as a polished version is complete.

Known issues :

1. Directories containing more than 256 files will cause issues.
2. If the path exceeds 30 or so chars things will get messy.
3. You may run out of memory and crash in directories with many files. The memory meter shows bytes remaining.

To Do for next release:

1. Scroll the selected filename when it is longer than screen width.
2. Better path display to handle long paths.
3. Load SCREEN$ from assembly. Currently the code RET's to BASIC forcing a directory reload after viewing the image.
4. Complete code refactor for the sort routine.
5. Better icon for .scr files.

I made a short video with a very cheap EZCAP capture stick. Running on my 48k+.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c28xbGQDlL8

DOWNLOAD LINK:

tnfs-explorer.tap

I looked around on the net for a tnfs file browser but could not find one, please let me know if there is a similar tool already out there.
p13z
Manic Miner

Re: File browser for Spectranet/tnfs - TNFS Explorer

Post by p13z »

Excellent stuff, thanks.
I think this is possibly the only TNFS file browser around.
I used to have one written in BASIC on my old TNFS, but it was very limited,
and I've not come across one since.
cha05e90
Dizzy

Post by cha05e90 »

Just to say: I'm a proud owner of a Spectranet since some weeks and this one is really nice. Just generated a boot.zx which starts the TNFS Explorer. Very convenient. Thumbs up!
48K/+/+/+/+128K/Vega/Next&80/81&88
Bubu
Manic Miner

Post by Bubu »

Great, [mention]MonkZy[/mention], veeery great!!!

One question: would you know how to modify the FatWARE program that is inside a divIDE? I was trying to modify it as it could jump between pages instead of going 1 by 1 in list games, but I gave up...
If something works, don't touch it !!!! at all !!!
MonkZy
Manic Miner

Post by MonkZy »

Thanks for the feedback :)

[mention]p13z[/mention] I think tnfs is largely used as a BBS type affair, which is the spirit of it, unlike divIDE devices which are dedicated file storage devices. I use my spectranet for both surfing and loading, so I had a need for a browser. My browser was not designed to browse other peoples shares, although you can use it for this fairly easily. I love your tnfs server..been back a few times and need one more visit to crack the bigger mini game..cocked up up on the last bit. It really is good :D

[mention]cha05e90[/mention] I am glad you are using it. I had to figure out some stuff to get it to work from auto boot. The keyboard flag is set to 'K' after an autoboot but after a LOAD "" it is set to 'L'..which is pretty obvious, you would think :D I will be releasing an update in the next month or so. This is a working preBeta.

[mention]Bubu[/mention] I have no knowledge of divIDE devices. I may have a closer look at divIDE in the future, esxDOS really interests me.