SiDi Next Core

Field Programmable Gate Array based devices! As exciting as they sound
PeterJ
Site Admin

Re: SiDi Next Core

Post by PeterJ »

akeley wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 8:05 pm Hah...it's never easy, eh? 8-)

Do you guys have a link to some ATM games/collection I could try on my TS-Conf?
There is quite a selection in the database (56 entries). [mention]4thRock[/mention] worked with [mention]Alone Coder[/mention] on this.
Alone Coder
Manic Miner

Post by Alone Coder »

TS-conf is incompatible with ATM-Turbo, so it's no use. Of all ATM-Turbo features, it only emulates COVOX at port #FB. A useful ATM-Turbo 2+ emulation requires at least its memory mapper (two mappings of 4 windows) and its extra video modes (there are 3: hires, EGA (with the same addressing as hires), and textmode).
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

I'm sure if the ATM has been put in a nice case like the Next and made more accessible and available to a western audience that it would be more successful outside of Russia. [mention]Alone Coder[/mention] tells me that Russia does not have access to Kickstarter.
azesmbog
Manic Miner

Post by azesmbog »

Dima, have you ever looked into the HDL sources yourself? and I looked in, and even compiled in an ancient cactus.
Well, it's not so easy to transfer this code completely to the FPGA - you need to add a processor, throw out your ancient memory, throw out completely atmel-ku.
Not all programmers are genius like you.
We went out for a walk.
I transferred the code to a more or less decent dev-board, it even compiles, there is even synchronization, but that's all for now. There is no one to help. I don't have a live Eva to watch how and what :)
upd:
Okay. I understood.
There are two ways to implement ATM - the long way is to recreate the base-conf on a modern dev-board, the short way is to add ports and a perverted memory mapper to the existing pentagon configurations.
Will this be minimal enough to run most applications ??
Alone Coder
Manic Miner

Post by Alone Coder »

The Pentagon way is simpler. However, baseconf has its pros: all in all, it was created to "run almost every piece of software, and if it won't run, we will fix it". Its ROM is very powerful because of that. If you start adding features to Pentagon firmware, you might end with something like baseconf, so try to keep it compatible to just use the ZX Evo ROM :)
However, baseconf has no Profi support, and through all these years we haven't found the sources of even a single Profi program (of ~180). So the plan is to emulate Profi in zxzxemul (in NedoOS), but it will be very slow. If your firmware supports 28 MHz virtual Z80 (as in Pentagon 2.666LE), it will run no faster than 1/2 of true Profi speed.