How is the MISTER in regards to the Speccy?

Field Programmable Gate Array based devices! As exciting as they sound
Sparky
Manic Miner

How is the MISTER in regards to the Speccy?

Post by Sparky »

I just found out about the MiSTER from a YouTube video I was watching a few days ago.
Anyone own one? How is the Speccy emulation on it?
Can it emulate other computers at the same time? I mean can you load other emulators? I'm not sure how it works.
Alex
PeterJ
Site Admin

Re: How is the MISTER in regards to the Speccy?

Post by PeterJ »

[mention]Sparky[/mention]

Please read here for an excellent FAQ. This also covers the other systems it supports.

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Regards emulation of the Spectrum, all these various systems that we have been discussing over the last few months will emulate the majority of games without issues. It's only if you are into very specific aspects of the Spectrum, concerned about exact timing issues, or deep into advanced coding with undocumented instructions that you would come across any potential issues. The average user who plays classic games is unlikely to come across any problems. Note, I'm saying unlikely, not never.

Also if you look in the FPGA section there are discussions on pricing etc including this one:

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=4434&start=50

I thought you only used real hardware?
Sparky
Manic Miner

Post by Sparky »

I prefer real hardware, but I also need to stay with the times and FPGAs seem what's new in the retro world.
Thanks for the links.
Alex
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Sparky wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 12:11 pm I prefer real hardware, but I also need to stay with the times and FPGAs seem what's new in the retro world.
Thanks for the links.
Just a reminder that the Next and N-Go is FPGA too.

You have said nothing wrong, but stay with the times and retro in the same sentence made me chuckle :D

I did have a MiSTER but sold it recently. I'm happy using RetroPie, real hardware and desktop Emulators. It works out around 45% each RetroPie and Desktop emulation and 10% real hardware.
Sparky
Manic Miner

Post by Sparky »

It does sound like a contradiction :lol:
Alex
hitm4n
Manic Miner

Post by hitm4n »

I love my MiSTer. Supports a garguzzillion different machines, including ZX Next which is a big plus for me. It does Amiga, Speccy, C64, Atari (all the ataris), Vectrex, Arcade, Zx81, SNES, NES, Megadrive... the list is huge. Its so easy to use too, outputs to tv flawlessly, is teeny weeny and supports bluetooth or wifi controllers, keyboards and mice to cover all your input needs. I use an 8bitdo SN+ thingy pro controller in xinput mode (what a fantastic controller this is, the new revision is even better, i cannot recommend it highly enough). All in all its a great little gadget, you can build yourself easily and customise to what you need and your budget.

GET ONE !!
I don't have anything cool to put here, so i'll just be off now to see a priest with yeast stuck between his teeth and his friend called Keith who's a hairpiece thief...
Sparky
Manic Miner

Post by Sparky »

I've been looking for a price for this, but I can't find one! It seems that it depends on its configuration. Don't they sell any ready made ones?
It would be nice to know a final price.
Alex
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Sparky wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 6:06 pm I've been looking for a price for this, but I can't find one! It seems that it depends on its configuration. Don't they sell any ready made ones?
It would be nice to know a final price.
You can find suppliers who make them ready built, but you are paying for the service.

https://ultimatemister.com/

If you have a smallest amount of technical experience (such as putting a new graphics card in a PC) and are happy to read up stuff you can build it yourself. Its just a case of slotting components together. Its not like buying a ready built computer like a Next or laptop you add bits to suit your needs. Think of it as Lego or Meccano for 2021. I often moan about the quality of opensource projects documentation, but the MiSTer team have done a grand job.

The question you have to ask yourself is are you only into the Spectrum, it do you want to use the vast array of other machines too. RetroPie is a far cheaper solution but you won't get as many machines as you do with the MiSTer.

Check out the thread I gave you earlier on pricing up the MiSTer for a complete discussion on the subject.

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=4434
Sparky
Manic Miner

Post by Sparky »

I hadn't realized that they are this expensive.
Might as well as stick with the RetroPie or Lakka
Alex
lister_of_smeg
Microbot

Post by lister_of_smeg »

Sparky wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 7:39 pm I hadn't realized that they are this expensive.
Might as well as stick with the RetroPie or Lakka
Another option would be the SiDi. Much less expensive and comes ready built in an acrylic case. It's FPGA is less capable than the one in the MiSTer but it can handle 8-bit/16-bit computers and consoles just as well.

The main downside is that it doesn't support HDMI so unless you have a CRT or a modern display that has VGA or SCART input, you'll require a scaler like OSSC or RetroTINK, which bumps up the cost.
Last edited by lister_of_smeg on Sat May 22, 2021 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sparky
Manic Miner

Post by Sparky »

I have a couple of CRTs I use for retro hardware. Thanks for the link, I'll study it now.
Alex
lister_of_smeg
Microbot

Post by lister_of_smeg »

Sparky wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 8:40 pm I have a couple of CRTs I use for retro hardware. Thanks for the link, I'll study it now.
If you do decide to get one, one thing I'd recommend against buying is the DIN9 to SCART cable. In my experience, the image quality is far better using a MiSTer VGA to SCART cable (which also works just fine on the SiDi).
Sparky
Manic Miner

Post by Sparky »

I don't see it clarified, but does it work with all VGA monitors, or is it like the Atari STs which need specialized low Khz ones?
I also have a couple of VGA monitors for my retro PCs.
Alex
Nitrowing
Manic Miner

Post by Nitrowing »

If I hadn't already got (more than enough) hardware, I'd have gone for this...
https://thepihut.com/products/raspberry ... mputer-kit
I still want to buy it :cry:
lister_of_smeg
Microbot

Post by lister_of_smeg »

Sparky wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 8:54 pm I don't see it clarified, but does it work with all VGA monitors, or is it like the Atari STs which need specialized low Khz ones?
I also have a couple of VGA monitors for my retro PCs.
Yes, it can scandouble 15Khz RGB and output to VGA monitors - in which case you can simply use a standard VGA cable.