Little bugs in the database 5

This is the place to request ZXDB corrections (add missing data or fix incorrect information)

Moderators: druellan, pavero

PeterJ
Site Admin

Re: Little bugs in the database 5

Post by PeterJ »

Little Bugs 6 has been created. Please create new bug reports on the new thread. Thanks

viewtopic.php?t=9424
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

Some feedback about this one:
SNOOKERED [#ID: 4606]
There is missing the Alternate Title "Break Point" in the "COMPILATIONS FEATURING THIS TITLE" at the "Crash issue 75" release, should be added.

CRASH ISSUE 75: PRESENTS 11 [#ID: 13527]
There is wrong name in the "CONTENTS". The name "Snookered" should be changed to "Break Point [Snookered]".
Original name changed to Break Point, Snookered is the name of the Top Ten edition.
CHAMBERS OF DEATH [#ID: 880]
All in this game should be changed from 1984 to 1985 (Release dates, TAP year...). Initial release of this game was in the compilation "Automata 10 Pack Volume Two" from 1985. If you look at this compilation, all the games initially released here are marked as 1985, except of the game "Chambers of Death"..... should be changed.
AUTOMATA 10 PACK VOLUME TWO [#ID: 11445]
Wrong year in the "CONTENTS". The game "Chambers of Death" should be changed from 1984 to 1985.
Done!
EL JUEGO DE LA OCA [#ID: 2649]
There are two TAPs, should be only one, because both are absolute bit copy.
Noted, but can't be changed as part of the little bugs effort.
6. Welcome to Hollywood should be changed to Never Released
Changed to "never released - recovered"
CRAZY HOUSE [#ID: 1130]
Very strange entry. The game is marked as "Distribution denied", even if the game could never be officially released. The title music is stolen from the game "Fairlight - A Prelude", the "game over" music and other sounds are stolen from the game "Robin of the Wood". If this game would be marked as "Freeware" or "Public Domain"....OK, but why "Distribution denied" ??? It could be revisited.
I don't have more information about this. Could be that the original author requested the removal, in that case "Distribution denied" is plausible.
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

Hi @StooB . I'm looking at this report by Radek, that is quite interesting.
Seems that the compilation Dark Force listed here: https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/1 ... Dark_Force, is in fact not the same compilation as the "Dark Force" that was advertised and even reviewed in the magazines.

This compilation has only two titles: Midnight Resistance and Night Breed, but the compilation advertised contains Batman + Dark Side + Last Ninja 2 + R-Type. Seems to me that they are two different compilations.

Is this something you noticed looking at the magazines? Looking around, it seems that the two-titles Dark Force compilation got minimal advertisement, mostly on Amstrad magazines.

Thanks!
13. Dark Force, 1989, Ocean Software Ltd (UK) - compilation
Here is something wrong. You can see there "Remarks - Batman + Dark Side + Last Ninja 2 + R-Type" (compilation of these games), but in the "Contents" you can see "Midnight Resistance + Night Breed"
All advertisements and reviews speak about "Batman + Dark Side + Last Ninja 2 + R-Type".
Only cassette inlay shows "Midnight Resistance + Night Breed"
I didn't find any explanation.
For an example CPC-Power has 2 entries for this compilation:
1) 19xx - "Batman + Dark Side + Last Ninja 2 + R-Type"
2) 1990 - "Midnight Resistance + Night Breed"
If it is true or not, I don't know.

Minimally, it should be somehow explained in the "Remarks", How it is possible...
StooB
Dynamite Dan

Post by StooB »

druellan wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 9:12 pm
Seems that the compilation Dark Force listed here: https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/1 ... Dark_Force, is in fact not the same compilation as the "Dark Force" that was advertised and even reviewed in the magazines.
Haven't we already fixed this?

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/3 ... Dark_Force
https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/1 ... Dark_Force
StooB wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:30 pm Dark Force

This seems to be an amalgamation of two different titles.

The tzx and the cover are for a compilation called Dark Force containing Midnight Resistance and Night Breed.

The advert and all the reviews are for a compilation called Dark Force containing Batman The Caped Crusader, Last Ninja 2, Dark Side and R-Type. No scans of the box are available.

The magazine references imply that the 4 title compilation was released for Christmas 1989 which is before Midnight Resistance and Night Breed were even released. This version doesn't appear to exist - there's no sign of it on eBay or in any of the Facebook groups.

It looks like they cancelled this release. Last Ninja 2 was already on 100% Dynamite which was released at the same time, and R-Type and Batman turned up in early 1990 on The Biz. It seems Ocean never released Dark Side, either on a compilation or on even on Hit Squad.

So, there should be two entries:

1. Dark Force, date 1989, never released, Batman/Ninja/Dark Side/R Type + all magazine references + the compilation advert

2. Dark Force, date 1990 (probably - that's the copyright year on the manual and cassettes), Midnight Resistance/Night Breed + no magazine references + all "additional file downloads" apart from the compilation advert
✓ Reviewed
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

@StooB oh I see the issue now: the old mag references are still there and are incorrect, probably because we need to remove legacy data. I think I can fix that now. Thanks Stoob!
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

druellan wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 10:48 am @StooB oh I see the issue now: the old mag references are still there and are incorrect, probably because we need to remove legacy data. I think I can fix that now.
This must be fixed in ZXSR, not ZXDB:

viewtopic.php?p=120348#p120348

Technically you can distinguish reviews from ZXSR by looking at their review_IDs. Reviews not in ZXDB have review_ID higher than 300,000.