Manic Mulholland

People are still making stuff for the Sinclair related machines. Tell us about new games and other software that runs on the Spectrum, ZX80/ZX81, Pentagon and Next.
Andre Leao
Bugaboo

Manic Mulholland

Post by Andre Leao »

Daveysloan
Manic Miner

Re: Manic Mulholland

Post by Daveysloan »

Thank you very much for posting my humble game. :D

It's the first Speccy game I've ever made & I had so much fun making it.

The supportive comments from folk online have really encouraged me to start thinking about my next game already & all the stuff I could do to enhance my 1st one.

Cheers!
Andre Leao
Bugaboo

Post by Andre Leao »

You welcome :)
Mpk
Dynamite Dan

Post by Mpk »

Who ever suspected that the C5 had such good air control?

Made it to the Tetris level, which appears to be the Eugene's Lair equivalent. Will try again later.
Daveysloan
Manic Miner

Post by Daveysloan »

:lol: :lol: I think Mulholland souped up his C5 with springs & hover technology.

Good work getting to the Tetris/Pong/Warlords level. It is a bit of a swine.
Lee P
Microbot

Post by Lee P »

Just had a quick go and I certainly needed most of my nine lives to work out the best way through the Tetris level. (Died on the next level... grrrr, those bouncy balls)

Good stuff [mention]Daveysloan[/mention]
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

I'll admit to a couple of snapshots just to be sure, but Peter Mulholland got his history assignment in on time. I like quirky single screen platformers, so this is right up my street. I especially like your main player sprite—it's like Frank N Stein got his hands on a C5!

Ta for the cool game.

(Sending you a PM btw [mention]Daveysloan[/mention]
Mpk
Dynamite Dan

Post by Mpk »

Completed it just now, very nice. Looking forward to the inevitable cash-in sequel.
( Although, Starring should have 2 'r's, unless Pete was actually credited for his unflinching gaze. )

Is Pete Mulholland a real person, and do they know that there's a game about them if so? @Daveysloan
Daveysloan
Manic Miner

Post by Daveysloan »

Cheers guys, still blown away by folk playing this game that me & my boy had so much fun making.
Mpk wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:40 am Completed it just now, very nice. Looking forward to the inevitable cash-in sequel.
( Although, Starring should have 2 'r's, unless Pete was actually credited for his unflinching gaze. )

Is Pete Mulholland a real person, and do they know that there's a game about them if so? @Daveysloan
Gaaaaaaaah! I knew it was a mistake having pages of text without properly getting them peer-reviewed! *Curses* well I'll just have to amend that when I make Super Manic Mulholland Plus!

Just asked my 9 year old how to spell "starring", he got it right 1st time. I'll get him to do the text next time! (He drew the square faces & shields & came up with a few other ideas.)

Yeah Pete's a real person, a good mate from back in the day & a big Speccy fan. We're always swapping retro stuff when we meet up & I made this as a bit of a surprise for him. I did get his consent to use his image rights before sharing it with the world! :lol:

He did indeed sleep for days when he had a history assignment due & we woke him with a KFC bucket. Good times.
rdhcook
Drutt

Post by rdhcook »

Nice game, I'm enjoying playing it and glad there 9 lives. :D
RMartins
Manic Miner

Post by RMartins »

Nice game in the spirit of the 1980's: A dexterity and memory exercise.

The timing going out, after the Tetris level, without any clue on what the current time is, is not very player friendly. :o

That last level that allows you to wrap from side to side, is cool, but that skull in the middle is killer!
Daveysloan
Manic Miner

Post by Daveysloan »

It shouldn't have a timer at all, are you sure it wasn't the bouncing ball or something that got you?

Yeah that skull is absolutely brutal, at one point I had 4 skulls like that on that level then I remembered I'm not a sadist!! :lol:
rdhcook wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:55 pm Nice game, I'm enjoying playing it and glad there 9 lives. :D
Cheers, I originally had it set for 3 lives...but I couldn't get past the 3rd screen, so I bunged a few extra in!
Daveysloan
Manic Miner

Post by Daveysloan »

Hi all, we've gone back to this & given it a complete overhaul.
We listened to the feedback, added a tonne of extra levels & reworked all the original ones. We've also added more baddies, music, FX, a loading screen & a better scoring system.

MEGA Manic Mulholland is a sort of pseudo-sequel reboot/complete overhaul. You can download it for free at the following link:

ENJOY!

https://sloanysoft.itch.io/mega-manic-mulholland