Just a quick mock-up of Falcon ZX screen

Share graphical tips, notes and queries related to our favourite screen layout and its editors.
Art
Manic Miner

Just a quick mock-up of Falcon ZX screen

Post by Art »

Just a quick graphic mock-up of a possible Falcon ZX screen. Based on the original Falcon for PC CGA from 1987. I am not able to program vector graphics, nor the flight model, I just wanted to see how it would look on the Spectrum. Colour attributes aren't exact.
+3code

Re: Just a quick mock-up of Falcon ZX screen

Post by +3code »

That must be in zxart :)

https://zxart.ee
Art
Manic Miner

Post by Art »

+3code wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:09 pm That must be in zxart :)

https://zxart.ee
In that case, I should correct the colour positions and maybe some other bits according to that.
4thRock
Manic Miner

Post by 4thRock »

I have some doubts about the vertical dither pattern used for the ground plane. Doesn't look that good because it covers most of the play area.
Most titles did the sky and ground as solid colours, and used patterns for smaller objects like the runway.

But I like the mockup a lot! Great work! ;)
Sol_HSA
Microbot

Post by Sol_HSA »

From tech point of view, the HUD would be way too slow to render like that; in practice you'd probably want a square clipping area inside the display. Wouldn't look as good, sure, but would be way faster to render. (haven't checked any grid issues etc, just a quick mockup edit)

Art
Manic Miner

Post by Art »

4thRock wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:31 am I have some doubts about the vertical dither pattern used for the ground plane. Doesn't look that good because it covers most of the play area. Most titles did the sky and ground as solid colours, and used patterns for smaller objects like the runway.
Sol_HSA wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:11 am From tech point of view, the HUD would be way too slow to render like that; in practice you'd probably want a square clipping area inside the display.
Both quotes are true and I don't know how exactly it should be done right to be clear and fast. But I was partially inspired by Fighter Bomber, which does both things. But the Fighter Bomber ground pattern is better. For my screen test, I just took part of the outside scenery from the CGA version of Falcon which uses that vertical pattern.
PaddyC13
Drutt

Post by PaddyC13 »

Stunning. It would be great on the Next in one of its turbo modes.

Kind regards

Paddy
UK