Asteroids RX, main game almost done

Show us what you're working on, (preferably with screenshots).
highrise
Manic Miner

Asteroids RX, main game almost done

Post by highrise »

Hi guys

Here is a look at me playing a full game of Asteroids RX - as you will see, all the arcade gameplay features are there and it's not a bad clone if I do say so myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WM69V1yFVs
Sokurah
Manic Miner

Re: Asteroids RX, main game almost done

Post by Sokurah »

Good job, that looks absolutely amazing ... and very arcade accurate.
Imagine if we'd had this back in the 80s, instead of lazy conversions like Meteor Storm.
Website: Tardis Remakes / Mostly remakes of Arcade and ZX Spectrum games.
My games for the Spectrum: Dingo, The Speccies, The Speccies 2, Vallation & Sqij.
Twitter: Sokurah
Turtle_Quality
Manic Miner

Post by Turtle_Quality »

It's looking brilliant ! And my comments are getting more pedantic

In the video, around 1:45 , there are 2 asteroids that seem to be stuck together, which just looks un-natural. I guess this means they have exactly the same direction... are there a limited number of directions available or do you assign a random x velocity and y velocity within sensible limits ? Are the velocity and position more accurate than you see on screen (ie. use 16 bit position but display according to most significant byte).

If your code needs to work with limited directions, it could be worth just checking that when a bigger asteroid is shot that it doesn't spawn two with the same direction
Definition of loop : see loop
highrise
Manic Miner

Post by highrise »

yes, I am aware of this issue, just one of several small things to fix. However this does actually happen occasionally in the arcade version.
highrise
Manic Miner

Post by highrise »

when the asteroids are hit, they always split in different directions. If you watch back in this case you will see that one small asteroid just happens to be passing when another is spawned. As I said, it does happen sometimes in the original arcade game, but I would like to add more variation in order to avoid it.

You may notice that the 'safe spawn' system from the arcade is working quite well.
highrise
Manic Miner

Post by highrise »

your point might be valid if Terrapins, Roust, Bruce Lee RX, Pac-Hack, Perils of Willy and JetPac RX were unfinished. Lunar Rescue was written at a time when I was moving away from AGDx to assembly and now I don't want to go back. I'll get to it at some point.

You are correct that the arcade game, which has something like four times the screen size and resolution of the Spectrum, starts with four asteroids and ultimately goes up to about ten. So the number of asteroids you start with is less, but the percentage of the screen taken up by them is about the same.
highrise
Manic Miner

Post by highrise »

fair enough.

I considered starting with more asteroids, but I wanted it to build up like the arcade does. The smaller screen gets two crowded too quickly otherwise. However once you get about four levels in, it's very busy.
highrise
Manic Miner

Post by highrise »

incidentally I went back and checked the arcade and it's not quite as much bigger as I thought, probably about double. I still think the choice to start with only two based on how much room there is was the right one though.
highrise
Manic Miner

Post by highrise »

actually it many ways it's my patreon supporters game. They chose it as the patreon project. Their contributions allowed me the time to develop it.
cmal
Manic Miner

Post by cmal »

Excellent looking conversion! I'm looking forward to playing it when it gets released.