Interesting video on TZXduino and tape speed

For experts to discuss very technical stuff and newbies to ask why the Spectrum they bought off ebay doesn't work.
Sparky
Manic Miner

Interesting video on TZXduino and tape speed

Post by Sparky »

I just watched this video and thought it to be worth mentioning it here. I always wondered about cassette tape speeds and how they work.
This one explains a lot though it uses the CPC as an example it is still applicable to the Speccy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAIsOIwgJWA
Alex
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Re: Interesting video on TZXduino and tape speed

Post by Ast A. Moore »

The OTLA for the Spectrum loader supports speeds of up to 19 KBaud using the standard sound input port. As for using alternative ports, the ZX Spectrum Codemasters CD Game Pack used the joystick port (although the loading speed was fairly low).

Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
patters
Manic Miner

Post by patters »

Is there a way to get a Maxduino/Tzxduino to output OTLA encoded content?
lister_of_smeg
Microbot

Post by lister_of_smeg »

patters wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:47 pm Is there a way to get a Maxduino/Tzxduino to output OTLA encoded content?
Yes, although the TZXDuino/MaxDuino firmware can't do it...

A while ago I wrote my own firmware for the TZXDuino as a proof of concept which could output TZX files created by OTLA, which comprise of a single ID15 (Direct Recording) block. I was able to successfully load a few test files on an Issue 6 48K, tape-in modded +2 and a +3.

The firmware was VERY basic and didn't interact with the display or the buttons, instead simply decoding and outputting from a hardcoded file on the SD card. It also only implemented a small subset of the block types from the TZX specs.

I never took it any further, but I've donated the code to Noel in the hope it may assist him with his project.
patters
Manic Miner

Post by patters »

I just had a look at OTLA and I can't figure out how to build it for macOS. There's no Makefile and no configure script. It's hosted on the now defunct Google Code, and hasn't been touched since 2008 apparently.

EDIT - looks like it's for Windows only.
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

patters wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:32 pm looks like it's for Windows only.
I seem to remember running it under Wine.

EDIT: Oh, yeah. It runs just fine:

Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.