Woot 2021 - submissions wanted

Introduce yourself. Pimp your website, competition, event or other activity here, as long as it's Spectrum related.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Woot 2021 - submissions wanted

Post by R-Tape »

I've had one submission so far, and someone else has mentioned one, so it's that time again. If anyone wants to submit minigames (or games), game/code/music/graphic demos, utilities or anything, then they'd be most welcome. It can be anything, of any quality*

Also screens, ideas that I might roll with, quizzes, ideas for quiz questions, anything, would be great :)

Even more than previous years, I'm worried that I don't have enough lead in my pencil, or available time to do Woot 2021 as I did before. If that's the case then it might not be Woot, but something a bit different (e.g. SC ZXMAS bundle or something), either way it would be nice to have something daft and xmassy with some submissions from specchums.

Ideally I'd like to get things ready around the 12th December. Weekend of 17/18/19 Dec would probably work, but drop me a message beforehand.

Here's last year's issue for inspiration (and here's a direct link to the full bundle).

*just don't deprive Jim's CGC of entries. However, that's due to finish in November apparently...
Morkin
Bugaboo

Re: Woot 2021 - submissions wanted

Post by Morkin »

The last W00T! was overflowing with content. It was like receiving two whole platters of Ferrero Rocher, delivered by the ambassador himself, with a packed of Rollos balanced on the top.

It took me until some time into the new year before I'd looked at it all. What I'm trying to say is that it'd be great even if it had half that amount of content (or even less). We don't deserve spoiling.. :lol:
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
uglifruit
Manic Miner

Post by uglifruit »

I'll try to do something. Something that is just about not crap enough for Jim's collection.
CLEAR 23855
Sol_HSA
Microbot

Post by Sol_HSA »

A little bit more context might be nice =)
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Sol_HSA wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:32 am A little bit more context might be nice =)
Apologies. This is for the Woot 2021 christmas tape magazine. There is a magazine section that runs on a Spectrum, plus games, demos, quizzes, which also all run on a Spectrum. This December will be issue #5 (but we started at issue #0).

Here's last year's issue. If you scroll to 'main file downloads', you can see the magazine .TAP, and further down you can see 'contents' which shows links to all the other stuff it contains.

Even easier - if you scroll right to the bottom for 'additional file downloads', you can download the 'full magazine bundle', which is everything all in one zip. (Direct link here).

Search the archive for Woot, and you'll see all the other issues too. Have a browse and see if it tickles your fancy - it'd be brilliant if you could submit something :-)
Guesser
Manic Miner

Post by Guesser »

WHAT?! That can't be right. It was only just last year's five minutes ago! :o
Sol_HSA
Microbot

Post by Sol_HSA »

So basically anything goes?
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Sol_HSA wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:53 pm So basically anything goes?
Yep!

(And [mention]Guesser[/mention] , that includes horses or indeed any member of Equidae family.
Guesser
Manic Miner

Post by Guesser »

R-Tape wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:07 pm (And @Guesser , that includes horses or indeed any member of Equidae family.
:lol:

If you're lucky I might finish my actual demo that I said I'd do for last year's tape...

(it amuses me no end that that ridiculous shitpost I tossed off in an afternoon is in the archive btw :D)
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

HELP WANTED

I'm working on some Speccy Codeword puzzles to go with this year's Woot tape magazine. I've discovered that they're quite hard to set, so if any word or puzzle aficionados fancy contributing it'd be most welcome (maybe [mention]Rorthron[/mention], [mention]Evil Genius[/mention], [mention]GreenCard[/mention] [mention]Morkin[/mention], [mention]8BitAG[/mention], [mention]uglifruit[/mention], [mention]MatGubbins[/mention] [mention]TMD2003[/mention] or anyone?).

Rules (if you're not familiar):
There is a crossword style grid, each cell has a number that corresponds to a letter A-Z. You start with a blank grid except for one or two letters already provided. Even though you don't know all the letters, you can make a lot of assumptions about the word based on 1 - the letters you do have, 2 - what the numbers tell you about the structure of the word (e.g. 1,2,3,3,4,3 can only be CHEESE), 3 the length of the word. As you guess more letters, it gets easier to fill in the blanks.

The key is to a good puzzle is to be challenging and not rely on guesswork to solve it.

These will be Codewords with speccy related words. Shouldn't be ridiculously obscure. Don't have to be game titles - they can be characters, publishers, hardware etc).

Here's an early development snapshot (and here zipped) of it running on a speccy. Once you get them all correct the border goes green and it freezes.

Keys:
9 & 0 for select left & right
Press space to blank out the current selection, or a letter A-Z (natch!). You are not able to input the same letter twice, but it does let you input the wrong letter.

Let me know if you fancy having a go. NB it must fit on a 16 wide, 10 high grid.
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

I used to attempt these all the time when I was a nipper. One important thing, though: does every letter of the alphabet need to be used? In the original puzzles they always use every letter - but something tells me me might all struggle to do that; even though there should be plenty of Zs flying around Spectrum titles, it's the likes of Q, J and X that are more of a problem.

Then again, there's a rule that crosswords should be symmetrical - either with two reflection planes or order-2 rotational - but that's never bothered [mention]GreenCard[/mention] when setting the Friday Quiz crosswords (mainly because they'd be far too difficult to compose).
R-Tape wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:03 pm Here's an early development snapshot (and here zipped) of it running on a speccy. Once you get them all correct the border goes green and it freezes.
Tiny cyan numbers on a white background? Kill that with fire. They need to stand out far more than that.
Spectribution: Dr. Jim's Sinclair computing pages.
Features my own programs, modified type-ins, RZXs, character sets & UDGs, and QL type-ins... so far!
GreenCard
Dynamite Dan

Post by GreenCard »

R-Tape wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:03 pmLet me know if you fancy having a go. NB it must fit on a 16 wide, 10 high grid.
I'd be more than happy to help. When do you need this to be done by? :)
TMD2003 wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:47 pmThen again, there's a rule that crosswords should be symmetrical - either with two reflection planes or order-2 rotational - but that's never bothered [mention]GreenCard[/mention] when setting the Friday Quiz crosswords (mainly because they'd be far too difficult to compose).
I have thought about the whole symmetry thing when doing my crosswords, but like you say, it's difficult enough just finding a decent number of Speccy-related words that interlock (that I can also think of clues for), let alone making the whole thing symmetrical.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

TMD2003 wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:47 pm I used to attempt these all the time when I was a nipper. One important thing, though: does every letter of the alphabet need to be used? In the original puzzles they always use every letter - but something tells me me might all struggle to do that; even though there should be plenty of Zs flying around Spectrum titles, it's the likes of Q, J and X that are more of a problem.
Yep every letter of the alphabet needs to be used at least once. I think we'll be okay on the rarer letters. Z & X are fine, and Q is always a case of finding the 'U' even in non-speccy codewords. J and K have been harder than I thought so far.

Some repetition will be unavoidable, but maybe if you wanted to theme it, that might give it an interesting angle e.g. "Uncle Jim's ZX81 codeword", or "Greencard's Gangsters". Feel free to go to the fringes of what you'd consider a speccy connection, as long as it's not totally obscure.
Then again, there's a rule that crosswords should be symmetrical - either with two reflection planes or order-2 rotational - but that's never bothered @GreenCard when setting the Friday Quiz crosswords (mainly because they'd be far too difficult to compose).
I'm surprised how hard it is to make even a few linked words. It's bonus points and a pat on the back if you manage a good puzzle; if you can make it symmetrical as well then you can have Morkin's SAGA keyboard.
Tiny cyan numbers on a white background? Kill that with fire. They need to stand out far more than that.
Haha. Cheers. I didn't want it to dominate the box. It's easy to change - which colour would you go for?
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

GreenCard wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:57 pm I'd be more than happy to help. When do you need this to be done by? :)
Cheers! Can be as late as early December, but October or November would be better so that I know what I've got to work with.
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

I've got one that uses all the letters and everything joins up - it's a bit bare and needs filling out a bit, but it works.

Do you want it announced here in advance what the theme of each grid is, so that there's no chance of repetition? I could probably do two of the same theme, reasonably easily.
Features my own programs, modified type-ins, RZXs, character sets & UDGs, and QL type-ins... so far!
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

TMD2003 wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:38 pm I've got one that uses all the letters and everything joins up - it's a bit bare and needs filling out a bit, but it works.
A seitan sarnie is in the post!
Do you want it announced here in advance what the theme of each grid is, so that there's no chance of repetition? I could probably do two of the same theme, reasonably easily.
Can we keep them private - I'd rather keep our powder dry than risk repetition. Some repetition will be okay, and given that there'll only be a few of us doing these, they'll probably be distinct enough without worrying about it.
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

R-Tape wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:58 pm A seitan sarnie is in the post!
Unworthy of a corned beef sandwich, eh? Maybe I'll make it about Nintendo games instead. And no, none of the clues are going to be "Mario".
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

TMD2003 wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:38 pm Do you want it announced here in advance what the theme of each grid is, so that there's no chance of repetition?
Apologies Jim. I didn't read this property. Yes feel free to announce the theme.

Though don't feel it has to have a theme.
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

Right, well, in that case...
Spoiler
I have made two Codeword grids themed around 21st Century games. None of them are Russian-only .TRD/.SCL releases, and I'd expect most of them are reasonably well known, so it won't be too taxing.

I might also consider a grid made of items from Dizzy games, provided I can find a suitable J, K, Q, X and Z to go in there. Two of those would be accounted for, were it not for the two digits in the name of that thing Denzil uses to keep the door of his pad open...
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

I've made a third grid. There may be even more to come. Who else is going to send some in?

[img=https://render.fineartamerica.com/image ... -print.jpg]
uglifruit
Manic Miner

Post by uglifruit »

I'm doing one that is themed around
Spoiler
1982/1983 only.
CLEAR 23855
uglifruit
Manic Miner

Post by uglifruit »

Also, I've done one based around
Spoiler
BASIC
CLEAR 23855
GreenCard
Dynamite Dan

Post by GreenCard »

I'm going to see if I can put a few of these together this week. How is everyone making these? Is there a version of that example snapshot (which was great fun BTW) that we can make our grids with, or am I ok to just create one in a spreadsheet?
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

GreenCard wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:19 am I'm going to see if I can put a few of these together this week. How is everyone making these? Is there a version of that example snapshot (which was great fun BTW) that we can make our grids with, or am I ok to just create one in a spreadsheet?
A spreadsheet, or any format that works for you is fine. Ideally I would have created a designer to make it easier for submissions, but they take ages to code.
uglifruit
Manic Miner

Post by uglifruit »

Here's the excel spreadsheet I used to help me: https://1drv.ms/x/s!AmvYCHV8PMQkhF2FsDrcR0KhkOfC?e=2Hx29e

There's an example one in there and blank template (on different sheets), and should be reasonably easy to understand.

It doesn't do all the work, but at least keeps tally of having used all the letters, and makes the db statements for you at the end.
CLEAR 23855