Crazy Climber

Propose new game/software design concepts or new game/software ideas. They can be as whimsical as you like, just be careful you don't ask someone to make it for you...
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Re: Crazy Climber

Post by Joefish »

The Speccy one is an extraordinarily accomplished loading screen for a pretty atrocious game!

It needs to be done in Multicolour though if you ask me, for a smoother vertical scroll. Using a tabular colour buffer with a memory pointer so the buffer can be rolled with minimal extra effort, you should still be able to get around 24 characters wide of 8x2 colour. And as you say, use all PAPER to colour the building so the sprites don't clash.

Didn't this game have a weird control system though, like a separate joystick to operate each hand of the climber?
I never played it, so I don't understand how that would work unless there were some sort of hold-on/let-go or left/right hand buttons.
Bubu
Manic Miner

Post by Bubu »

If something works, don't touch it !!!! at all !!!
Bubu
Manic Miner

Post by Bubu »

hahHhhhhaaaaaaaha, totally!!!

When I saw your mockup I could'nt believe :lol: :lol: :lol:

I started to adapt Crazy Climber 2 or 3 years ago, as you can see in that link, even I did the titles screen, and records table, even some musics, but I left it (not 4ever, but paused) cause it was impossible to guess the algorythm to open and close windows. You know my insane obsession to clone as much as possible arcades to spectrum, don't you? :lol:
Bubu
Manic Miner

Post by Bubu »

Ah, and a very sad point, is that you can't avoid clash attribute while building srolls down... :geek: :geek: :geek:
Bubu
Manic Miner

Post by Bubu »

Mmmm.... I think that would spoil a good conversion... Perhaps the clash attribute with the 1-pixel scrolling is acceptable, regarding that buliding only scrolls in transition between one move and the next one. I would do the test.
Bubu
Manic Miner

Post by Bubu »

Ooops, I tried to upload here the TAP file of cclimber, I mean the try I did 3 years ago, but I didn't realized we can upload only images

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

I was thinking you could do a half-character scroll by prepping the screen with half-filled characters and manipulating the attributes, but the MSX version does seem to get away with whole-character movement. The wall/windows on alternate rows in the Rev's mockup might look just like flicking between two images without any overall sense of direction. (Note the Vic-20 version has double-height windows). But there's just enough other large-scale detail on the screen of that MSX version at any time to re-enforce the sense of the building scrolling down, so OK, it could work.

You could actually cover the screen in a hint of a brick pattern, or maybe a scattering of brick texture characters, which do get obscured by any sprite passing in front of them, but that at least suggests a bit more detail on the building. In fact, the whole screen could be painted with a brick texture, hidden by matching INK+PAPER in most character cells, and just reveal it in clumps on the brickwork by setting the INK of few characters to BLACK. Again, big clumps of texture would help improve the sense of movement from a jerky character scroll.
Bubu
Manic Miner

Post by Bubu »

Guys, just for making a building scroll testing, I need a fast and short :lol: routine which takes in hl a VideoRAM address, and returns (in hl is possible) the VideRAM just 8 pixels down.

Any idea?
Bubu
Manic Miner

Post by Bubu »

Guys, just for making a building scroll testing, I need a fast and short :lol: routine which takes in hl a VideoRAM address, and returns (in hl is possible) the VideRAM just 8 pixels down.

Any idea?

EDIT:

Code: Select all

calc_next_row:
		ld a, l
		add a, %00100000
		ld l, a
		ret nc
		ld a, h
		add a, %00001000
		ld h, a
		ret
catmeows
Manic Miner

Post by catmeows »

Perhaps something like this ?

Code: Select all

ld a, l
add a,32
ld l, a
ret nc
ld a, h 
add a,8
ld h, a
ret
Proud owner of Didaktik M
Bubu
Manic Miner

Post by Bubu »

Thank you, [mention]catmeows[/mention]!! Just right the same as mine, It helps me to confirm that it is correct :D

Now I have a Crazy Climber sample on how to scroll the building, it's a TAP file for spectrum. Is it possible to upload into this forum as anybody who wants to try it can download it? If not, I can share from Dropbox
Bubu
Manic Miner

Post by Bubu »

Here you are:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fnrz3ensua16y ... g.tap?dl=0

It only paints some attribute colors, and when you press a key it does a scroll down. But still no sprites...
merman
Microbot

Post by merman »

Turn the lights out, make it night time when you scroll down and only use two colours?