I’ve made some music

On the creation of AY or Beeper music, including the packages used to do so.
Totta
Drutt

I’ve made some music

Post by Totta »

Hi all. I’m fairly new at making music for the AY-chip but I thought I would share what I’ve made so far.

I don’t have that much experience with the Spectrum unfortunately. I was an MSX-guy myself (sorry folks) but since we shared the same sound chip I hope I can be excused for this?

As I said. These are my very first attempt at creating music for the AY (never even made chip music for other systems either) so I’m still learning.

Anyway. My latest tune is called Rezzonance. The one before that is called Poppy and my very first attempt is called Groovy.

I think I’m evolving

Rezzonance
https://youtu.be/ol63MdcFhtc

Poppy
https://youtu.be/wGpKBPGuYC4

Groovy
https://youtu.be/4d5S5dqBq4U
R-Tape
Site Admin

Re: I’ve made some music

Post by R-Tape »

Totta wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:56 am but since we shared the same sound chip I hope I can be excused for this?
You are certainly excused! Thanks for sharing.

These are 3 good tracks that could very easily fit on games or demos IMO.

I'm not a musician, but I can see how they have developed. Rezzonance is the most elaborate, but I think I like Poppy the most for its stuttering and then galloping cadence.

Good work and keep going.
RMartins
Manic Miner

Post by RMartins »

I would suggest that you ran those on a real machine, so that you get the real hardware generated sound, and not that very clean thing you are getting on a PC Music editor.

Would love to listen to it being played on the real thing.
dfzx
Manic Miner

Post by dfzx »

Excellent stuff. I'm in awe of people who can write music.

Will you be making your work available for others to add into their games or demos?
Derek Fountain, author of the ZX Spectrum C Programmer's Getting Started Guide and various open source games, hardware and other projects, including an IF1 and ZX Microdrive emulator.
Totta
Drutt

Post by Totta »

RMartins wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:57 pm I would suggest that you ran those on a real machine.
Me too but I don't own either a Spectrum 128 or an MSX.
Maybe someone here, capable of running the Arkos Tracker replayer on their hardware is interested in trying a song out?
Totta
Drutt

Post by Totta »

dfzx wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:02 pm Will you be making your work available for others to add into their games or demos?
Sure
rastersoft
Microbot

Post by rastersoft »

If someday I do "Return to M.O.N.J.A.S.", the Groovy theme seems to fit.
RMartins
Manic Miner

Post by RMartins »

Totta wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:18 pm
RMartins wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:57 pm I would suggest that you ran those on a real machine.
Me too but I don't own either a Spectrum 128 or an MSX.
Maybe someone here, capable of running the Arkos Tracker replayer on their hardware is interested in trying a song out?
Check your messages.
XoRRoX
Manic Miner

Post by XoRRoX »

Hey, Totta. I already saw you over in the msx.org forum and am happy to also see you posting your excellent music here :)

For a while now, I've been interested in playing tunes from other home computers than the Spectrum that have the same/similar PSG such as the Amstrad CPC, MSX, Atari ST (YM2149) and even some consoles, with varying results. This can be done by converting to the MYM format which can then be played by anyone with a divMMC SD-Card device by using Bob Fossil's BROWSE.

Are you writing yours in 50 or 60Hz? If 60, it needs to be adjusted for it to play on the Speccy at the correct speeds as it's 50Hz.

While tunes created in Arkos could be exported to be compiled for the Spectrum, they can also be exported to the YM format from Arkos and then to the MYM format (including chip-frequency conversion).

If you like, I can convert them for you.
zxbruno
Manic Miner

Post by zxbruno »

The first word that came to my mind was "refreshing". Thank you, well done!
Lee Bee
Dynamite Dan

Post by Lee Bee »

Good stuff! :-)
kokkiklhs
Dizzy

Post by kokkiklhs »

Excellent music, especially the first track was superb! Thanks, keep on composing!
BTW why did you say "I was" an MSX guy, I hope you still are... MSX are a great range of machines, as are the Speccies, of course!
8-)