Lava (2021 version)

People are still making stuff for the Sinclair related machines. Tell us about new games and other software that runs on the Spectrum, ZX80/ZX81, Pentagon and Next.
Andre Leao
Bugaboo

Lava (2021 version)

Post by Andre Leao »

+3code

Re: Lava (2021 version)

Post by +3code »

Nice. I remember the original (awesome but ultra-slow). Downloading...
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

I remember it too. Actually I made a rzx recording of it (to be checked at Rzx Archive). I played it with emulator speeded up to 800% or so because only this way it was playable.

I remember we were also really surprised about the excellent quality of graphics and wondered who Natasha Zotova is and why some guy hides under a female nick ;) Eventually it turned out she's very real :)

I can't check the new version now but I guess you can play it normally now, without any tricks.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

It's good that the original BASIC version exists as a proof of concept, but this asm version is great to see. I'm halfway through and will probably complete this version. It plays pretty well, but it's a shame that it resembles a compiled BASIC game, even though it's not. Smoother movement of the airborne sprite & enemies would make it it more fair and playable.

I wondered why they dropped the orginal loading screen, and I see they went some way to answering this on the game page:
A: One of the reasons is the loading time. Loading screen is comparable in size to the game itself. But of course, this is not the main reason... Try to guess =)

I'm going to guess they decided the first one was too racy...maybe they could have gone for riding sidesaddle!
Audionautas
Manic Miner

Post by Audionautas »

R-Tape wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 3:27 pm I'm going to guess they decided the first one was too racy...maybe they could have gone for riding sidesaddle!
Hi [mention]R-Tape[/mention]

Natasha Zotova commented on Facebook: "we decided to use that loading screen for a larger release". So we can guess that the original loading screen will be reused sooner or later for an upcoming game.
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Dang, it’s hard. (Playing it on fast.)
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Ast A. Moore wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:36 pm Dang, it’s hard. (Playing it on fast.)
Completed on 'Normal'. Just checked out 'Crazy'. Nope!
Neil Parsons
Manic Miner

Post by Neil Parsons »

Awesome game that only fits in almost 8K of memory. I have played some screens at normal speed just for practise. I haven't finished it yet and test the more difficult ones, but I keep on trying.