The game you loved that everyone else hated?

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
71owl
Dizzy

The game you loved that everyone else hated?

Post by 71owl »

Just a bit of fun here.

Was there a game you played to death back in the day? Loved it, mapped it, obsessed about it and maybe even completed... but it was rubbish?

I remember playing A Day In The Life over and over. I knew there were better games to play but just couldn't stay away from the quirky little Uncle Clive icon, trying to get him to make pixel perfect moves around the screen to get to the next one. It was panned by the critics and rightly so. Basic graphics and sound, jerky controls... and yet I couldn't get enough.

Did we all have a game like this, that captured our hearts but its difficult to understand why?

Another one was the graphic adventure Eureka. I think it was one of the few adventures out there that combined text, graphics, animation and sound/music. I found it gave all 5 adventures so much atmosphere. Another game the critics hated and was much criticised.

I loved a crappy little tennis game by Atlantis called Superbrat. Match Point was far superior, but I played Superbrat more. Why? Teenage rebellion?

Can anyone relate to this?
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Re: The game you loved that everyone else hated?

Post by PeteProdge »

There's Naanas by Mikro-Gen, a 16K game that can be best described as an inverted Space Invaders.

While everyone else bangs on about Rock Star Ate My Hamster, I'm very much a fan of the earliest pop management game on the Speccy, It's Only Rock N Roll by K-Tel. Written entirely in BASIC.
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
Mpk
Dynamite Dan

Post by Mpk »

71owl wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:46 pm Eureka.
Eureka has that terrible action maze game before you can play the adventure though, doesn't it? I remember getting well into the Roman part of the adventure, but not being able to play because I couldn't get past the action bit.
It reviewed okay, but was maybe a victim of its own hype due to the large cash prize.
PeteProdge wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:04 pm Its_Only_Rock_n_Roll by K-Tel. Written entirely in BASIC.
Wait until you see my machine code version! ( And I do mean 'wait'. ) The Biz was better, though.

Mission Omega was one that I always liked, that was guaranteed to make anyone else in the vicinity wander off, rolling their eyes. Possibly because I spend most of the time designing my robots.

Also Brewery, but I can't justify that at all.
71owl
Dizzy

Post by 71owl »

Firebird budget game The Wild Bunch was another favourite. Another game written in basic, but I spent SO MANY HOURS on it trying to capture the killer and bring him to justice! I only ever finished the game many years later on an emulator when I could save the game!
RWAC
Manic Miner

Post by RWAC »

The Wild Bunch is one of my favourite games too.

Lords of Chaos is one that's just as good as Laser Squad but doesn't seem to get much love.

Daveysloan
Manic Miner

Post by Daveysloan »

Oh absolutely loads, I have dreadful taste.

Mrs Mopp springs to mind, I spent hours on that when I was a kid trying to beat my sister's high score.

Nitrowing
Manic Miner

Post by Nitrowing »

71owl wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:19 pm Firebird budget game The Wild Bunch was another favourite. Another game written in basic, but I spent SO MANY HOURS on it trying to capture the killer and bring him to justice! I only ever finished the game many years later on an emulator when I could save the game!
I loved Wild Bunch :cry:
71owl
Dizzy

Post by 71owl »

Doesn't this sort of highlight the magic of the Spectrum? How it captured the imagination of so many young and old minds. Also, how the programmers that created the games were geniuses.

It didn't need fancy detailed graphics. Just plain old playability and that x-factor that kept you coming back for more. Sometimes you just couldn't quite put your finger on why you loved a game so much. You just did!
AndyC
Dynamite Dan

Post by AndyC »

Nitrowing wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:58 pm
71owl wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:19 pm Firebird budget game The Wild Bunch was another favourite. Another game written in basic, but I spent SO MANY HOURS on it trying to capture the killer and bring him to justice! I only ever finished the game many years later on an emulator when I could save the game!
I loved Wild Bunch :cry:
Agreed, it was a cracking game.
AndyC
Dynamite Dan

Post by AndyC »

I remember putting in countless hours into Spooked. A weird platformer/hangman combo that, in hindsight, was probably a bit crap. There was something appealing about chasing after bugs to create spells that somehow captivated me at the time though.

Don't think I ever actually beat it though.
RWAC
Manic Miner

Post by RWAC »

Rev_Stuart_Campbell wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:18 pm Not sure if anyone else hated this, but I have an indefensible soft spot for it.

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/1 ... um/Venture
I've just downloaded and played it and yes I hate it. :mrgreen:
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

Don't know it's exactly hated, but I don't understand why everyone isn't just playing Chronos all day.
(Though the 48K version. I can see {though mainly hear} why no-one would want to try the 128K version twice).
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

Games I played quite a bit that didn't seem to be particularly well-liked:

Kung Fu Master - although YS seemed to like it (8/10)

Bump Set Spike - although SU seemed to like it (4/5)
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
71owl
Dizzy

Post by 71owl »

I think CLIFFHANGER and ZORRO also get honourable mentions from my playing days. Reviews were mixed for both of these. I remember Cliffhanger being so much fun, so funny.
RWAC
Manic Miner

Post by RWAC »

Didn't Cliffhanger have a bug on the 13th screen making it impossible to complete? Luckily I could never get that far :mrgreen:
catmeows
Manic Miner

Post by catmeows »

I like Cliffhanger too, big backdrops and "physics simulation" give it charm unseen in typical speccy game.
Also I don't understand why nobody praise SimCity and Lemmings. Downscaling these titles to speccy was quite achievment and they are probably better than one could hope for.
Proud owner of Didaktik M
DouglasReynholm
Manic Miner

Post by DouglasReynholm »

Erm.....

...... I actually quite enjoyed Kosmic Kanga.
stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Post by stupidget »

DouglasReynholm wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:00 pm Erm.....

...... I actually quite enjoyed Kosmic Kanga.
You sir, are a man who needs help. I'd say those God Damn Electric Sex Pants of yours have caused some sort of brain damage.
Lee Bee
Dynamite Dan

Post by Lee Bee »

Dunno about "hated", but one of my most-played games as a teenager was the seemingly rubbish Run Baby Run. I never took my Speccy anywhere without it!

Would love to know if others had an opinion on this game?
p13z
Manic Miner

Post by p13z »

Quite a few. "Run Baby Run" was one I only discovered a few years back - and is outright one of my favourite games.
Back in the day:
Double Dragon and Top Gun - had a lot of fun as two player games.
Kung Fu Master.
And a game that gets universally panned as being unplayably hard - Oriental Hero. Can't have been that hard, as I completed it aged 8. It was mostly a memory / reaction test with OK graphics, but a lot of game back then just were.
ianace
Manic Miner

Post by ianace »

Millionaire really bad game, but it was addictive, could you move up to next level, or buy some dodgy tapes from honest Harry! Terrible but addictive game!
llewelyn
Manic Miner

Post by llewelyn »

The two games I played the most were TIR NA NOG and MARBLE MADNESS, I cannot vouch for their unpopularity though!
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

Another vote for Zorro (if we supossed most people hate it)

Also Sorcery.
AndyC
Dynamite Dan

Post by AndyC »

p13z wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:47 pm Quite a few. "Run Baby Run" was one I only discovered a few years back - and is outright one of my favourite games.
Back in the day:
Double Dragon and Top Gun - had a lot of fun as two player games.
Kung Fu Master.
And a game that gets universally panned as being unplayably hard - Oriental Hero. Can't have been that hard, as I completed it aged 8. It was mostly a memory / reaction test with OK graphics, but a lot of game back then just were.
Run baby run is great, very simple but very addictive and surprisingly strategic. A mate of mine had it and for a while it was our go to game when we played on his Speccy, alas he got bored of it though so I didn't get to play it again until emulation came along.

Double Dragon was another favourite, that me and my sister played for hours. To this day I still don't get the hate some people have for it, the graphical style is a bit off from the arcade but it's still a pretty fun beat em up.

Top gun, however, is crap. :lol:
stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Post by stupidget »

I used to play Shia Ka of Ashia back in the day even though it was reviewed pretty badly and most people though it was cr@p.

Another one my mate and I used to play was Transformers even thought it scored pretty low. I think it was simply down to the fact that we could control Transformers on our Speccy.