Site Updates

Broken link? Feature request? Anything related to the Spectrum Computing website here.
4thRock
Microbot

Re: Site Updates

Post by 4thRock » Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:31 am

Don't think we should judge merit/effort, it's highly subjective.
A translation might take more effort than new graphics and bring the game to a large audience (ex: russian » english).
On this case it would be almost like an unofficial release....

So I'd give each mod its entry regardless of what was changed or quality.
After all we have entries for unreleased games (ex: Toki), some with almost no information that show up on searches, and nobody complains.
0 x

Ralf
Dynamite Dan

Post by Ralf » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:25 am

So I'd give each mod its entry regardless of what was changed or quality.
In such case there are thousands of Italian cracks waiting for us. And lots of Russian translations as well.

I wouldn't like to be selfish but would really suggest starting from Bruce Lee RX and my mods ;) I'm regularly I'm asked about
them by people who would like to play them by cannot as old links aren't working.
0 x

PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ » Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:06 pm

I think my issue is, imagine I am newbie trying to bring back nice memories of my childhood and I search for Manic Miner using the main search. The original release is number 10 in the results. I think I may be put off. We could always adjust the results sorting again I suppose.
2 x

4thRock
Microbot

Post by 4thRock » Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:44 pm

Point taken. The original release should always come up first.
Also thinking a bit also about remakes and new versions like the latest Mario or Bruce Lee.

Sorting be release date solves these problems I think, perhaps by filtering "modern" (post 1992?) entries by default.
Something like "show classic era only" / "show modern era only" / "show all eras" :D
1 x

Einar Saukas
Manic Miner

Post by Einar Saukas » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:12 pm

Listing original titles before mods is probably a good idea.

For everything else, most users would probably be complaining that alphabetical sorting is broken.
4 x

Einar Saukas
Manic Miner

Post by Einar Saukas » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:34 pm

Try now :)
2 x

Juan F. Ramirez
Rick Dangerous

Post by Juan F. Ramirez » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:39 pm

Einar Saukas wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:34 pm
Tried and it works!!!

An old dream of mine comes true! :)
0 x

PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ » Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:56 pm

Einar Saukas wrote:
Nicely done Sir.
0 x

R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:18 pm

Einar Saukas wrote:
Thumbs up to the elegant solution.

Buuut I have to say, that MODs are not being respected here guys, especially JSW MODs. Ralf says every JSW MOD is "crappy", which is just not fair or true. And while I agree that the original title should be the most prominent in such a search (really glad it's sorted, as finding the original MM has been annoying in the past), let's also consider the MMJSW community member—of which there are many—that have been dedicated to the speccy scene for years and years! And *still* contribute to ZXDB and SC!
Rorthron wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:20 pm
Unless the graphics mod is by Harry S Price. ;)

There seems to be no rhyme or reason to the classifications in ZXDB (or WoS.). I can see there will always be an element of judgement and subjectivity, but there should be some guidelines to avoid the worst of the current inconsistencies.
It's like the species concept—not perfect but serviceable. I'll ask again where the major failings are, or what would you'd like to see done differently. Specifically. Maybe it can be addressed, but please bear in mind that ruthless consistency might not be the best solution for the archive, or its users.

Regarding Bruce LeeRX and Ralf's MODs. I'll make IDs for these in the next update, though not every one can have a game file with it. Same for Bruce Lee.
1 x

PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ » Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:13 pm

Evening,

Latest update from the 1 December.

Many thanks everyone!

New entries:
Black and White
Paracaidista Kerl!
Mini Battle Tank
Dirty Dozer
Bruce Lee RX
Super Enquiry Simulator Thanks to insane genius @DaveW
New entries—Spectrum Next games! At the moment, these are just information. No screenshots yet, as we're deciding format, and no files as we need to look into permissions. Massive thanks to @PROSM for collating them!
Bubblegum Bros.
DeltaStar - Earth Defense
Dungeonette
Dweebs Drop
Evil Clown's Circus Games - Hanoi
Farmer Sam's Dog Day
Foreign Cabinet
Montana Mike
Nextoid!
Night Knight
Q*Bee
uMIA thanks @Ivanzx
The Skeleton
Files/other:
SCL and TRD for Antartida. Thanks Nat!
Various disk files for Cobra’s Arc, and some file improvements, and game map. Thanks Nat!
TZX and label for Programa Computado. This is the Spectrum program on the vinyl record by the band "La Mode". Thanks @Ivanzx for bringing it to our attention, and thanks to Iceknight for making it public.
TZX for Battle on Hoth. Thanks Peejay!
2 x