Quiz: ZX Spectrum game or a song by The Fall?

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Quiz: ZX Spectrum game or a song by The Fall?

Post by PeteProdge »

This is a very niche thing I've created, but should appeal to ZX Spectrum gamers AND fans of The Fall. Even if you don't like The Fall, I still recommend it.
https://forms.gle/SRjjef7SVHwcSvyy5

You don't need to leave your details, it's a simple 20-question quiz that'll take a couple of minutes to complete.
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Re: Quiz: ZX Spectrum game or a song by The Fall?

Post by PeteProdge »

Rev_Stuart_Campbell wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 1:44 pm A frankly disappointing 15/20.
You're the highest so far.

Out of the 16 responses I've had, the average is 13 points.
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

Oh, now we have an almost perfect score here...

https://twitter.com/23Daves/status/1457343036665569280
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

14/20... not bad taking into acount I've never heard of The Fall...
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Heh cool idea. A shocking 14/20. Dr No was one I got right!
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

Rob Manuel's retweeted this, and now the responses are really flooding in. This has gone mental!
Nick
Manic Miner

Post by Nick »

Well, my knowledge of The Fall can be summed up in three sentences: I know the title of one of their songs is featured in the charts section of The Biz. I can remember a song called Free Range scraped into the top 40. Mark E. Smith recorded a song with the Inspiral Carpets.

But...I scored a very respectable 15/20.
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

Nick wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 3:44 pm Well, my knowledge of The Fall can be summed up in three sentences: I know the title of one of their songs is featured in the charts section of The Biz. I can remember a song called Free Range scraped into the top 40.
Not heard of that one, I always thought Hit The North was their biggest hit (certainly deserved to be), and yet it only got to #57. Having looked at their official chart placings in the UK top 100, I'm stunned to see their two highest songs are both covers - There's A Ghost In My House (R Dean Taylor) at #30 and Victoria (The Kinks) at #35. Free Range got to literally #40 and no higher! It's pretty strange for such an influential band that's heavily cited, but I suppose it's down to the record-buying behaviour of their fanbase, who probably prefer albums. (When it comes to electronic dance music, singles tended to do well, as ravers don't tend to buy albums.)
Nick wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 3:44 pmMark E. Smith recorded a song with the Inspiral Carpets.
That's how I first came across Mark E Smith.
Nick wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 3:44 pmBut...I scored a very respectable 15/20.
That's pretty damned good!

I've had 76 response so far. Average score is now 11.65. Four people have scored 19 points, but nobody has got a perfect 20!
Evil Genius
Manic Miner

Post by Evil Genius »

14/20, and I know nothing about The Fall except the hapless boy Lard used to play bass for them
Daren
Manic Miner

Post by Daren »

Oh dear, 11.
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

For a bit of light entertainment, here is the definitive link between the ZX Spectrum and The Fall.

It's The Biz programmer Chris Sievey as his alter-ego Frank Sidebottom, performing a cover of The Fall's Hit The North.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0elCZT8yN0

Mark E Smith must have loved it, because...

https://twitter.com/neil_taylor_/status ... 34?lang=en
(Context: Posted on the day the news of Mark E Smith's passing was announced.)

Incidentally, I have to point out I'm not like a hardcore fan of The Fall. I think they're alright. I just like their very crazy song titles and the bizarre lyrics, it's like no other band.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

I don't know much about The Fall, but I've got to know them a tiny bit via my elder brothers and their peers. (Some loved them, others said they sound like a bag of clanking spanners). I never realised they were known for the weird song titles. Just browsing them now is brilliant: "Mexican Wax Solvent" surely belongs to Captain Beefheart!

Coming from the other angle, these Fall songs not mentioned in the quiz are great starting points for new Speccy software!

No Xmas for John Quays
Spectre Vs Rector
Hex Enduction Hour
Bug Day
Disney's Dream Debased
The Aphid
Bonkers in Phoenix
Touch Sensitive
Crop Dust
Latch Key Kid
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

R-Tape wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:56 pm I don't know much about The Fall, but I've got to know them a tiny bit via my elder brothers and their peers. (Some loved them, others said they sound like a bag of clanking spanners).
Some love them because they sound like a bag of clanking spanners!
R-Tape wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:56 pmI never realised they were known for the weird song titles. Just browsing them now is brilliant: "Mexican Wax Solvent" surely belongs to Captain Beefheart!
Oh, absolutely. There's a kind of connection there. I think the closest we have to The Fall's penchant for odd song titles right now would be Sleaford Mods.
R-Tape wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:56 pmComing from the other angle, these Fall songs not mentioned in the quiz are great starting points for new Speccy software!

No Xmas for John Quays
Spectre Vs Rector
Hex Enduction Hour
Bug Day
Disney's Dream Debased
The Aphid
Bonkers in Phoenix
Touch Sensitive
Crop Dust
Latch Key Kid
Oh yes, I could have made the quiz five times as long, there's so much out there (particularly in homebrew games of the past decade) that blur the lines.

I do think that for any questions you get wrong, where you reckoned a Fall song is a Spectrum game, that you should be punished by being forced to make a Spectrum game using that song title.

And vice versa of course, you have to sing in the style of Mark E Smith for any Spectrum game that you reckoned was a Fall song.

But unfortunately Google Forms doesn't let me do that.
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

I managed an absolutely marvellous 7/20, and only recognised two Spectrum games.

If it'd been between Spectrum games and a band who only write in a not-even-that-obscure foreign language...
Spectribution: Dr. Jim's Sinclair computing pages.
Features my own programs, modified type-ins, RZXs, character sets & UDGs, and QL type-ins... so far!
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

PeteProdge wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:08 pm Oh, absolutely. There's a kind of connection there. I think the closest we have to The Fall's penchant for odd song titles right now would be Sleaford Mods.
Quite like that.
And vice versa of course, you have to sing in the style of Mark E Smith for any Spectrum game that you reckoned was a Fall song.
This has form. The 2013 CGC entry, "Monkey Doo's Fruit Salad" sounds could easily be a Fall song title, and includes a song by the author (in additonal file downloads).
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

12/20 though in my defence most were guesses :lol: (and I couldn't name a single Fall song)...
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
blucey
Manic Miner

Post by blucey »

I got 11 which is pretty low given that I quite like The Fall.
equinox
Dynamite Dan

Post by equinox »

14/20. Er, a lot of CSSCGC entries in there, aren't there...? And White Lightning is a utility, not a game.
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

equinox wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:16 am 14/20. Er, a lot of CSSCGC entries in there, aren't there...? And White Lightning is a utility, not a game.
All the Spectrum titles listed in the quiz are games, I've not used a utility.
Andre Leao
Bugaboo

Post by Andre Leao »

14/20

Always prefered Adult Net, anyway... :)
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

Andre Leao wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:59 am 14/20

Always prefered Adult Net, anyway... :)
Look out for my next quiz, based on their songs and fictional Breakout clones. It will be titled "Brix Smith or Bricks myth"?

I'll get me coat.
equinox
Dynamite Dan

Post by equinox »

P.S. What Spectrum game titles are also band names? "Frankie Goes to Hollywood" and "Crystal Castles" are the ones that immediately come to mind.
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

equinox wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:30 pm P.S. What Spectrum game titles are also band names? "Frankie Goes to Hollywood" and "Crystal Castles" are the ones that immediately come to mind.
Well...
RWAC
Manic Miner

Post by RWAC »

equinox wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:30 pm P.S. What Spectrum game titles are also band names? "Frankie Goes to Hollywood" and "Crystal Castles" are the ones that immediately come to mind.
Evil Genius
Manic Miner

Post by Evil Genius »

Close enough?