RIP Daren Pearcy

Y'know, other stuff, Sinclair related.
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

RIP Daren Pearcy

Post by PeteProdge »

I've just seen this tweet about [mention]Daren[/mention], of the RZX Archive...

https://twitter.com/MerseyMal/status/14 ... 6897784837
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
Vampyre
Manic Miner

Re: RIP Daren Pearcy

Post by Vampyre »

I've just heard too. I can't believe it...

RIP Daren. I always enjoyed our interactions on here, WoS and Facebook. Some of his posts on FB always cheered my day up.
ZX Spectrum Reviews REST API: http://zxspectrumreviews.co.uk/
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

What happened??? I' can't believe what I read.
stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Post by stupidget »

That's such sad news. I loved Daren's 'Read a book and pass it on' thread on here. I ended up reading a very bizarre 60s Sci-Fi book due to that thread.

RIP [mention]specchum[/mention]
clebin
Manic Miner

Post by clebin »

Oh no, what terrible news. His last posts were just a few days ago. Much love to his family and all the Specchums here who knew him. X
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

Shocked after reading this. It's been a lot of years talking with him first in WoS, here in SC, Twitter, even in Discord... his YT channel is really brilliant, a great idea for the scene.

Rest in peace.
Last edited by Juan F. Ramirez on Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

That's terrible news indeed. I almost didn't believe my eyes when I saw the thread. Daren was one of the first people I had any Speccy-related contact with when I sent him an RZX over a decade ago. He was such a nice helpful guy, and an absolute stalwart of the community.

RIP Daren. Condolences to his family.
Vampyre
Manic Miner

Post by Vampyre »

Ralf wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:20 pm What happened??? I' can't believe what I read.
Message left by Daren's wife Gillian on his Facebook page:

"After a short illness, Daren has very sadly passed away.

He was a loving husband, father, son, brother, uncle and friend and will be terribly missed.

I will post details about his funeral on here when they are know.

Gillian"
ZX Spectrum Reviews REST API: http://zxspectrumreviews.co.uk/
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

Well, that's a spectacularly horrid piece of news if ever there was one, even worse given that Daren was one of the very few people from the scene that I'd actually met. And here's the evidence.

It's almost from better days, you might say - this was a World of Spectrum meetup in April 2017, when WOS was in the middle of all the turbulence where that thing beginning with V that we don't mention ripped the scene in half and - hopefully I've got my facts right here - resulted in the creation of this place. Wounds may heal - you'd hope so after four and a half years - although I doubt WOS will ever be more than a hollowed-out shell of what it once was. But just briefly, it spluttered into enough life for that day pictured above. ("Polomint", who took the picture and therefore isn't in it, wandered off drunker than a sailor on shore leave before the end, but the rest of us stuck together.)

That should serve to explain why this hits harder than Our Glorious Creator departing this planet earlier in the year.

A page of the CSSCGC website needs updating. I will now do so.

EDIT:
Talking of WOS and what it once was, the "obituaries of notable people in the Sinclair scene" does not look to be accessible from the site as it is now, only from worldofspectrum.net with added Spanish translations. There are hundreds of obituaries out there for Sir Clive, as we all expected. Someone needs to write one for Daren - someone who knew him better than I did, obviously - his contributions are definitely in the same league as Joffa, Viktor Drozd, Ian Weatherburn, Tim Hartnell, Jim Langmead and anyone else who appears on the obituaries page. With a bit of luck it might even spark some kind of partial burial of the hatchet with Lee, or at least spark him into some kind of action as to recovering the obituaries page so that they can all be kept together.
Spectribution: Dr. Jim's Sinclair computing pages.
Features my own programs, modified type-ins, RZXs, character sets & UDGs, and QL type-ins... so far!
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

I can't believe this. He only sent us an update for his videos two days ago

This is very sad news.
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

I’m deeply saddened by the news. We haven’t communicated much—just a few emails and PMs, but he’s always struck me as a nice and friendly guy. Not to mention his huge and incredibly valuable effort of creating and maintaining the RZX archive.
RIP, Daren.
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
p13z
Manic Miner

Post by p13z »

Daren was really an unusually nice guy.
Been in touch with him online, and met up "in real life" over the years.
He has done a lot for the scene, and never heard one bad word about him.
Unexpected, shocked and utterly gutted.
Losing friends and scene members gets increasingly more common, and never gets easier -
F**k
:'(
equinox
Dynamite Dan

Post by equinox »

Shocked to catch sight of this thread title suddenly...

Daren had mentioned that he was ill because we were in periodic e-mail contact about the RZX Archive, and he hadn't been able to get around to updates so frequently. But I didn't know it was anything so serious.

Very sad news.
p13z
Manic Miner

Post by p13z »

equinox wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 1:39 am we were in periodic e-mail contact about the RZX Archive
I remember spending a weekend with you, Daren and Spike.
I've had an interesting life, but that still stands out as a memorable time.
Certainly never mixed that much alcohol with that many roller costers before or since.
arjun
Microbot

Post by arjun »

I heard about this at the middle of the night (via Discord) and was quite shocked. Didn't realise he was in a bad way. RIP Daren. Gone too soon!
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

Daren had mentioned that he was ill because we were in periodic e-mail contact about the RZX Archive, and he hadn't been able to get around to updates so frequently. But I didn't know it was anything so serious.
In the past I submitted a lot of rzx files to Daren and he always uploaded them to the Rzx Archive website the same day.
Recently I didn't record games that much, all the nice stuff is done. But somehow after a few months break I submitted a few recordings in the last few weeks.

We had a very casual conversation with Daren - "Hi, I recorded a game. Thanks, I'll upload it soon". And he uploaded it on weekends. The last my submitted game is AcoIyte, uploaded on 3rd November.

I had no idea that he's seriously ill, he didn't show anything. Just thought that he's busy with work, family and so on.

Now I wonder, if I knew, would I write something different, some words of support maybe? We were never with Daren on personal level, just shared the hobby. But I guess I could call him a friend.

I've never met Daren face to face (like everybody else here) but I'm really sad about him.
GreenCard
Dynamite Dan

Post by GreenCard »

Very, very sad news indeed. I never met Daren either, but he always came across as a thoroughly nice guy. RIP Daren.
MatGubbins
Dynamite Dan

Post by MatGubbins »

RIP Daren, thank you for the RZX archive.
AndyC
Dynamite Dan

Post by AndyC »

Tragic news. Another spec chum gone long before their time.
Ivanzx
Manic Miner

Post by Ivanzx »

This is really sad, a Spectrum mate that has been around for so much time, providing a big service to the scene with his RZX page and channel and never created any issue or discussion in the scene. Of course the worst part is for his family now, so RIP and thanks for all, Daren.
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

Yeah, really does seem like Daren has been around for ages.

Always sorry to hear about the death of a Spec-chum.
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

This is terrible news! RIP Daren.
Daveysloan
Manic Miner

Post by Daveysloan »

Awful news. Really sorry to hear this.
drbars
Drutt

Post by drbars »

Very sad news... An irretrievable loss for all... Sleep well dear friend.
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

I am shocked... I have been in contact with Daren for more than 20 years - he was a really nice person, and his contribution to the Spectrum community has been invaluable. My deepest condolences to his family.