Due to unusually high levels of website traffic you will be presenting with regular Cloudflare checks for the time being.

Best place for info on all NEW things Speccy related

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Best place for info on all NEW things Speccy related

Post by stupidget »

As the title suggests, where is the best place on the interweb to get updated on all things NEW speccy/NEXT related?

Having looked on Twitter it would appear that there is a hell of a lot happening in the speccy/NEXT scene that we're missing out on and it'd be great if there was a place where there are regular updates. I'm assuming that most people use the dreaded FB, which I'm loathe to go back to :evil:
Swainy
Manic Miner

Re: Best place for info on all NEW things Speccy related

Post by Swainy »

http://www.indieretronews.com is a great resource for new releases on old hardware.

As for Spectrum Next releases, I couldn’t find one definitive resource whilst I was making this video:

https://youtu.be/Y0JNRSGsi2o
Audionautas
Manic Miner

Post by Audionautas »

Hi

I don't think there is only one place to be informed or get updated nowadays. Well, in my case (I'm not interested in hardware, only in Spectrum games) I try to be updated through several sources.

1). El Spectrumero Javi Ortiz is the most important Youtube channel related to Spectrum games in Spain. He is a member of El Mundo del Spectrum (website/podcast/books) and he has premiered a lot of new games by Spanish/Italian/Portuguese/Argentinian authors amongst others nationalities. He regularly interviews authors or teams when they release a new game, for instance, he has recently interviewed Ariel Endaraues (The Last Escape), Pat Morita Team (Shovel Adventure), Alessandro Grussu (Italia 1944), ZX Bitles (Red Raid saga) or Bruce Groves (Cocoa and The Swarm is Coming) and so on. It's devoted to Spanish speakers only, but anyway, it's highly recommended.

2). Planeta Sinclair. If you want to get updated on the new games coming out, this portuguese website is the best. The work André Leao and his team is doing is simply amazing. They post news on every single new game appearing on the Spectrum scene and they also do very informative and complete reviews among other things. They have also recovered a lot of uMIA and MIA games in recent years. Simply unmissable website.

3). Sinc Lair. By far this Ukrainian Youtube channel is the biggest Spectrum related in the world, with more than 24.000 subscribers. Evgeniy Suhomlin is also member of SaNchez Crew and has contributed to games such as Delta's Shadow. Yes, his channel is in Russian only, but you can activate automatic/translated subs and although are not perfect translations by any means, at least we can know what is brewing on the Russian scene. His Facebook channel is very useful too. He's also making physical editions for most of SaNchez Crew games through ZX Online publishing platform.

4). Pixel Perfect. This is an 8/16 bit multi-platform news website led by Mikhail Sudakov, producer of Castlevania. Spectral Interlude and one of the most authoritative voices about the ZX Spectrum in Russia. There's a lot of Spectrum related news on his website.

5). ZX Speccy. This is a VK page that is some kind of Russian Facebook. If a new Russian game is released, you will read about it here first. You can easily translate its content via Google Translator.

6). If you are interested in one author/development team I recommend to follow them on Facebook or Twitter. For instance, Zosya Entertainment is very active on Facebook where they announce and preview their new games. If you want to get updated about physical editions I recommend to be subscribed to Bitmap Soft/Phoenix Software, Polyplay, PlayOnRetro, Matranet, Cronosoft or whatever online shop on Twitter. If you are interested on news about ZX-DEV the Iván Sánchez twitter is key and so on.

7). If you are interested in all things ZX Spectrum Next related, its official Facebook group is essential.

These are my main sources of information. I'm subscribed to a lot more Spectrum related channels on Youtube, Facebook or Twitter, but to get updated on games, probably these are the main ones or at least the ones I've found more useful.

Regards
Last edited by Audionautas on Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:35 am, edited 3 times in total.
Andre Leao
Bugaboo

Post by Andre Leao »

Thanks ;)
Nitrowing
Manic Miner

Post by Nitrowing »

As someone who detests social media platforms, this forum is my only source of information.
I've seen a few superb forums nearly die due to social media and the loss of so much knowledge and experience saddens me.
MtM
Dizzy

Post by MtM »

I agree wholeheartedly with the suggestion about indieretronews, it is a really good site always kept
well up to date, and covers not just spectrum stuff but all retro stuff.

jswmm.co.uk forums are second to none for expertise on Manic Miner and JSW and variations.

For me, especially as a none fb user, the Next fb pages are poor these days I think, especially trying to view
them not logged in using safari on a MacBook pro. Although apparently an open page, you are plagued to log in all
the time, not having an account I can't.

The spectrum next forums here are quite useful, no idea why they aren't more popular

https://www.specnext.com/forum/

I know a few folks went to discord, but that is even worse in my opinion. Forums work best for me personally.

However I think these forums are excellent too, there is a lot of cross pollination, and something that might appear
somewhere else in the world spectrum related will likely be mentioned around here at some point.
stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Post by stupidget »

Nitrowing wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:05 pm As someone who detests social media platforms, this forum is my only source of information.
I've seen a few superb forums nearly die due to social media and the loss of so much knowledge and experience saddens me.
Yep I'm with you there and the though of going back onto FB really does not appeal. I think it's the fact that on here there just seems to be an increase in lists and very little actual news apart from [mention]Andre Leao[/mention] and his regular Brand New Software updates.

Indieretronews seems to have a regularly updated twitter feed and some of those YT pages that [mention]Audionautas[/mention] has mentioned look really interesting. I didn't even realise that YT had an option for auto-translate :lol: :lol:
clebin
Manic Miner

Post by clebin »

stupidget wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:04 pm Indieretronews seems to have a regularly updated twitter feed and some of those YT pages that @Audionautas has mentioned look really interesting. I didn't even realise that YT had an option for auto-translate :lol: :lol:
I use Feedly for all my RSS feeds, which is like the old Google Reader. I have all sorts in there, including retro stuff like Indie Retro News and Vintage is the New Old. It's much easier than checking sites to see if there's been anything new posted.
stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Post by stupidget »

clebin wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:24 pm I use Feedly for all my RSS feeds, which is like the old Google Reader......
Well that pretty much does everything that I need. Nice 1 [mention]clebin[/mention]
Audionautas
Manic Miner

Post by Audionautas »

stupidget wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:04 pm
Nitrowing wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:05 pm As someone who detests social media platforms, this forum is my only source of information.
Yep I'm with you there and the though of going back onto FB really does not appeal. I think it's the fact that on here there just seems to be an increase in lists and very little actual news apart from @Andre Leao and his regular Brand New Software updates.

Indieretronews seems to have a regularly updated twitter feed and some of those YT pages that @Audionautas has mentioned look really interesting. I didn't even realise that YT had an option for auto-translate :lol: :lol:
Yes, Youtube has that option of auto-translate for a few years now, but you will probably regret trying to understand four words in a row, even less a simple phrase. I think translating from Russian to English is better than Russian to Spanish, but anyway is far from being a great feature at the moment. However Evgeniy has personally translated some of his videos into English, but they are a minority, sadly.

Indie Retro News is a great source of information too, that I used much more in the past. However since I'm subscribed through Feedly to all those Russian websites or Youtube channels I'm up-to-date hours and even days prior to their updates. But if you don't want to deal with Google Translator all the time is a really good news website. Anyway, for me, Twitter and to a lesser extent, Facebook are my main sources. Anyway, at the end of the day, it's a blend of all of them.

Regards
Alone Coder
Manic Miner

Post by Alone Coder »

As the official ATM Turbo website http://atmturbo.nedopc.com/ does not update for most of the year, there is no news page on this popular setup. I collect news here: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=3398&hilit=atm+turbo