BASIC Programming workflow on MAC

The place for codemasters or beginners to talk about programming any language for the Spectrum.
citizenfish
Drutt

BASIC Programming workflow on MAC

Post by citizenfish »

I’m about to begin a project porting a game written in BASIC to my Spectrum.

I am a MAC user and it looks like my best option is

-ZXBasic
-Sublime syntax highlighting
-FUSE

I looked at the Kliveide project but it is not stable and I had issues with it on my M1 iMac

Was just wondering if any other Mac users had decent workflows for developing and testing in pure Spectrum basic?
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Re: BASIC Programming workflow on MAC

Post by Ast A. Moore »

I don’t really program in BASIC, but for the few tests I occasionally do, I use bas2tap in TextMate. Not sure how it’ll play along with M1 Macs, though.
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
Twig
Drutt

Post by Twig »

Are there any other text editors (preferably open source/free ones) that support BASIC syntax highlighting?
worcestersource
Manic Miner

Post by worcestersource »

My setup, although I haven’t touched my project in a long time was:

- Boriel
- MacVIM to edit
- FUSE to play
IgnaCoBo
Drutt

Post by IgnaCoBo »

M1 macbook pro:

I use Parallels to install Win10. Then BasinC to edit and debug.

:twisted: :twisted:
firelord
Manic Miner

Post by firelord »

Not the best option, but you can try zxcoder.org.
It's main advantage is that is web based and you can work from anywhere (tablet etc) .
I use it in conjuction with pastebin or other similar sites to always have my work online and accesible from anywhere.
PQR
Manic Miner

Post by PQR »

Twig wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:43 am Are there any other text editors (preferably open source/free ones) that support BASIC syntax highlighting?
I don’t know if Sublime Text is still available as a trial version, but I used that version for a long time.
(Before I bought a proper license because now I’m using it on a daily basis.)

The Sinclair BASIC package from TextMate works there, and can even generate tap files.
I haven’t tried bas2tap on my M1 machine yet. Probably it needs to be compiled from source.

GRC7800
Drutt

Post by GRC7800 »

firelord wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:30 am Not the best option, but you can try zxcoder.org.
It's main advantage is that is web based and you can work from anywhere (tablet etc) .
I use it in conjuction with pastebin or other similar sites to always have my work online and accesible from anywhere.
It boggles my mind how well-made and convenient this programming environment is. I really feel like it should be more popular and discussed. It is just excellent.
firelord
Manic Miner

Post by firelord »

GRC7800 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:31 pm It boggles my mind how well-made and convenient this programming environment is. I really feel like it should be more popular and discussed. It is just excellent.
In the beggining it also supported Boriel Basic but the author told me he had some issues.
mrcook
Drutt

Post by mrcook »

There is the ZX-Basic syntax highlighter for Visual Studio Code. I've only used it for reading BASIC listings but it looks nice: https://github.com/jsanjose/zxbasic-vscode

I've previously used bas2tap which worked fine. I'm not sure if I've compiled it since upgrading to an M2 but I can't image why it would fail; it's very standard C.