2browse file manager for esxDOS

Show us what you're working on, (preferably with screenshots).
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

2browse file manager for esxDOS

Post by bob_fossil »

Introducing, 2browse - a twin pane file manager for esxDOS based on my long filename browser code.

This is an early work-in-progress so don't use this for anything mission critical as it may chew up or corrupt your files. It requires a divMMC compatible device with at least 128k of memory. It also requires an existing installation of my long filename browser.

Copy the contents of the 2browse BIN folder to the /BIN folder on your SD Card. To run, from BASIC enter:

Code: Select all

.2browse
or if you want to start browsing from a specific folder, in this case the /BIN folder:

Code: Select all

.2browse /bin
2browse supports browser plugins and the majority of keys from the long filename browser with the following additions:

Extended Mode - Swap between windows
Caps Shift + M - Move selected file to other window
Caps Shift + C - Copy selected file to other window

The following browser keys are not supported in 2browse:

Caps Shift + S - Save snapshot
Caps Shift + K - Poke
Caps Shift + L - External command
Caps Shift + N - Default NMI
Symbol Shift + F - Toggle full-screen file browser

Known issues:
  • All file operations (Move, Copy, New Folder, Rename) are limited to 8.3 filenames.
  • If you copy a file and then perform the same copy again, you aren't prompted to overwrite or abort the copy. You just get a cryptic error message displayed.
  • 2browse uses the BROWSE.CFG and font file from the long filename browser. Any changes you make to those will be carried over into 2browse.
  • Copy and move operations cannot be aborted once started.
Download here.
Luzie
Manic Miner

Re: 2browse file manager for esxDOS

Post by Luzie »

[mention]bob_fossil[/mention]
Thank you very much.

I must include this soon into an updated version of my "Almost (In-) Complete List of esxDOS DOT-Commands" ( viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4075 )

Small thing I discovered:
After erasing a file the number of files is not updated automatically. It´s updatet when you leave the directory and return into it.
Here you can see file-counter 003/002 after erasing a file:

bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

Luzie wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 7:37 pm
Small thing I discovered:
After erasing a file the number of files is not updated automatically. It´s updatet when you leave the directory and return into it.
Here you can see file-counter 003/002 after erasing a file:

Thanks for the bug report. There was a problem with the highlight and status bar file count going wrong when you erased the last file in a folder. It also goes wrong in .browse as well as they share a lot of code. I've fixed the bug and it will be available in the next test releases of browser and 2browse.
Luzie
Manic Miner

Post by Luzie »

Luzie wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 7:37 pm I must include this soon into an updated version of my "Almost (In-) Complete List of esxDOS DOT-Commands" ( viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4075 )
Dear [mention]bob_fossil[/mention]I included .2browse into this list.

One further question about it: As .2browse depends on an existing installation of your long filename browser (and share some code with it) - wouldn´t it be easier to keep version numbers of .2browse and LFN-Browser-Package "in sync"? Best how you prefer it.
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

Luzie wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 7:39 pm One further question about it: As .2browse depends on an existing installation of your long filename browser (and share some code with it) - wouldn´t it be easier to keep version numbers of .2browse and LFN-Browser-Package "in sync"? Best how you prefer it.
I will keep it separate for the time being. I would like to merge the changes from 2browse's code (2browse is basically a hacked around copy of the browser source) back into the main browser so I can build both 2browse and browse from the same source (giving them the same version number) but I'd like to get 2browse into a more stable / tested state. Having 2browse as a separate project with a different version number makes that a bit clearer for the moment.
Luzie
Manic Miner

Post by Luzie »

Dear [mention]bob_fossil[/mention] is there a way to copy actual selected filename (with or without path) to the commandline when exiting LFB or .2BROWSE? If not: How do you like this idea?
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

Luzie wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:43 pm Dear @bob_fossil is there a way to copy actual selected filename (with or without path) to the commandline when exiting LFB or .2BROWSE? If not: How do you like this idea?
This feature is in the original browser .browse dot command (Shift + L) but when I was looking at features to remove or not implement for 2browse, I disabled it as no one ever mentioned using it. :)
Luzie
Manic Miner

Post by Luzie »

bob_fossil wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:08 pm
Luzie wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:43 pm Dear @bob_fossil is there a way to copy actual selected filename (with or without path) to the commandline when exiting LFB or .2BROWSE? If not: How do you like this idea?
This feature is in the original browser .browse dot command (Shift + L) but when I was looking at features to remove or not implement for 2browse, I disabled it as no one ever mentioned using it. :)
:o I see it´s still working in .browse - Could I please ask for enabling it in .2browse too? It´s very handy entering "LongFileNames/LongDirNames" which are translated to there Short 8.3-name and send to the commandline by using Shift+L.
Spezzi63
Drutt

Post by Spezzi63 »

bob_fossil wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 8:39 pm I will keep it separate for the time being. I would like to merge the changes from 2browse's code (2browse is basically a hacked around copy of the browser source) back into the main browser so I can build both 2browse and browse from the same source (giving them the same version number) but I'd like to get 2browse into a more stable / tested state. Having 2browse as a separate project with a different version number makes that a bit clearer for the moment.
Hi Bob,
so that the wonderful "2browse file manager for esxDOS" is not forgotten, I would like to get in touch here to ask for this tool
to be updated to the current "Long Filename Browser for ZX-UNO / esxDOS" :dance
It would be nice of you to adapt the design to the new version of the browser.
Of course, it would still be my dream if multiple selection of files and/or whole directories could be copied or moved.
Also to the often asked question: How do I copy or move files or directories e.g. HD0 to HD1, could that work in the future ?
It would be your professional opinion on this question, very interesting ? 8-)
See you then,
Günter
szerman
Drutt

Post by szerman »

Is it possible to after selecting a folder have the program pass the path and file selected to vairables, so that
that the 2browse tool can be used as a tool to aid coders wishing to advance their programs for file selection?

e.g

2browse -query a$

Browser starts when file selected path and file are then stored in a$

Thanks for your great work