Showcasing my graphics

Share graphical tips, notes and queries related to our favourite screen layout and its editors.
Grongy
Manic Miner

Re: Showcasing my graphics

Post by Grongy »

Grongy
Manic Miner

Post by Grongy »

A little bit of SpecSCII, the first one obviously isn't mine, just tried to convert pixel-art version of The Simpsons from the fan-made video, second one is entirely original.
Image Image
Grongy
Manic Miner

Post by Grongy »

Grongy
Manic Miner

Post by Grongy »

Grongy
Manic Miner

Post by Grongy »

Tried to copy that screenshot from YouTube video with SNES cartridge and TV screen behind it:
Grongy
Manic Miner

Post by Grongy »

Grongy
Manic Miner

Post by Grongy »

Grongy
Manic Miner

Post by Grongy »

A Soviet robot toy :D
Grongy
Manic Miner

Post by Grongy »

Also forgot to mention - May 30 2021 is the day I uploaded my first art to the ZX-Art by myself, so yeah, technically I'm drawing Spectrum art for an year now. :D
Grongy
Manic Miner

Post by Grongy »

Tried to do a font, this one is obviously inspired by Back to the Future a bit :)
evilpaul
Manic Miner

Post by evilpaul »

I'm still blown away by the quality and quantity of work that you are producing! Keep it up :)

Also.. if you ever wanted to make a a slideshow demo or something (something more like Attributica maybe?) with your screens, I would love to help make that happen ;)
Grongy
Manic Miner

Post by Grongy »

Another one:
I'm still blown away by the quality and quantity of work that you are producing! Keep it up
Thanks! ;)
Also.. if you ever wanted to make a a slideshow demo or something (something more like Attributica maybe?) with your screens, I would love to help make that happen
That's a great idea, and I actually thought about it a bit, but I'm not sure how to do it. An ordinary basic slide-show without any additional animation might be nice, but I'm not sure. I have some ideas about animation, but it's sure difficult to draw and code all of that. Also, I'm not sure about the compression methods, is it possible to put 50 pictures on a tape with viewer, music and stuff?
evilpaul
Manic Miner

Post by evilpaul »

Grongy wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 4:35 pm That's a great idea, and I actually thought about it a bit, but I'm not sure how to do it. An ordinary basic slide-show without any additional animation might be nice, but I'm not sure. I have some ideas about animation, but it's sure difficult to draw and code all of that. Also, I'm not sure about the compression methods, is it possible to put 50 pictures on a tape with viewer, music and stuff?
Well.. based on the stats from the Clive tribute slideshow, you could probably fit something like 20 to 25 into a single load 128k slideshow. That would be just for the music, slideshow code and the screens themselves. Obviously that's a pretty rough estimate and it really depends on how well each screen compresses.. but it's an idea.
Lethargeek
Manic Miner

Post by Lethargeek »

Grongy wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 4:35 pm That's a great idea, and I actually thought about it a bit, but I'm not sure how to do it. An ordinary basic slide-show without any additional animation might be nice, but I'm not sure. I have some ideas about animation, but it's sure difficult to draw and code all of that. Also, I'm not sure about the compression methods, is it possible to put 50 pictures on a tape with viewer, music and stuff?
it depends on the complexity of the pictures
was able to squeeze 12 pics into 38k with my compressor
https://cloud.mail.ru/public/agpw/PPWFbWfQH
so you get about 2:1 average compression ratio with it
decompression is kinda slow though, 1-2 secs per screen
Grongy
Manic Miner

Post by Grongy »

Grongy
Manic Miner

Post by Grongy »

Grongy
Manic Miner

Post by Grongy »

XTM
Manic Miner

Post by XTM »

Responding to the last two posts:

That blocky-pixeled Amstrad, what a great idea. Can you imagine the rage this will trigger in the Amstrad community if they get to see this :lol:

Also nice coincidence with that pic of what appears to be the "meth lab" camping van from Breaking Bad? I'm not joking here, just a few minutes before I saw this post I literally had finished watching a bunch of season recaps on YouTube to refresh my memories of one the greatest series I've ever watched.
azesmbog
Manic Miner

Post by azesmbog »

Spoiler
Here is an example of a slide show of standard Spectrum pictures and frames around them. On the border.

for Pentagon timings, but theoretically you can try zx48 timings as well. The speed, direction, and sequence and duration is customized for each picture.
Well, so as not to get up twice:
Grongy
Manic Miner

Post by Grongy »

azesmbog wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:46 pm Well, so as not to get up twice:
Yup, I thought about putting this video here, but ultimately decided not to, simply because it doesn't have any English subtitles. I suppose you can watch it with closed captions translated on the fly, but most of the time it produces gibberish (possibly due to my audio equipment), so I dunno. If anyone's interested, here I'm talking about how I got myself into Spectrum scene, about my favorite current Spectrum artists (I mentioned helpcomputer0, for example), about my experience with retro games and my involvement with other projects.
XTM wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:38 pm Responding to the last two posts:

That blocky-pixeled Amstrad, what a great idea. Can you imagine the rage this will trigger in the Amstrad community if they get to see this :lol:

Also nice coincidence with that pic of what appears to be the "meth lab" camping van from Breaking Bad? I'm not joking here, just a few minutes before I saw this post I literally had finished watching a bunch of season recaps on YouTube to refresh my memories of one the greatest series I've ever watched.
About that Amstrad picture - personally I think that this computer is pretty capable in the right hands and it's possible to do amazing stuff with it. Unfortunately, I noticed that the majority of games released in the mid-late 80's for Amstrad CPC were just lazy ports of Speccy versions (same thing with MSX, I guess), basically the same games, but also slower. So yeah, that's the mind of 80's Spectrum about his rival, basically. :)

Yeah, that's RV from Breaking Bad, even though there are some differences in design.
Last edited by Grongy on Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
azesmbog
Manic Miner

Post by azesmbog »

I think auto-translation of subtitles is quite understandable.
And then, you need to know the Heroes by sight :)
Grongy
Manic Miner

Post by Grongy »

Grongy
Manic Miner

Post by Grongy »

Grongy
Manic Miner

Post by Grongy »

luny
Manic Miner

Post by luny »

Grongy wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:19 am Image
What a happy little painter. ;)
I code to live (Job) and I live to code (Retro). One of them has to give!