New Database Model ZXDB

This is the place for general discussion and updates about the ZXDB Database. This forum is not specific to Spectrum Computing.

Moderator: druellan

Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Re: New Database Model ZXDB

Post by Einar Saukas »

A new ZXDB update is available!
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

A new ZXDB release is now available... finally!

My apologies for the delay, I just came back from vacation today.

If you notice anything missing from this release, don't worry. I was in a hurry to release all the accumulated content, so there's a good chance I skipped a few submissions this time. However nothing got lost! I will review everything and, if there's anything I missed, it will be included in the next update ASAP.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

This is update #130 (plus the as yet uncounted amount before SC) :–)
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

A very large ZXDB update is now available!

This was the largest update in about a year, with over 5000 lines of database script. There was so much accumulated content that it took me several days to prepare this release... Let's hope I have learned my lesson to release updates more frequently from now on :)
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Thanks [mention]Einar Saukas[/mention],

I'm going to do this over the weekend.

Peter
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

PeterJ wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:48 am Thanks @Einar Saukas,

I'm going to do this over the weekend.

Peter
And I've checked the SQL, and I see that [mention]flatduckrecords[/mention] has been removed as author of Nodes of yesod. You have one more week to revel in the reflected glory of Odin Rob :–)
flatduckrecords
Manic Miner

Post by flatduckrecords »

R-Tape wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 5:13 pm And I've checked the SQL, and I see that @flatduckrecords has been removed as author of Nodes of yesod. You have one more week to revel in the reflected glory of Odin Rob :–)
Haha! It was fun while it lasted. In the meantime I've been enjoying (actual Nodes of Yesod author) Steve Wetherill's recent blogs. News of the Nodes port for Next, and stories (and many technical* details) from back in the day as well. :ugeek:

*genning up in case anyone asks me any questions about my involvement, haha ;)
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

An ID got mixed up. We identified the cause of this problem and improved our process to prevent something similar from happening again. Sorry about that!
arjun
Microbot

Post by arjun »

Hi @Einar Saukas ,

While integrating the ZXInfo API with Zero, I noticed that while I can get the PNG/JPG/GIF version of images for Inlays and Running screens (in-game screen), the Loading Screen seems to be available only in the non-standard SCR format. Is the loading screen not available in PNG or GIF version in zxdb, or is this a limitation of the API? If not, can we not have them available as a standard image format as well so that the loading screens can be downloaded and displayed without requiring a SCR to PNG/GIF conversion on the client end.
4thRock
Manic Miner

Post by 4thRock »

I'll let Einar answer, but let me add that some running screens are also SCRs. In some cases, other spectrum formats are used in order to preserve multicolor information.
This is done from a preservation point of view, as we are interested in storing all of the original data to the bit level.
arjun
Microbot

Post by arjun »

4thRock wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:29 am I'll let Einar answer, but let me add that some running screens are also SCRs. In some cases, other spectrum formats are used in order to preserve multicolor information.
This is done from a preservation point of view, as we are interested in storing all of the original data to the bit level.
That's fine. Use SCR to store all images for accuracy, but could we also store PNG/GIF versions or is that not practical?
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

arjun wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:33 am While integrating the ZXInfo API with Zero, I noticed that while I can get the PNG/JPG/GIF version of images for Inlays and Running screens (in-game screen), the Loading Screen seems to be available only in the non-standard SCR format. Is the loading screen not available in PNG or GIF version in zxdb, or is this a limitation of the API? If not, can we not have them available as a standard image format as well so that the loading screens can be downloaded and displayed without requiring a SCR to PNG/GIF conversion on the client end.
Images in SCR format are automatically converted to PNG by SpectrumComputing. You can download each of them using this link:

Code: Select all

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/SCRtoImage.php?SCR=<FILE_LINK>&border=<SCR_BORDER>
You can get the exact values for FILE_LINK and SCR_BORDER from ZXDB. For instance:

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/SCRtoIm ... r&border=0
arjun
Microbot

Post by arjun »

Einar Saukas wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:27 pm Images in SCR format are automatically converted to PNG by SpectrumComputing. You can download each of them using this link:

Code: Select all

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/SCRtoImage.php?SCR=<FILE_LINK>&border=<SCR_BORDER>
You can get the exact values for FILE_LINK and SCR_BORDER from ZXDB. For instance:

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/SCRtoIm ... r&border=0
Thanks Einar! That's exactly what the doctor ordered. :)
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

A new ZXDB update is finally available!!!

My apologies for the delay, real life is keeping me very busy...
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Einar Saukas wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:22 pm My apologies for the delay, real life is keeping me very busy...
Don't worry about it Einar - the world is proper topsy turvy these days. It's nice to be able to celebrate a bit of stability with update #131. :)
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Another ZXDB update is available now!
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

A new ZXDB version is now available!
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Thanks @Einar Saukas,

I will update the site on Thursday evening.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Another ZXDB update is available now!
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Thanks @Einar Saukas,

I will update on Friday afternoon.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

A new ZXDB update is now available!
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Another ZXDB update is available!
Neil Parsons
Manic Miner

Post by Neil Parsons »

I have a doubt. If I want to add for a particular program, already available at SC or just at the moment of creating its entry, the tag for Inspiration/Licence in which it's based, which text and options can I use for?

For example, Topin game from MicroHobby magazine is inspired in "Crush Roller" arcade by Alpha Denshi in 1981. Is that easy to put this info? I've tried to do a search through this forum to find anything related with this issue but I'm a bit confused.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

When adding a new entry with the online form, click on "show advanced features". You will see a section called "License/Inspiration".

Or you can use "Small changes for existing entries" in the online form, that also contains section "License/Inspiration".
Neil Parsons
Manic Miner

Post by Neil Parsons »

Einar Saukas wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:43 am When adding a new entry with the online form, click on "show advanced features". You will see a section called "License/Inspiration".

Or you can use "Small changes for existing entries" in the online form, that also contains section "License/Inspiration".
Thanks Einar!