N-Go in stock at manuferhi.com

The Speccy's spritely young offspring. Discuss everything from FPGA to ZX
mausthekat
Drutt

Re: N-Go in stock at manuferhi.com

Post by mausthekat »

I copied the files onto an entirely clean card.

This was the startup screen.

As soon as I tried the tape loader, it reset back to the main menu.
Alcoholics Anonymous
Microbot

Post by Alcoholics Anonymous »

Did it crash on all tap files you tried? Would you mind trying to do it from scratch again by formatting the sd card and copying files onto a blank slate to verify it breaks? There is a new 2.07a committed a little while ago so fetching again from gitlab might be a good idea.
Alcoholics Anonymous
Microbot

kegnkiwi wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 6:44 pm May i ask what was the point of the raspberry pi zero, because after reading your post if they had the stop of the pie zero i would have had one fitted. Unfortunately they were out of stock. Is it so you can play other platforms games on the n-go? I already have a raspberry pi 4.
The Next is a multicomputer system where the z80 side and the pi zero side communicate through the 28-pin gpio interface. At the moment, the Next is mainly using the pi to play tzx files and sid/mod/sndh/... music files but you can also connect to the pi as a terminal and enter commands in a linux shell. The micro hdmi "debug" port is the pi's video out and you can connect that to an hdmi monitor to see the pi's video.

More things using it will come in the future and other cores may use it. For example, the bbc normally connects to a pi zero via the tube to emulate a very fast 6502 processor. The Next's bbc core is not currently doing that, having implemented a fast 6502 co-processor on the fpga instead, but I expect that might change in the future too.
mausthekat
Drutt

Post by mausthekat »

Alcoholics Anonymous wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 5:59 am Did it crash on all tap files you tried? Would you mind trying to do it from scratch again by formatting the sd card and copying files onto a blank slate to verify it breaks? There is a new 2.07a committed a little while ago so fetching again from gitlab might be a good idea.

I'll give it a try in the morning with a fresh SD card (it's 2am here.)

It did it consistently every time the tape loader was selected, crashing before displaying the hardware menu. I wasn't even able to get as far as loading an actual file.
Chris23235
Microbot

Post by Chris23235 »

mausthekat wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 7:18 am
Alcoholics Anonymous wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 5:59 am Did it crash on all tap files you tried? Would you mind trying to do it from scratch again by formatting the sd card and copying files onto a blank slate to verify it breaks? There is a new 2.07a committed a little while ago so fetching again from gitlab might be a good idea.

I'll give it a try in the morning with a fresh SD card (it's 2am here.)

It did it consistently every time the tape loader was selected, crashing before displaying the hardware menu. I wasn't even able to get as far as loading an actual file.
Just tested it, tape loader menu works fine on my n-go.
mausthekat
Drutt

Post by mausthekat »

I did the same, with a fresh download of the latest zip from gitlab and a new sd card.

It still didn't work. I took a video of the process.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/52vltswoyuvcx ... 0.MOV?dl=0

Note that it works fine with the 1.30 firmware.
Chris23235
Microbot

Post by Chris23235 »

That's strange, did you try reflashing the FW by pressing U at boot?
mausthekat
Drutt

Post by mausthekat »

Just tried again with reflash. Same result.

Alcoholics Anonymous
Microbot

That is strange -- I can't get it to crash here. Does it also crash if loading tap from the browser? Both ways (physical tape and tap file) use most of the same system code. Maybe I should ask what video mode you use too (hdmi, vga-0, etc).

Does anyone else with an NGO have this problem?
mausthekat
Drutt

Post by mausthekat »

Alcoholics Anonymous wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 12:34 am That is strange -- I can't get it to crash here. Does it also crash if loading tap from the browser? Both ways (physical tape and tap file) use most of the same system code. Maybe I should ask what video mode you use too (hdmi, vga-0, etc).

Does anyone else with an NGO have this problem?
I'm using vga mode 0 (50hz).
Loading a tap from the browser brings up the expected menu, and the tap file loads instantly. I'm perplexed.

(This is a brand new n-go I ordered just before I posted this thread.)
Chris23235
Microbot

Post by Chris23235 »

I use VGA 50Hz too, so this shouldn't be the reason.
Alcoholics Anonymous
Microbot

@mausthekat Garry figures he's located the problem and it will be fixed in the next update at gitlab. Does the crash still occur after you've disabled the welcome message with "D"? (and maybe a reset afterward).
mausthekat
Drutt

Post by mausthekat »

Alcoholics Anonymous wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 3:31 pm @mausthekat Garry figures he's located the problem and it will be fixed in the next update at gitlab. Does the crash still occur after you've disabled the welcome message with "D"? (and maybe a reset afterward).
That was it. It's working now.
mausthekat
Drutt

Post by mausthekat »

Looks like an update has been checked in; I'll test it out in a bit.

EDIT: @Alcoholics Anonymous looks good!
kegnkiwi
Dizzy

Post by kegnkiwi »

Morning all,

When the N-go arrives possibly on Friday this week do I need to load some firmware onto an sd card or something. The site I bought it from has a link to software but as I am new to it I would just like a heads up. Does it take high-capacity sd cards or does it have to be something small?
Chris23235
Microbot

Post by Chris23235 »

kegnkiwi wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 7:49 am Morning all,

When the N-go arrives possibly on Friday this week do I need to load some firmware onto an sd card or something. The site I bought it from has a link to software but as I am new to it I would just like a heads up. Does it take high-capacity sd cards or does it have to be something small?
You can use the official Next firmware on your n-go. You can get the latest version here:

https://gitlab.com/thesmog358/tbblue/-/tree/master/

If your seller sends you an SD card with the software already on the card simply unzip the latest version from the gitlab and overwrite the files on your card.

The n-go takes high capacity cards, but because of the filesize you most likely won't fill it. 4GB is the maximum you will be able to fill even if you have everything on the card, but as it gets more and more impossible to buy cards with less the 32GB capacity it doesn't matter.
kegnkiwi
Dizzy

Post by kegnkiwi »

Thanks chris am i right in thinking the games that i want i just drop somewhere on the same sd card. Then use the browser to go to that directory and select the game?
Chris23235
Microbot

Post by Chris23235 »

kegnkiwi wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:59 am Thanks chris am i right in thinking the games that i want i just drop somewhere on the same sd card. Then use the browser to go to that directory and select the game?
That's exactly how it works. The next browser displays long filenames by default and supports - additionally to the Next specific filetypes - the following files: TAP, Z80, SNA, TZX (when a Pi0 is fitted to the board), dsk (limited support only some files work), z3/z5 (z-machine files).

When you want to load SCL or TRD files it is not possible from the Next browser, you have to install DIVMMC on one of the personalities (this is what the Next calls the supported ZX models. You can access these from the Boot-Menu).
kegnkiwi
Dizzy

Post by kegnkiwi »

May i ask is there a specific pi zero that you need to buy to fit into the n-go? I've seen in this thread they are hard to get hold of. I quick look around the next and some models are available. Is there a spec that is needed to just slot into the next/n-go?

Thanks for replying in advance.
Chris23235
Microbot

Post by Chris23235 »

You need a Pi0 that with a male header soldered to the bottom. You have either to solder the header on a Pi0 yourself or you have to buy from a seller who pre-built it with the Pi0.

You need the original Pi0 for this.
mausthekat
Drutt

Post by mausthekat »

Chris23235 wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:09 pm You need a Pi0 that with a male header soldered to the bottom. You have either to solder the header on a Pi0 yourself or you have to buy from a seller who pre-built it with the Pi0.

I used a 2015 Pi Zero 1.3 that I had lying around.

Are the later models (W etc.) not suitable, or simply not officially supported?
Chris23235
Microbot

Post by Chris23235 »

mausthekat wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 4:07 pm
Chris23235 wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:09 pm You need a Pi0 that with a male header soldered to the bottom. You have either to solder the header on a Pi0 yourself or you have to buy from a seller who pre-built it with the Pi0.

I used a 2015 Pi Zero 1.3 that I had lying around.

Are the later models (W etc.) not suitable, or simply not officially supported?
The later Pi Zero models are supported I think. This was bad wording on my side, what I meant was you need a Pi Zero and not a Pi Zero 2. I think it doesn't matter if it is a Pi Zero or a Pi Zero W as the Wifi of the Pi Zero isn't used.
mausthekat
Drutt

Post by mausthekat »

Chris23235 wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:59 pm
The later Pi Zero models are supported I think. This was bad wording on my side, what I meant was you need a Pi Zero and not a Pi Zero 2. I think it doesn't matter if it is a Pi Zero or a Pi Zero W as the Wifi of the Pi Zero isn't used.
This could really use some kind of official FAQ, because I was convinced it couldn't be a W. I've got loads of those, but I had to turn my house upside-down to find one of the two non-W zeroes I bought in 2015! And in the end I could only find one of them! 😂 I think I gave the other one away a couple of years back.
kegnkiwi
Dizzy

Post by kegnkiwi »

My new sexie n-go arrive today in matt black.
Chris23235
Microbot

Post by Chris23235 »

kegnkiwi wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:06 pm My new sexie n-go arrive today in matt black.
Have fun :)