Due to unusually high levels of website traffic you will be presenting with regular Cloudflare checks for the time being.

Dynamite Dan II, I finally Completed it!

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
zeusdaz
Drutt

Dynamite Dan II, I finally Completed it!

Post by zeusdaz »

I just had to post this, I finally completed Dan II without cheats and man am I happy!
I hope you enjoy the full longplay, it contains full commentary, recorded on my 128k Toastrack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnBmDAw1sBc
hitm4n
Manic Miner

Re: Dynamite Dan II, I finally Completed it!

Post by hitm4n »

Nice vid. You made it look easy.
I don't have anything cool to put here, so i'll just be off now to see a priest with yeast stuck between his teeth and his friend called Keith who's a hairpiece thief...
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

Wow, fair play - and well done.

I always struggled with both DD & DD2, finding it very difficult to avoid most of the nasties flying around the screen.

I suppose unlike MM & JSW you only lose energy, rather than a life. And there's plentiful restorative food/drink all over the place.
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
bluespikey
Manic Miner

Post by bluespikey »

Nice. I always found the jumping too frustrating to enjoy. But the maps, each with very different graphics, and all the tunes. It goes on and on and on like a 128k game. Seriously impressive.
Mousey
Microbot

Post by Mousey »

Wow, that's great, well done! DDII is my favourite Speccy platformer but I've never got beyond island 4. I must try harder.

I haven't watched the video for fear of spoilers, but I was always under the impression that DDII doesn't have an end sequence. Am I right in thinking it just takes you back to the title screen if you complete the 8th island?
zeusdaz
Drutt

Post by zeusdaz »

Mousey wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 6:33 pm Wow, that's great, well done! DDII is my favourite Speccy platformer but I've never got beyond island 4. I must try harder.

I haven't watched the video for fear of spoilers, but I was always under the impression that DDII doesn't have an end sequence. Am I right in thinking it just takes you back to the title screen if you complete the 8th island?
Yeah I'm afraid so, once you get into the blimp after playing the 8th record it just fizzles back to the title screen,...bit of a dim thing on the programmers behalf by failing to put an ending in,...mind you,...the ending to DD1 was just a bit of crappy text.

Be sure to watch the vid, I try not to give too much away ;-)
Mousey
Microbot

Post by Mousey »

zeusdaz wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 12:24 amBe sure to watch the vid, I try not to give too much away ;-)
I caved and watched the video. Great job, and I enjoyed the fact you didn't give away what everything does.

I'm astonished at how unforgiving the 5th island is. No wonder you skip it!

I'd love a proper ending but worse would be it not ending at all. i.e. you could play the 8th record, return to the blimp and nothing - it doesn't even move. At least by going back to the title screen it acknowledges you've reached the end.
spider
Dynamite Dan

Post by spider »

@zeusdaz I must say I enjoyed this immensely. :) Thank you!

I'm not a great YT fan , I tend to download what I wish to watch and view later (slow connection) although I'll admit I was put off when I thought it was going to be overloaded with commentary.

I was mistaken! :D ,,, perfect balance of hints and just enough sane commentary to let you know what is going on without spoiling it too much, although some of the objects are quite cryptic it must be said.

Regarding the awol ending , well I think there was a 128K version planned pretty sure I've seen one advert somewhere once and once only, however I know people have spoken to R.B and he could not recall (or something like that) , if I had to take a sane guess I'd say it may be a case of where the 'not finished' one was sent for mastering/duplication. It has happened before with other titles, for instance one of the "skool" games at least, the re-release was done with an earlier version of the code. Its my only logical thought really.

I still have my original "double size" DD2 tape!

Favourite poke: 27865,216 , and this does -not- spoil the game in any way or provide any real advantage.

I don't like the slightly illogical keys though, I suspect it was meant for joystick operation...