What ZX Games Are You Most Proud of Completing Without Cheats?

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
zeusdaz
Drutt

What ZX Games Are You Most Proud of Completing Without Cheats?

Post by zeusdaz »

Nice little thread on the Forum right now asking what game/s would you like to complete without cheats, so I decided to create a thread asking the opposite, what ZX games are you most proud of completing without cheats/pokes?
No more than 10 as there are tons of very short easy ZX games that can easily be completed, mine are:

Dynamite Dan II (video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnBmDAw1sBc)
Manic Miner "no life lost run" (video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlyvYNBRIPw)
Impossaball (video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDK2bkjZtrI)
The Trap Door "Super Berk" (video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKXNbagdrJg)
Arkanoid II "128k Version" (video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqQMIQZL2h8)
Pogo (video not uploaded yet)
Xenon "no life lost run" (video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PH-EJAYcqJo).
Bruce Lee "Current World Record Speedrun" (video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acmWRClWZY8)
The Young Ones (video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oc81cy-2ukg)
Nebulus "no life lost run" (video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_OcZ25yWMk)
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Re: What ZX Games Are You Most Proud of Completing Without Cheats?

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

There are many, but Pyjamarama for me.

Back in the day, I was helped by a school mate who had finished it. He just game me some tips bit by bit (for example, 'fill the bucket with water and put it in the plats room' etc) so in a few days I could complete it.
RWAC
Manic Miner

Post by RWAC »

Rainbow Islands
Rick Dangerous 2
Impossamole
Midnight Resistance
Sceptre of Baghdad
Wanted: Monty Mole
Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles

Out of those, probably Rainbow Islands. I only managed it once and nowadays I'm lucky if I can make it past the 5th Island.
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

Manic Miner, almost 15 years ago.
250,000 points, I went through the whole game twice and after that I gave up due to fatigue and lack of concentration.
It requires a lot of practice and good reflexes, I literally knew the pixel precisely, when to jump in Power Plant and other tricky levels.
The second is Dan Dare, over 27,000 points, without visiting Mekon and releasing a new wave of Treens.
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

Manic Miner

Recent achievement.. I really thought it'd be forever out of my reach just because of the Solar Power Generator. Though it doesn't take long after completing it to get rusty.

Target: Renegade

A lot of people say they don't have much trouble with this game, and I personally find it much easier than Renegade. But when we played it in the HSC people seemed to be struggling with it a bit.

I used to be able to comfortably clock it over and over. I sent my high score into the Crash 'Hall of Slime' as the TR high scores I'd seen seemed very low. I was a bit miffed when they didn't print it.

They did suggest that you send photo evidence but my score was in the millions and the score counter wraps round to 0 after 999,999 so I didn't.
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
blucey
Manic Miner

Post by blucey »

I didn't beat anything too taxing. Maybe the hardest thing was Megabucks or something like that.

I have a memory of beating Sonic Boom which was only difficult because of eye-strain-o-vision.

I did do a loop of Ranarama which seemed quite hard at the time.
RWAC wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:00 am
Sceptre of Baghdad
Bloody hell! That was hard with cheats.

You've got Midnight Resistance on your list. I used to be able to beat that one regularly but these days I really struggle with it!
clebin
Manic Miner

Post by clebin »

These are from the past few years since joining SC so I've said all this before, sorry... To be honest, I didn't complete many games back in the day but I've become a better gamer with age. I used to be too hot-head playing games as a kid whereas I'm a lot more patient and methodical now. Not wanting to break your joystick every time you lose a life is a useful skill!

Manic Miner -The Warehouse and Solar Power Generator were always the killers for me.
Atic Atic - It's not that hard, but as a kid I spent years looking for the 3rd part of the ACG key as I mistook the last bit for a big tankard.

Kosmic Kanga - an eternally misunderstood work of genius. Contrary to popular belief, there is no "effing" in the title... I found the rolling demo of each level fascinating as a kid as the graphics are so neat. This was one where my first completion was also a perfect run, so it couldn't have been more satisfying.

Jet Set Willy - this is the one I'm most proud of. It's my favourite game from childhood and very close to my heart. I made a follow-up thread to the Manic Miner finishers thread, but it turned out to be a bit of a clunker... Whereas lots of people have MM on their bucket list it seems people aren't so bothered about finishing JSW. Maybe it's because you can see all the rooms without collecting the items, or maybe it's just too unthinkable... my initial goal was only to collect every item but over multiple games.

Anyway, I'm still trying for a perfect run, but there's so many hazards that will trip you up 1 time of out 100. Statistically, if I (monkey) play JSW long enough (use typewriter) I should mange it (write complete works of Shakespeare). EDIT: or does there need to be an infinite number of me? Oh well.
RWAC
Manic Miner

Post by RWAC »

blucey wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:04 am You've got Midnight Resistance on your list. I used to be able to beat that one regularly but these days I really struggle with it!
I used to run through Midnight Resistance regularly too. The hardest part was the Level 3 boss. After that it was pretty much plain sailing, as long as you remember to shoot the fish in the waterfall on Level 4 for some extra lives.
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

180 by Mastertronic Added Dimension

Considering how appalling I am at darts in real life, this is wonderful. It's 99% certain that I'll get to the final in any game, even now. I've become better at it as I've aged. In about one in three games I will beat the finalist, I think I managed it on the Two Quid Tuesday stream last year.

Target; Renegade by Imagine

In hindsight, yes, very easy, and that's a common view on this forum, but not many people at my school managed it.

Feud by Bulldog

Took me ages, but there's a knack to it. I can complete it every time thanks to memorising the locations of four herbs - one spell makes me permanently immortal in almost any circumstances, the other's just a simple attack spell. (Helps to have at least two attack spells, as Leonoric does like to HEAL after getting an attack.)
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
spider
Dynamite Dan

Post by spider »

Manic Miner
Back To Skool
Skool Daze
KnightTyme
Three Weeks In Paradise
JSW (with the four bug fixes)
WhatHoSnorkers
Manic Miner

Post by WhatHoSnorkers »

Feud.
Where Time Stood Still (and not even with saving). Only got one bloke out.
Into Africa, as I'm the only person to have ever done it, seemingly.
Lords of Midnight as I spent so long trying...
Alchemist as well.
Oh! And Mercenary: Escape from Targ, back in the day.

More recently: Total Eclipse 1 and 2. But I looked at a map and read some hints.
I have a little YouTube channel of nonsense
https://www.youtube.com/c/JamesOGradyWhatHoSnorkers
SpeccyKev
Dizzy

Post by SpeccyKev »

Am I the only person who has never completed a Spectrum game in their life?
spider
Dynamite Dan

Post by spider »

SpeccyKev wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 7:36 pm Am I the only person who has never completed a Spectrum game in their life?
No I doubt it very much :D

If you enjoy what game you play, then that's the main thing. :D , I'm rubbish at quite a few games but I still play them because I enjoy!
Tan Coul
Dizzy

Post by Tan Coul »

Back in the day, 3D Deathchase; as an adult, Grand Prix Simulator 2 - still never managed that one a second time without save states.
Hank Scorpio
Manic Miner

Post by Hank Scorpio »

Skool Daze, Back 2 Skool and Travel With Trashman - The Hong Kong level used to get me, then one day I got past it and when on to complete it.
Starquack
Drutt

Post by Starquack »

Starquake, Ranarama,Pjarmamarama,Rockman
Vampyre
Manic Miner

Post by Vampyre »

TLL
Three Weeks In Paradise
Highway Encounter
Splitting Images/Split Personalities
Head over Heels
ZX Spectrum Reviews REST API: http://zxspectrumreviews.co.uk/
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

Cheats are for wimps :P Of all Spectrum games I managed to complete, the one I think I can be satisfied of the most is The Sentinel. I did it the old way, that is, by solving a number of levels, keeping note of the code for the next level and resuming play later. Every time I cared to advance as much as possible - usually about 35-40 levels per level solved - by absorbing every single tree and sentry I could find before taking care of the Sentinel itself. The whole process was recorded for the RZX Archive and has been split into seven videos, for a total of about 79 hours.
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

Just realised I forgot to mention Sam Fox's Strip Poker.
Starquack wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:47 pm Starquake
I've got near to completing this but could never quite get the last couple of components. Quite cool that the core is randomized.

That got me thinking, would using a map (e.g. from a magazine, rather than one you'd made yourself) count as a cheat?
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
Matt_B
Manic Miner

Post by Matt_B »

Lords of Midnight.

There are multiple ways to win, so here's a brief rundown.

Morkin takes the Ice Crown and...
  • Throws it into Lake Mirrow. (The canonical way the game is won if you read the Doomdark's Revenge story.)
  • Takes it to Farflame. (Who you meet on the way, so it's the easiest way to win by far.)
  • Takes it to Fawkrin. (Most useless character in the game, so he had to be good for something.)
  • Takes it to Lorgrim. (A bit of a long trip, but an uneventful one for the most part.)
Luxor captures the Citadel of Ushgarak...
  • With Morkin still alive. (Easiest, since you can take your entire army North this way.)
  • While defending the Citadel of Xajorkith. (The true military victory.)
I've also finished Doomdark's Revenge but that's far messier in comparison. The easiest way to defeat Shareth is to hide in a cave and wait for someone else to do it, and rescuing Morkin is similarly best left until nearly all the other characters have killed each other.
p13z
Manic Miner

Post by p13z »

Oriental Hero.
Just one of the games I completed BITD using obsessive repetition and determination.
Only in the internet era did I come to know that it is generally regarded as insanely hard / too fast / unplayable (and crap).
mausthekat
Drutt

Post by mausthekat »

Universal Hero
Tribble Trubble (I could loop that one indefinitely).

Those are the only two I can think of at the moment.

EDIT: Jack and the Beanstalk, Giant's Revenge, Ant Attack and Zombie Zombie.
Nick
Manic Miner

Post by Nick »

Manic Miner - a mere 30 odd years after first playing it. :)
Where Time Stood Still - only got one person home, it would have been two but Dirk got flattened by a falling rock on the last climb to the cave.
Highway Encounter
Pyjamarama
Everyone's A Wally
Three Weeks In Paradise
Wriggler
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

Just remembered that I completed a homebrew game without cheating. And what a game it is...

Aliens: Neoplasma

Absolutely my favourite homebrew game for the ZX Spectrum. Spent five hours playing it, and eventually sussed out how to finish it. It's like Saboteur, Dan Dare, Deviants, etc, but with a bit of a Rex-style aesthetic.
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
blucey
Manic Miner

Post by blucey »

mausthekat wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 5:48 am Universal Hero
I could finish the first third but after that the puzzles just break down and become a bit illogical. At one point I was literally trying to use every object in every location. Shame really as it's good initially.
p13z wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:54 am Oriental Hero.
Bloody hell!