The latest ZXDB update will be applied this evening at 1800 BST. The update takes around 30 minutes, and the site goes down whilst this happens.

ZX Spectrum sample pack released

On the creation of AY or Beeper music, including the packages used to do so.
uglifruit
Manic Miner

ZX Spectrum sample pack released

Post by uglifruit »

Just thought I'd put this here.

I was responsible for the (very comprehensive) recording/sampling of ZX Spectrums (plus Currah Micro Speech and Cheetah SpecDrum) behind this.

I think 8dio/Soundpaint are aiming to make something musically useful with the samples for 2022, rather than necessarily using them just to emulate the sound of a Speccy verbatim. (I mean, it's hardly the most musical of computers, and I'm saying that as a super fanboy!).

The (very long) demo video has me blathering on and falling over my words for the last half an hour or so, if you're interested in seeing some of the models I sampled.

I do hope some people make use of it, and make some interesting music! (I'm not on commission, it's just be nice to think people enjoy something I've been part of).

Happy to talk about the process of recording the samples/programming approaches I took here, if anyone is at all interested.
CLEAR 23855
Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Re: ZX Spectrum sample pack released

Post by Jbizzel »

Cool Andy. Nice bit of software at the end too.
Lee Bee
Dynamite Dan

Re: ZX Spectrum sample pack released

Post by Lee Bee »

An interesting project, and I loved your section of the video, Andy! :)

I find Soundpaint a little confusing though. Guess it's a sample library, which 8dio are known for, yet the website says it's "real-time rendered"? I wonder what that means in this context? Also, the website says "New instruments. Every week. Never on sale.", but everything has prices?