Level 9 games for Spectrum Next

The Speccy's spritely young offspring. Discuss everything from FPGA to ZX
Stefan123
Drutt

Level 9 games for Spectrum Next

Post by Stefan123 »

I'm happy to announce that a porting of the open source Level 9 interpreter is now available for the Spectrum Next. This interpreter supports all of Level 9's games (19 in total), uses the improved graphics from the Commodore Amiga and Atari ST versions of the games and provides saving/loading of the game state to/from an SD card.

To make it easier to enjoy, a compilation of all Level 9 games packaged appropriately for this interpreter has been provided. Note that the Level 9 games are copyright by Level 9 Computing. This compilation is not official and its curator is not affiliated with Level 9 Computing. The compilation is done in loving memory of Level 9 and their classic masterpieces and without any monetary gain involved.

I have an informal approval from Mike Austin (one of the Level 9 founders) for providing this game compilation for the Spectrum Next. Thanks Mike for making this possible! :)

Here is the project on GitHub with source code and everything:
https://github.com/stefanbylund/zxnext_level9

The Level 9 game compilation for Spectrum Next can be downloaded here:
https://github.com/stefanbylund/zxnext_ ... ompilation

Nitrowing
Manic Miner

Re: Level 9 games for Spectrum Next

Post by Nitrowing »

Screens look gorgeous :D
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

This is great. It has to be said that they do look like the Amiga versions though. However, excellent for Next owners. Great work.

Matt_B
Manic Miner

Post by Matt_B »

You can also use the Level 9 interpreter to display the graphics used in the Spectrum versions, albeit minus the colour clash.

Even for the Amiga versions, it's only the games released after Knight Orc (plus the games compiled for Time and Magik) that have digitized graphics.

Anyway, this is yet another reason why this forum needs a thumbs up button back. :D
hitm4n
Manic Miner

Post by hitm4n »

Great stuff. Love me some adventure games, and always keen to broaden the ZXNext game collection.
I don't have anything cool to put here, so i'll just be off now to see a priest with yeast stuck between his teeth and his friend called Keith who's a hairpiece thief...