Anyway to connect a Commodore disk drive to a +2A?

For experts to discuss very technical stuff and newbies to ask why the Spectrum they bought off ebay doesn't work.
Sparky
Manic Miner

Anyway to connect a Commodore disk drive to a +2A?

Post by Sparky »

Hi everyone. I was recently given a 1541 Commodore disk drive. I don't currently have a Commodore machine and was wondering Id there is a way to use it on the Speccy?
It's not a necessary thing, It would be nice to see it work.
Thanks!
Alex
cj7hawk
Manic Miner

Re: Anyway to connect a Commodore disk drive to a +2A?

Post by cj7hawk »

Absolutely. There's always a way... Though that particular combination... Is not a good choice.

The effort to connect it would be significant. You'd be better off replacing the internals with a normal 5.25" drive and electronics and then connecting that to a +2A FDD adapter.

Making it work natively with a +2A? Would be harder than making a FDD adapter for a 48K model from scratch.

David
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Nice to see you back @Sparky!

Personally I would sell it on eBay and put it towards a +3 and a Gotek.
Sparky
Manic Miner

Post by Sparky »

PeterJ wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:29 pm Nice to see you back @Sparky!

Personally I would sell it on eBay and put it towards a +3 and a Gotek.
Thanks Peter. I really missed the forum!
Selling it on ebay is probably the best thing to do. I know it works because my friend that gave it to me tested it in front of me, he has 4 more of them and 1 C64. If the C64 had a better built in BASIC, I would probably buy one, but it's a big turn off for me trying to type cryptic words just to load a program.
Alex
AndyC
Dynamite Dan

Post by AndyC »

Yeah, the C64 disk drive is essentially a whole computer all of it's own, it runs it's own software and transfers data across a serial cable using some janky slow protocol.

A +3 and a drive emulator is probably the way to go if you wanted disk based Speccy fun. I'm not sure +2A compatible disk adapters ever actually made it to market, despite being mentioned
cj7hawk
Manic Miner

Post by cj7hawk »

The adapters used to cost around GBP20 I think from memory... I got one because they seemed cheap, before I realized the +2 I ordered was a gray, but now have a black model coming.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

I found this, but no supplier links @Sparky:

https://github.com/konkotgit/PLUS-2A-FDD
Sparky
Manic Miner

Post by Sparky »

That is very interesting Peter. However, it looks like the C 1541 isn't a normal disk drive as far as the serial port is concerned.
Alex
Sparky
Manic Miner

Post by Sparky »

cj7hawk wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 4:48 pm The adapters used to cost around GBP20 I think from memory... I got one because they seemed cheap, before I realized the +2 I ordered was a gray, but now have a black model coming.
Do you remember where you got it from?
Alex
merman
Microbot

Post by merman »

Sparky wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:27 pm That is very interesting Peter. However, it looks like the C 1541 isn't a normal disk drive as far as the serial port is concerned.
Commodore had its own IEC "serial" cable, designed to work across machines. However it is not compatible with other things without adapters. (A good example - I just picked up the Zoom Floppy from Retro Innovations, connects a C64 serial drive to USB.)

One reason for it - the PET started out with IEEE-48 cables, but a shortage meant Commodore could not connect drives to computers. Jack Tramiel ordered his engineers to come up with their own version. And it was slow on the C64, which is why you need a fastloader/cartridge.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Sparky wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:27 pm That is very interesting Peter. However, it looks like the C 1541 isn't a normal disk drive as far as the serial port is concerned.
Sorry, I didn't explain. Was meaning a disk interface for your +2, so potentially you could use a Gotek.
cj7hawk
Manic Miner

Post by cj7hawk »

Sparky wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:29 pm
cj7hawk wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 4:48 pm The adapters used to cost around GBP20 I think from memory... I got one because they seemed cheap, before I realized the +2 I ordered was a gray, but now have a black model coming.
Do you remember where you got it from?
Ebay. I got it from Ebay... From Russia. That place that used to be a part of the world up until recently.

One of these: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzCRoPSseJA

It would be relatively easy to build one by hand. Just wire the chips up according to the +3 schematics.

David
cj7hawk
Manic Miner

Post by cj7hawk »

Will add, I haven't tried it out yet...

David
Spectrumuser
Drutt

Post by Spectrumuser »

Hi,

I have an interface for a Speccy 48K to connect a VC 1541 disk drive, works but is slow. I have no idea what needs to be modified to connect it to a +2A.

Also this could be interesting:

https://github.com/DL2DW/ZX1541-Interface

This (German language): https://forum.tlienhard.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=3218

or this: https://8bit.yarek.pl/interface/zx81.zx ... ex-de.html

Happy hacking

Stephan
cj7hawk
Manic Miner

Post by cj7hawk »

OK, Impressive. :)
Sparky
Manic Miner

Post by Sparky »

The 1541 is a dinosaur as far as Disk drives are concerned. If it were any better, I might have just bought a 64, hell, even with its stone age BASIC :lol:
Alex
merman
Microbot

Post by merman »

Sparky wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 4:41 am The 1541 is a dinosaur as far as Disk drives are concerned. If it were any better, I might have just bought a 64, hell, even with its stone age BASIC :lol:
The 1541 has its own processor and can run programs/commands independent of the computer. It’s the interface/cable that is slow and old-fashioned.
Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Post by Jbizzel »

I have an adaptor I bought years ago, and a black +2e

You can use it with a disk drive or a gotek. Then it becomes a +3e

I always wanted to remove the tape deck and fit the adaptor and gotek in the space.

It would require soldering to the edge connection and some butchery - so I've never done it

I should add I made an adaptor for the gotek so it works for the spectrum/CPC requirements