Across the formats - Lets play "Commando"

Anything relating to non Sinclair computers from the 1980's, 90's or even before.
spider
Dynamite Dan

Across the formats - Lets play "Commando"

Post by spider »

A small series of topics covering some of our games on other 8bit platforms.

Some background info split into three sections, Spoilered as its identical in each topic to save the same questions being asked, perhaps please read have a skim read once.

Preamble
Spoiler
None of this is in any way attempting to downgrade these games on other platforms, someone will love them elsewhere regardless of which we are all here for our retro computing experiences because we enjoy it. I sometimes enjoy titles (which are not tested here) on other platforms too!
This was initially planned to be about 10 "of the well known" but the list started to grow to 20 then 30... I had to be sensible so it is now only 21 games, otherwise it could of grown to about 100 or more.

I'm aware there are some perhaps 'better' candidates for this and also that some of the games I played do actually exist on platforms I have not tested. The reason for this is as I worked with what I "had to hand" already plus what I could find easily and actually loaded without too much difficulty.

For example I did have a couple more Oric Atmos games and some more MSX versions too, however as I was unable to get them to load I had to discount them which was a bit of a shame unfortunately but I did not want to waste too much time hunting more versions down. In general, if the version I had to hand did not work and one or two attempts (say a tape and a disc version) obtained from elsewhere did not function despite adjusting emulation machine type settings etc then I ignored that game on that machine.

Its not really a group review as such, perhaps in some ways it could be considered 'mini comments' about each game as I saw them, errors and omissions excepted! I'm also purposely not covering our versions of these games here. I do point out some differences between versions where I noticed them but this is merely for reference such as playing speed and controls etc.

Emulation stuff
Spoiler
The chosen machines being emulated along with their respective emulators I used for this are:

Amstrad CPC464 and CPC6128 via the CPCE95 and WinApe emulators

BBC Micro Model B and Master 128 via the B-Em and BeebEm emulators

Commodore Plus4 and C64 via the Hoxs and Vice emulators

MSX and MSX2 via the BlueMSX emulator

Oric Atmos via the Oricutron emulator
Testing method
Spoiler
How I did this:

I did not run one emulator then each game in turn and play, as I'd likely forget anything specific about it between each variant! Instead I did it the harder way. One game tested on each platform in turn, taking a few screenshots and making very brief notes as I played. No real attempt was made to play them too hard or for too long, merely enough to get a feel for them in their different environment and how they were. Had I played with one emulator and each game, I may of lost thoughts about some of them when it came to using a different emulator for the next round, so although it was a lot more work I think it was worth it.

The comments on each version are not always in alphabetical order in each topic, this is by machine playing order rather than design as I used one text file per game for all machines and it does not reflect any form of rating, that being because a machine is first or last in the topic does not make its version of the game any better or worse.
Closing comments
Spoiler
Its fair to say it took me ages and ages to do this over a couple of weeks as I had available free time, inclination and energy but it is something I had planned on doing quite a few months ago.

If you get half as much enjoyment from viewing the screenshots and reading my short comments on how I found each variant to be and perhaps posting a reply or two I'm happy.

Please enjoy! :)

:)

CBM64

Emulator: Vice64

The game does not have a loading screen however the title screen rotates between several backgrounds but the graphics are relatively low resolution on these screens.

During the title screen and gameplay there is a continuos tune with suitable sound effects where appropriate.

The controls are quite responsive and the game plays at a good speed too.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

BBC

Emulator: BeebEm

The game starts with a four colour loading screen of low resolution. After that the game title displays with the option of a one or two player game.

There is no ingame music and just the regular sound effects. The graphics are relatively pixelated but the display mode restricts this to four colours. The controls are reasonably responsive but perhaps not as much as other versions. The game speed is also a little bit slower too.

ImageImageImageImage

AMSTRAD CPC

Emulator: CPCE95

The game starts with a nice loading screen and follows on with a different but not unpleasant title screen tune via the AY sound chip. The title screen shows highscores and allows control selection as well as a redefine keys option.

The ingame graphics are relatively low resolution but good use is made of colour. The gameplay is quite fast in general and the controls are quick to respond too.

ImageImageImageImage
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Re: Across the formats - Lets play "Commando"

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

The BBC version hurts my eyes! :shock:
XTM
Manic Miner

Post by XTM »

Shouldn't the Speccy version hurt your eyes too, there's plenty of that bright yellow there ... but then, it's our acquired taste.

I saw a video recently of some bloke who grew up with a breadbox. He played the Speccy version and really layed into it. Well, he layed into ALL the Speccy games he played ... Breadbox users will quickly point out how the game is crap without that Rob Hubbard tune, but they'll conviently always forget how their version only got 3 levels (or they'll just point you to the remake from a few years ago which finally fixed this after such a long time).
spider
Dynamite Dan

Post by spider »

Late addition!

I had the CBM Plus4 version all along. Sorry. I don't tend to count 'additional' to an existing topic as 'new' otherwise I'd of refrained from adding it today.

Emulator: VicePlus4

There was no loading screen on the tape version I tested and once the title screen appeared it was accompanied by a nice but loud tune.

Ignoring the keyboard/joystick for a few moments toggles the high-score table and a brief preview of the first level.

Upon starting a game the tune continues, there were very few or very quiet sound effects. The game plays at quite a fast pace and the controls are responsive in the four primary directions but less so in diagonal movement ie: up and left but I put this down to an emulation concern.

The graphics are relatively nice for the resolution used and there has been good use of colour made for the machine itself.

At game over, there is first a chance of a continue option. This restarts the level you are on if you choose it.

At the real game over, you can enter your initials or name via left/right/fire on a simple but very effective screen.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

Quite an interesting comparison, keep them coming :)

Did you know there is a 128K-only Commando hack floating around the Web with Rob Hubbard's C64 background music converted for the AY?
spider
Dynamite Dan

Post by spider »

Alessandro wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 4:40 pm Quite an interesting comparison, keep them coming :)
Thank you for your kind comment, I appreciate it. :) :)
Alessandro wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 4:40 pm Did you know there is a 128K-only Commando hack floating around the Web with Rob Hubbard's C64 background music converted for the AY?
Yes but I'm trying to avoid what (as far as I could tell) were later addons such as 'home made' AY music, unless i've missed it and there was a real release of it like that.
spider
Dynamite Dan

Post by spider »

Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 2:26 pm The BBC version hurts my eyes! :shock:
It is a bit bright perhaps yes.

Can always turn the brightness down on your monitor I guess. :D

"BRIGHT +2" (not that 'bright' exists really for this)

I was half surprised a version existed for this machine somehow but they do have quite a reasonable selection of "our" games you may not expect to see such as Green Beret / Uridium / Daley Thompsons etc etc , sometimes released by a different software house for instance most of the JSW games are released by TyneSoft (only had a few Speccy titles) rather than Software Projects.