Across the formats - Lets play "Chuckie Egg"

Anything relating to non Sinclair computers from the 1980's, 90's or even before.
spider
Dynamite Dan

Across the formats - Lets play "Chuckie Egg"

Post by spider »

A small series of topics covering some of our games on other 8bit platforms.

Some background info split into three sections, Spoilered as its identical in each topic to save the same questions being asked, perhaps please read have a skim read once.

Preamble
Spoiler
None of this is in any way attempting to downgrade these games on other platforms, someone will love them elsewhere regardless of which we are all here for our retro computing experiences because we enjoy it. I sometimes enjoy titles (which are not tested here) on other platforms too!
This was initially planned to be about 10 "of the well known" but the list started to grow to 20 then 30... I had to be sensible so it is now only 21 games, otherwise it could of grown to about 100 or more.

I'm aware there are some perhaps 'better' candidates for this and also that some of the games I played do actually exist on platforms I have not tested. The reason for this is as I worked with what I "had to hand" already plus what I could find easily and actually loaded without too much difficulty.

For example I did have a couple more Oric Atmos games and some more MSX versions too, however as I was unable to get them to load I had to discount them which was a bit of a shame unfortunately but I did not want to waste too much time hunting more versions down. In general, if the version I had to hand did not work and one or two attempts (say a tape and a disc version) obtained from elsewhere did not function despite adjusting emulation machine type settings etc then I ignored that game on that machine.

Its not really a group review as such, perhaps in some ways it could be considered 'mini comments' about each game as I saw them, errors and omissions excepted! I'm also purposely not covering our versions of these games here. I do point out some differences between versions where I noticed them but this is merely for reference such as playing speed and controls etc.

Emulation stuff
Spoiler
The chosen machines being emulated along with their respective emulators I used for this are:

Amstrad CPC464 and CPC6128 via the CPCE95 and WinApe emulators

BBC Micro Model B and Master 128 via the B-Em and BeebEm emulators

Commodore Plus4 and C64 via the Hoxs and Vice emulators

MSX and MSX2 via the BlueMSX emulator

Oric Atmos via the Oricutron emulator
Testing method
Spoiler
How I did this:

I did not run one emulator then each game in turn and play, as I'd likely forget anything specific about it between each variant! Instead I did it the harder way. One game tested on each platform in turn, taking a few screenshots and making very brief notes as I played. No real attempt was made to play them too hard or for too long, merely enough to get a feel for them in their different environment and how they were. Had I played with one emulator and each game, I may of lost thoughts about some of them when it came to using a different emulator for the next round, so although it was a lot more work I think it was worth it.

The comments on each version are not always in alphabetical order in each topic, this is by machine playing order rather than design as I used one text file per game for all machines and it does not reflect any form of rating, that being because a machine is first or last in the topic does not make its version of the game any better or worse.
Closing comments
Spoiler
Its fair to say it took me ages and ages to do this over a couple of weeks as I had available free time, inclination and energy but it is something I had planned on doing quite a few months ago.

If you get half as much enjoyment from viewing the screenshots and reading my short comments on how I found each variant to be and perhaps posting a reply or two I'm happy.

Please enjoy! :)

CHUCKIE EGG

BBC

Emulator: BeebEm

This is the original as-released version rather than one of the third party updated (with more colours) variants. It features a basic "A&F Presents" loading screen.

The levels are again identical or almost to the ZX version.

The sound is slightly high pitched for the footsteps effect but the rest of the effects are quite nice in general.

The game speed is about equal to the ZX version and plays nicely enough.

ImageImageImageImageImage

CBM64

Emulator : ViceC64

No loading screen as such, the title screen looks quite similar to the ZX version, including the scrolly message.

There's a skill level screen effecting speed. The most difficult skill level runs at about two or three times the ZX version. Its entertaining but difficult at that.

The levels are identical to the ZX version in layout and the lifts are quite easy to jump onto and off.

The graphics are quite reasonable with colour choices and the sound is pleasant including the walking footsteps effect, although the colours do seem darker shades rather than bright pleasant colours.

AMSTRAD CPC

Emulator : CPCE95

The game levels are identical to the other versions, and the use of colour is relatively well made.

There's precious little in the way of sound effects apart from egg/grain collection and collision.As with other versions there is an option to redefine the keys.

The game plays quite well and the speed is about the same as the ZX version possibly just a fraction faster. The lifts are again relatively easy to jump on/off too.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
spider
Dynamite Dan

Re: Across the formats - Lets play "Chuckie Egg"

Post by spider »

Late addition! I did have this all along but forgot about it, sorry.

Dragon 32/64

Emulator: xRoar

There was no loading screen on the version I tested and once loading the familiar (but different colours) title screen appeared along with the title screen tune, similar to the ZX version.

As per that variant, there is the offer of redefining the keys and then its onto the game itself once you've selected how many players. Interestingly or not on the instructions and also the redefine keys page, the regular ZX font appears to be used with a note about some key combinations will not be accepted due to the hardware. I had no issues in choosing QAOPM for Left/Right/Up/Down/Jump respectively. The second set I tried of ZXOKP was not accepted possibly due to Z and X or O and K.

When the game starts, the level scrolls in vertically from the bottom of the screen upwards. The colours are shall we say are erm "bright" but likely due to the hardware involved but although the sprites are relatively low resolution, good use of colour have been made for them.

The player sprite does occasionally flicker when standing still but this could be an emulator issue. The hens move quite slowly but comparable to say the BBC version. The platform lifts I found a little bit tricky to jump onto.

There are the basic sound effects as per other versions although some of them sound slightly higher pitched. The controls respond quite quickly to player input. The game speed is quite similar to the ZX version perhaps a little bit slower but it sort of 'feels' like Chuckie Egg should be somehow rather than a rushed conversion as such.

Once a level is completed, as when starting a new game the new one scrolls in vertically. This is quite a neat effect.

stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Post by stupidget »

Good to see some love for the Dragon version. There were actually some great games on that machine and it had one of the best Donkey Kong conversions in the excellent Donkey King ( which they eventually renamed as The King, for obvious reasons)
spider
Dynamite Dan

Post by spider »

stupidget wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:23 am Good to see some love for the Dragon version. There were actually some great games on that machine and it had one of the best Donkey Kong conversions in the excellent Donkey King ( which they eventually renamed as The King, for obvious reasons)
Yes understandable. :)

I refrained from posting a 'new' one today as I sort of count this addition as 'new'

There are some good Dragon games despite the (imo) slightly odd hardware , similar to the Oric Atmos really quite a few good 'uns for that too.
hitm4n
Manic Miner

Post by hitm4n »

Donkey King, Pedro, Painter, 3D Pool and an adventure called "Jerusalem" were the goto Dragon32 games in our house. Bloody long load times from tape, worse than the Speccy. Chuckie Egg on Speccy is my fave of all versions.
I don't have anything cool to put here, so i'll just be off now to see a priest with yeast stuck between his teeth and his friend called Keith who's a hairpiece thief...
clebin
Manic Miner

Post by clebin »

spider wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:52 am Late addition! I did have this all along but forgot about it, sorry.

Dragon 32/64
The Atari 8-bit version is also worth a mention if only for its isometric style platforms similar to Bounty Bob Strikes Back. I wonder if this was the inspiration for the weird 16-bit versions of Chuckie Egg? At least Henhouse Harry isn't an egg.

The isometric style doesn't completely ruin it but unfortunately the speed does, especially going up and down ladders. The Atari version doesn't have any of the adrenaline fuelled high jinks that I love about Chuckie Egg. It's quite dull to play and the colour scheme would make C64 owners browny-green with envy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQHGcUVlqzA
spider
Dynamite Dan

Post by spider »

Denied (here at least) now which is a bit of a shock.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Not sure why that has happened @spider. One of us will take a look.
spider
Dynamite Dan

Post by spider »

PeterJ wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 7:11 pm Not sure why that has happened @spider. One of us will take a look.
Thanks.

I was not complaining :D , more a "random" comment as I wanted to see something screenshot-wise in this topic so thought I'd post about it. Sorry. :)
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

@spider,

This was removed during 2019 at the request of Steve Wilcox.

This is part of the email I received. You will understand that I'm not going to comment further.
Elite Systems Ltd, its associates and assigns, own or are exclusive licensee for many computer software programs including but not limited to those known as Chuckie Egg®, Jet Set Willy® and Manic Miner® together with their associated imagery (“the Artwork”), which qualify for protection as original artistic works under section 3(1)(b) and section 4(1)(a) respectively of the Copyright Designs and Patents Act 1988, (the “CPDA”).