Field Programmable Gate Array based devices! As exciting as they sound
azesmbog
Manic Miner

Re: SAM-Coupe new core

Post by azesmbog »

I have the most standard ZX Uno (512kB)
But I also have ZX DOS+ (2Mb)
For myself, I make core under ZX DOS +
If you look at the SamCoupe sources from Sorgelig under both MiST and MiSTer, you can see that the joysticks are inserted into the ASIC module and their port is standard
wire kjoy_sel = (cpuaddr[7:0] == 'h1F);
AndyC wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:06 pm Aren't MD pads slightly off the Atari standard, in order that they could support extra buttons? Are you sure they're SAM compatible?
The good thing about devboards is that if you want, you can use any joysticks, even from NES \ SNES ,
for example MD supports 12 bits as far as I remember.
The scheme does the rest :)
Last edited by azesmbog on Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
8BitAG
Dynamite Dan

Post by 8BitAG »

The SAM joystick port was a bit of a nightmare anyway, iirc, especially if you wanted to get connect two sticks! :) https://www.worldofsam.org/products/key ... stick-port
8-bit Text Adventure Gamer - games - research.
azesmbog
Manic Miner

Post by azesmbog »

zxmicrojack wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:47 pm So please let me know which ZXUno you have, and help me debug the issue.

As ever, I stand ready to help.
By the way, I replaced the processor module with T80s and replaced the SAA1099 module with my SAA1099s.
To my untrained ear, it still sounds nicer. But I'm still not sure if I deployed the SV code correctly
zxmicrojack
Drutt

Post by zxmicrojack »

Unfortunately It sounded horrible with your test program @azesmbog so, that is what I was using to test. I'll try not using it. The T80s is on the list of things to do, so please hold on - I'm doing a lot with clocks and timing at the moment. Development on the SAM core is ongoing....

Did the malfunctioning joystick go wrong on the ZXDOS+ or the ZXUNO, or on both?
azesmbog
Manic Miner

Post by azesmbog »

It's not even the joystick itself, but the core design.
On ZX-DOS+, this design is not suitable. Even with the joystick turned off, the number "0" is still printed. Perhaps due to the hardware implementation of MD joy.
But the same design works well on AEON (joystick from NES) - when you press the joystick buttons, the numbers 6,7,8,9,0 are clearly printed. I fully admit that it will also work correctly on the ZX-Uno, but I have not yet rechecked it.
Therefore, we will consider this an unpleasant feature of ZX DOS and will not return to this issue - on ZX DOS + this core is of no interest to anyone except me, and no one has these devboards either. Forgot.
The question is now about another core - mjspec.
If it doesn’t bother you again, then you need at least two more files - hyperloader.hex and CtrlROM_ROM.vhd
Thank you.
zxmicrojack
Drutt

Post by zxmicrojack »

SAM-Coupe release 4 - https://github.com/ZXMicroJack/sam-coup ... -zxuno.zip
- Drive activity LED on ZXUNO board
- 2nd joystick on splitter (F1 to enable)
- 2nd disk drive - POKE DVAR 2, 208 to enable
- Fixes to FAT32.

This will be the last for a bit - I'm diverting to work on the AmstradCPC core.

Big shoutout to @Pegaz who was tireless in his testing of almost endless different versions, and when I lost my way, helped me back on track, never showing a gram of impatience. Great work comes from great teamwork.