Next not coming until June 2023

The Speccy's spritely young offspring. Discuss everything from FPGA to ZX
PeterJ
Site Admin

Next not coming until June 2023

Post by PeterJ »

I got another update this evening:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sp ... ts/3408549
Currently, with the full lead time of the Artix-7, our ship date is around June 2023. With every week we can accelerate the delivery from Xilinx, the date moves earlier by the same amount of time. As such, in upcoming updates we’ll inform backers of any movement to the lead time by Xilinx, and adjust the shipping date accordingly. Fingers crossed we can cut the lead time significantly, we continue to poke the folks at Xilinx in the hope we get positive news.

We don’t make light of this delay on the original shipping date. We know that for many of the backers, this is a big letdown, and I personally (Henrique) want to apologise to you for having placed the project in this situation. We are caught in a perfect storm of a pandemic, increased electronics demand, water shortages in Taiwan (which caused rationing at chip plants) and something quite specific to Xilinx’s FPGA lines we’re not quite sure what it is (read more in our previous update). Together these have created an unforeseen outcome that got us by surprise, pretty hard.
Nitrowing
Manic Miner

Re: Next not coming until June 2023

Post by Nitrowing »

They should have been on track for model number 3 for June '23 :?
I'd love to say they're victims of their own success but...
smurphboy
Manic Miner

Post by smurphboy »

As a Next owner and a KS2 backer, this is sad news but I appreciate the honesty in explaining how we got here and the plan going forward. I'm lucky in that I have a Next to enjoy while I wait, but June 2023 is a LONG way away and I feel for the other KS2 backers.

I still think there is a real risk of splitting the user base as the temptation will be to exploit the new chipset... but we can only take them at their word.

Long live the Next!
Sokurah
Manic Miner

Post by Sokurah »

Nitrowing wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 10:25 pm I'd love to say they're victims of their own success but...
Well, if you do, then I don't think you know the definition of "being the victim of ones own success".
It's not their fault it's being delayed, it's caused by problems that affects many businesses all over the world.
Website: Tardis Remakes / Mostly remakes of Arcade and ZX Spectrum games.
My games for the Spectrum: Dingo, The Speccies, The Speccies 2, Vallation & Sqij.
Twitter: Sokurah
toot_toot
Manic Miner

Post by toot_toot »

Sokurah wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 10:51 pm
Nitrowing wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 10:25 pm I'd love to say they're victims of their own success but...
Well, if you do, then I don't think you know the definition of "being the victim of ones own success".
It's not their fault it's being delayed, it's caused by problems that affects many businesses all over the world.
But it is their own fault. Instead of making the second Kickstarter a quick turnaround of the original Next hardware, which was what was originally promised, they started to tinker with it and make “improvements”, adding in things like 2MB of memory as a stretch goal.
During the campaign we unlocked some hardware stretch goals, such as 2MB RAM and the power switch. While the 2MB memory boost is no trouble -- just more chips of the same we used before -- the switch is new territory for us.
Except as a backer of the first kickstarter, I remember the problems they ran into sourcing the memory chips because they had to be very specific timing and IIRC were already limited to one supplier.

That was the “2C” board, then they added in even more hardware features with their update in Feb 2021, remember this was supposed to be shipping by August 2021. The Xilinx FPGA they’d chosen for the Next was already in the process of not being manufactured when the original Next was eventually released.

So when it’s being said “it’s not their fault”, sure, they weren’t responsible for the shortages of the chips, but they have to take responsibility for not learning from the mistakes of the original Next kickstarter. The Next is a piece of hardware, not software, any changes made means changes to physical design, manufacturing and testing. But they continued tinkering around with the hardware and got caught in a situation where it’s now 65 weeks for chips to be delivered.
As a reminder, all parts and accessories for the ZX Spectrum Next have been ordered and most are already in our possession. The only bits missing are the large volume parts: plastic case injection, manual and boxes – none of these affected by the pandemic or disruption to supply, thus they will be produced in parallel to the assembly of the computers prior to shipping.
This is from a Kickstarter that raised £1.8m in funds, it’s not as if they’re having to raise capital to buy the components. So why weren’t those items bought at the start? Why is it that 18 months after it was supposed to be launched that they still haven’t bought them? I think it’s down to the team thinking there’s still going to be hardware changes and they want to wait until the last minute to lock down those parts.

It’s like they didn’t learn at all from the first Kickstarter. Maybe backers were too kind, personally I think there were too many messages of “it will be ready when its ready” from backers and now it’s Summer 2023 before the second revision finally ends up in the backers hands. But I’d be genuinely concerned that it’s ever going to end up in the backers hands at this point.
redballoon
Manic Miner

Post by redballoon »

I’d lock this thread now. It’s going to go exactly the same way as every other by the looks of it.
PQR
Manic Miner

Post by PQR »

I don’t mind the extra delay. It's annoying for sure but in light of all the other things in the world I don’t blame the Next team for anything.

The first KS also took way more time than antipicated but eventually they delivered. That is all that matters to me.
Vampyre
Manic Miner

Post by Vampyre »

Same here - a little annoying to wait another year but, and I know this doesn't go for everyone, I'm not desperate to get my hands on it.
ZX Spectrum Reviews REST API: http://zxspectrumreviews.co.uk/
MtM
Dizzy

Post by MtM »

redballoon wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:40 am I’d lock this thread now. It’s going to go exactly the same way as every other by the looks of it.
Hmm. I don't know about that just yet. I have a Next from the first time around and backed the 2nd one.
Perhaps people can refrain from turning it too nasty or personal, these forums seem a bit more adult
than many.

It is a fair point that toot makes in that now we are looking at nearly 2 years over due unless something
good happens with the speed of the delivery of the xilinx parts. That may be possible but seems unlikely.
If anything, possible other smaller delays may take place.

In fairness to the Next team though, none of whom I know of really, but I am not aware of them being hardware
makers by trade or profession, so there is perhaps some scope to cut them some slack over how it has worked out, they seem
to be genuine people who love the project and are sincere and are trying hard to get it done.

One thing that does strike me though is that I think a few backers of the original died before they got their
orders, and that would be a sad thing to happen again.

Maybe if there is a third run, and I hope there is, things will be easier and better then all around. In fact having
Next's permanently on sale would be great I think, if maybe a bit unrealistic ;-)
stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Post by stupidget »

Their honesty makes a refreshing change and like others have said, there's not a lot anyone can do about the delays. I'm still looking forward to getting mine even if I have to wait another 14 months. I dread to think what the response would be if this was a piece of kit aimed at the snowflake generation :o :o . Having seen the response to the GT7 servers being down for 26hrs certain people seem far less accepting these days of things that our out of their control.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

I agree with the comments. At least they are keeping us posted, and no-one could have predicted the chip shortages.

Obviously I hope to be around for many years to come, but I must add it to my will. Just in case I'm not around when they deliver.
MonkZy
Manic Miner

Post by MonkZy »

PeterJ wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:13 am Just in case I'm not around when they deliver.

Jokes aside, I am a bit disappointed with this announcement but I do remain optimistic that I will one day receive the Next. It would seem that FPGA's are used in many products from car vision systems to photo copiers. I guess a small operation will always have a hard time procuring these chips. At least we have a delivery date from the manufacturer.

I really must spend some time setting up a next emulator.
funkheld
Dizzy

Post by funkheld »

I have 3 N-GO.
buy yourself an N-GO

greeting
dfzx
Manic Miner

Post by dfzx »

I don't blame the Next team, or bear them any resentment, but I can't help thinking the delay will kill the project. There aren't enough machines out there at the moment, and there aren't going to be any more for another 15 months, and that's assuming it doesn't slip again. By then the project will have zero momentum and zero novelty. I hope I'm wrong.
Derek Fountain, author of the ZX Spectrum C Programmer's Getting Started Guide and various open source games, hardware and other projects, including an IF1 and ZX Microdrive emulator.
Alcoholics Anonymous
Microbot

Post by Alcoholics Anonymous »

toot_toot wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:37 am But it is their own fault. Instead of making the second Kickstarter a quick turnaround of the original Next hardware, which was what was originally promised, they started to tinker with it and make “improvements”, adding in things like 2MB of memory as a stretch goal.
Well no -- it is clearly stated in the KS2 campaign text that the pcb would be improved. This was actually a necessary step because after Brexit, there would be border controls in place and lacking a certified CE mark may have meant we could not export into the EU from the UK. We did not think the KS1 board would pass and from the testing we did during KS2, it's clear it likely wouldn't have because one of the major causes of emissions is the ribbon cable connecting the main board to the daughterboard. The noisiness of the KS1 board in general was also a good indicator there might be problems.

So we knew the pcb would have to be redone and we took the opportunity to correct the deficiencies we found in the first board. Even without the CE issue, I would have been pushing hard for this because it would have been a huge missed opportunity to correct the issues we knew about. Around 20 of them were identified from minor to user-noticeable.
Except as a backer of the first kickstarter, I remember the problems they ran into sourcing the memory chips because they had to be very specific timing and IIRC were already limited to one supplier.
The problems (it turned out) were in the memory interface implementation and synthesis. At the time, specific brands of sram chips were working whereas others were not. That issue was discovered when the KS1 board-only was coming off the assembly line and were found not to work properly. Or maybe it was when people tried to upgrade to 2MB with additional chips that the issue was discovered -- I can't quite recall. These chips are commodities in that they are intended to be interchangeable. There is no longer any problem with using equivalent parts in all boards.
That was the “2C” board, then they added in even more hardware features with their update in Feb 2021, remember this was supposed to be shipping by August 2021.
2A and 2B were the boards produced in the first KS. The 2C was the first KS2 board designed in-house (but was not produced). An engineering company was then hired to get it to pass CE, to improve the board and to incorporate changes not yet part of the 2C. This led to the 2D and 2E. The 2E was the last Spartan 6 board and it was ready to go in September. This company was subject to covid shutdowns like everyone else as were everyone else involved in making the test boards. Nevertheless being ready by September was not missing the mark by much IMO given the circumstances.
The Xilinx FPGA they’d chosen for the Next was already in the process of not being manufactured when the original Next was eventually released.
Where are you getting this information from? The Spartan 6 is considered an active part by Xilinx even today. Here's today's fpga product selection guide. Xilinx moves a product into EOL when it decides to discontinue it. This gives a further two years until the last product is produced. The Spartan 6 has had a long life because it's very good value and there was no indication that it was about to be EOL'd. Xilinx has another fpga, the Spartan 3, that has been around for even longer (6 years longer) and that continues because it has a number of large automotive customers.

What happened with the Spartan 6 is not that it was discontinued. Xilinx suddenly lost access to the foundry where it was made and couldn't make more, at least not for regular customers. This is not the same as the situation with its other fpgas where the problem is simply backed up orders and plugged up supply lines. I do think Xilinx's inability to make Spartan 6s does mean customers are being forced to redesign with different parts and that's very likely going to impact on demand for the Spartan 6 in the future.
This is from a Kickstarter that raised £1.8m in funds, it’s not as if they’re having to raise capital to buy the components. So why weren’t those items bought at the start? Why is it that 18 months after it was supposed to be launched that they still haven’t bought them? I think it’s down to the team thinking there’s still going to be hardware changes and they want to wait until the last minute to lock down those parts.
One common characteristic of failed kickstarters is that they spend their money up front without knowing what the product is or how it's going to be produced. The KS2 board is not the same as the KS1 board. The BOM is very different. The fpga is one of a few things in common. Ordering the fpga well ahead means you can't return for refund if defects are found. This is why nobody does this. It's simply not a good idea to gamble when you have a fixed amount of cash on hand to spend.

Your assumption that we would have received the fpgas had they been ordered immediately is also iffy. People in the queue last year received 1-2% of their orders.