ChibiAkumas for Spectrum 128K

People are still making stuff for the Sinclair related machines. Tell us about new games and other software that runs on the Spectrum, ZX80/ZX81, Pentagon and Next.
moroz1999
Berk

Re: ChibiAkumas for Spectrum 128K

Post by moroz1999 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:57 am

I'm wondering how would it look like on 14mhz Z80: will the game become faster itself or jsut the frame rate would be higher (as in Castlevania)?
0 x

Wall_Axe
Microbot

Post by Wall_Axe » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:03 pm

would the crystal thingie in the spectrum still oscillate at 50hz (or is it 60)
0 x

Wall_Axe
Microbot

Post by Wall_Axe » Tue May 01, 2018 4:06 am

oh does the ac current in the uk running at 50hz trigger the telly update and the spectrum crystal? that would make sense.

back on topic, you must've broken the spectrum bullet record
0 x

Ivanzx
Site Admin

Post by Ivanzx » Sun May 27, 2018 10:12 am

Can we already purchase or download the Spectrum version? :)
0 x

ANDREWRYALS
Berk

Post by ANDREWRYALS » Mon May 28, 2018 3:40 pm

Simply WOW! Hats off.
0 x

Ralf
Manic Miner

Post by Ralf » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:42 pm

Great! It seems to be a game that Zx Spectrum has never seen before. I'm pretty sure it will be presented at many retro parties to show what's possible on our old trusty machine.
0 x

Andre Leao
Microbot

Post by Andre Leao » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:49 pm

Review will be available the next few days...

https://planetasinclair.blogspot.com/20 ... ncado.html
0 x

Ralf
Manic Miner

Post by Ralf » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:11 pm

So here it is. Thanks Keith!

I'm curious about your opinions, folks.
I may say mine later. As it's actually mixed feelings I wouldn't like to start with it ;)
0 x

dfzx
Dizzy

Post by dfzx » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:30 am

Well, let's see, on a cold and frosty Saturday morning...

Start 128K Speccy with Fuse. Drag and drop tape file - game starts. "Press Fire to Continue" it says. Er, which is fire? Press all keys one after the other to find the right one. Z does the trick.

"Hit 0 to set controls". OK. Q,A,O,P,Sp,Z,S,X. I don't have a player 2 so for player 2 I just hit space repeatedly until it stops asking.

"Start game as Chibiko" - yay! Go...! Huh? A screen of text flashes by. Hey! What was that? Never mind! Stuff is happening!

I press right, player moves right a bit, I press left, player moves left a bit. I press space, player flips to face the other way, then the game apparently crashes?

Start again, paying more attention. At the point I pressed fire, the character, which was facing left, zipped off the left side of the screen. Everything stopped except the music and the occasional "weeeeee" noise.

Do it a third time, this time using something other than space as fire. There's an awful lot happening on screen but I've no idea what I'm supposed to do. What's good, to pick up? What's bad, to avoid? Avoiding all those balls is impossible! I instinctively press space even though it shouldn't do anything and it locks up again.

Something occurs to me - maybe this is a 2 player game! I don't have a friend, but maybe I should redefine player 2 keys to something sensible. OK, reload, redefine keys, only this time use a different set for player 2. Aha! This time it doesn't lock when I press space, instead the player switches to face left and the game keeps playing. But now, even though Q,A,O and P all keep moving the player around, nothing else happens. I can't switch back to face right! I flying backwards against the scroll with no firing happening. I'm dead in 5 seconds!

I stare at the countdown wondering if I want to continue. During my deliberations, I let it expire, then the Speccy goes into a tape loading sequence of some sort. What's it doing? I've no idea. Eventually a blood dripping GAME OVER graphic appears. I press random keys to make it go away. It does so by resetting the Speccy.

I think a bit more play testing might be in order!
0 x

Ast A. Moore
Manic Miner

Post by Ast A. Moore » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:42 am

I will just point out that this is an ambitious project that, perhaps, would have been better suited for 16-bit platforms. I commend your effort at developing for several Z80 platforms simultaneously and it looks like you reached your goal in that area. However, it feels more like a proof of concept, rather than a finished and polished game, at least on the Spectrum. But then, maybe it was never your goal to begin with.
0 x
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.