Microdrive disk refelting tips

For experts to discuss very technical stuff and newbies to ask why the Spectrum they bought off ebay doesn't work.
serene02
Drutt

Microdrive disk refelting tips

Post by serene02 »

I have just found a load of my old microdrive disks. Most of the sponge on the disks has perished and easily pushes off. I replaced with some fairly thin 2mm felt that my mother had kicking about but the disk still won’t read or format. I know the unit works as one disk does work just fine.

Is there a specific place to source a felt that will be ideal for the refelting process, would love to see what’s lurking on these after so many years! I imagine game ‘backups’ ;)

J
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Re: Microdrive disk refelting tips

Post by TMD2003 »

Can't really help you on this one myself, but you could always ask on the QL Forum as well. They know a thing or two about microdrives.
Spectribution: Dr. Jim's Sinclair computing pages.
Features my own programs, modified type-ins, RZXs, character sets & UDGs, and QL type-ins... so far!
luny
Manic Miner

Post by luny »

I code to live (Job) and I live to code (Retro). One of them has to give!
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

@serene02,

There is a tutorial here, which includes a link to supposedly suitable material.

https://spectrumforeveryone.com/technic ... oll%20down.

Peter
TomD
Manic Miner

Post by TomD »

I've had some success with 8 track tape felt which luckily comes in self-adhesive pads.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/313944871782 ... Swz7Ve3AOK

They need cutting down to size and I've found they are a little too thick so I also trim the thickness a tiny bit. Also be careful when cleaning off the old felt.

TomD
Retro enthusiast and author of Flynn's Adventure in Bombland, The Order of Mazes & Maze Death Rally-X. Check them out at http://tomdalby.com
cj7hawk
Manic Miner

Post by cj7hawk »

I couldn't find a suitable felt that didn't have some polymers in the mix, and eventually shaved and cut down a felt disk from a dremel tool pack and have been using that. It's difficult to cut but not impossible. I'll possibly make up a jig to cut it clean in the future since I get very few useable pads, but the ones I do get work pretty well.

David
kokkiklhs
Dizzy

Post by kokkiklhs »

Microdrive disks? They are tape cartridges, for god's sake!!!
:shock: :lol:
flatduckrecords
Manic Miner

Post by flatduckrecords »

cj7hawk wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:57 pmI couldn't find a suitable felt that didn't have some polymers in the mix
I just trimmed down some of those adhesive felt pads meant for furnature. It seemed to do the job but I didn't check what the fibres were made of—is there a risk they're too abrasive on the tape?
cj7hawk
Manic Miner

Post by cj7hawk »

kokkiklhs wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:10 pm Microdrive disks? They are tape cartridges, for god's sake!!!
:shock: :lol:
Have you looked inside one? They tape rolls up into a...... Disk!

Really.

So maybe a disk isn't a bad description after all, though I like "Stringy Floppy" the best.
cj7hawk
Manic Miner

Post by cj7hawk »

flatduckrecords wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:27 pm
cj7hawk wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:57 pmI couldn't find a suitable felt that didn't have some polymers in the mix
I just trimmed down some of those adhesive felt pads meant for furnature. It seemed to do the job but I didn't check what the fibres were made of—is there a risk they're too abrasive on the tape?
I don't know. Probably not too abrasive, but if the friction heats it up, might melt and then the hard parts could cause issues.
serene02
Drutt

Post by serene02 »

Thanks for the tips and links.

Maybe disk tape best describes them!!

J