Due to unusually high levels of website traffic you will be presenting with regular Cloudflare checks for the time being.

Raspberry pi header removal

The Speccy's spritely young offspring. Discuss everything from FPGA to ZX
kegnkiwi
Dizzy

Raspberry pi header removal

Post by kegnkiwi »

I bought a pi zero to add to my spectrum n-go but it has the wrong header. I'm attempting to remove the old header with my new desoldering iron. It's making a reasonable job, I need to revisit a couple of pads but how would others remover the header in one go.

spider
Dynamite Dan

Re: Raspberry pi header removal

Post by spider »

Not ideal but in the past I've used a very thin blunt flat knife blade (like a paper opener one) so once a few are lifted you can slowly with care heat the rest to remove it. This does work OK with IC's if you can get under one 'end', with a header you'd probably want to work along one long edge though.

The other idea, not something I've tried myself is a hot air gun to melt the solder. Care would have to be taken as other components may fall out! Not to mention the danger of damage to fingers (don't hold the board use pliers or something) or damage to the board itself due to the heat. As I say I've not tested this method myself. It seems in theory ideal if you wanted to completely gut a PCB though, maybe.
kegnkiwi
Dizzy

Post by kegnkiwi »

Good idea with the heat gun, I've got a heat gun I'll give it a go as I have nothing to lose.
flatduckrecords
Manic Miner

Post by flatduckrecords »

For any stubborn ones you could try adding a some fresh solder and then try desoldering again, I've found that to be helpful.

I think the square pad(s) are connected to ground, so if those ones are giving you trouble they might need a touch more heat than the others (of course it's easy to overdo it so be careful!)
funkheld
Dizzy

Post by funkheld »

flatduckrecords
Manic Miner

Post by flatduckrecords »

funkheld wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 5:02 pm my examples for your topic...??? 8-) :idea:
👍
funkheld
Dizzy

Post by funkheld »

get a pi zero for 12 euros without a pin header.

and sell your pi zero on ebay.

https://www.berrybase.de/raspberry-pi/r ... -pi-zero-w
Knobby
Drutt

Post by Knobby »

If you don't want to keep the header, it might be easier to cut through the plastic and remove the individual pins. Perhaps cut it into smaller more manageable groups of, for example, four pins, if you don't want to have to separate each one.
funkheld
Dizzy

Post by funkheld »

folks, it's easier to sell the non-matching zero for the next and buy one without.
zx64
Manic Miner

Post by zx64 »

Just remove pins one by one. On these headers they come out easily with just a little force. Use small pliers