saving .scr file from windows to audio tape/.wav/.tap to load on real speccy

Share graphical tips, notes and queries related to our favourite screen layout and its editors.
MacShrike
Drutt

saving .scr file from windows to audio tape/.wav/.tap to load on real speccy

Post by MacShrike »

Ls,

I uploaded a picture to a website that converted it into a black and white 7K .scr file.

Now I want to be able to convert it into a .wav file (or a .tap file and then into a .wav file)
All I got is a taperecorder for it and I want to be able to load it SCREEN$ onmy real spectrum.

ANybody know an online site that does that? Or a tool.
I've got the tapeconv tools but they wont eat it.

Ill add the .png and .bmp files as well, perhaps one of you great people could convert it for me.
I would like to know how to do it myself thougg. :ugeek:
Any help is greatly appreciated.

regards,
Mac

Guesser
Manic Miner

Re: saving .scr file from windows to audio tape/.wav/.tap to load on real speccy

Post by Guesser »

I use Dylan's bin2tape for converting binary files to tap, but realise that might not be too helpful as it's only available as source to compile yourself. I mainly use it because it works from the command line so can be part of a build process. If you're just converting things one at a time by hand that won't matter to you :)

Since you want a wav anyway, the best answer might be tapir. That will let you export directly to a wav, I just find it fiddly to use heh and can't script it :lol:
R-Tape
Site Admin

Re: saving .scr file from windows to audio tape/.wav/.tap to load on real speccy

Post by R-Tape »

I would open the .scr in ZX-Paintbrush and just save it as a .tap. If it's a bona-fide 6912 .scr file in the correct format then it will work easily. If not then you can open .png and .bmp in ZX-Paint and it is faithful to the pixels as long as the size matches.

I tried it here, but your png is double the size it should be. I reduced it to 320 x 240 (=256x192 + border area) and this file is what we get. Close enough?
MacShrike
Drutt

Post by MacShrike »

Wow thx! :) 8-)

zx-paint. I'll check that out.

I'll try your file and see how it looks :ugeek:

Ill let you know
MacShrike
Drutt

Post by MacShrike »

R-Tape wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 3:29 pm I would open the .scr in ZX-Paintbrush and just save it as a .tap. If it's a bona-fide 6912 .scr file in the correct format then it will work easily. If not then you can open .png and .bmp in ZX-Paint and it is faithful to the pixels as long as the size matches.

I tried it here, but your png is double the size it should be. I reduced it to 320 x 240 (=256x192 + border area) and this file is what we get. Close enough?
;)
Thanks a million look at this :mrgreen:

R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Beautiful!

The last time I tried my bogroll printer, the best I got out of it was a few unhealthy clunks and whirs.
MacShrike
Drutt

Post by MacShrike »

R-Tape wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 4:35 pm Beautiful!

The last time I tried my bogroll printer, the best I got out of it was a few unhealthy clunks and whirs.
Yeah me too :roll:

Appears the belts dry out.
I bought a new 3d printed one for not much. Ithink it was about 13Pounds.
If you open it up. Keep the two small steel stylos.

It's a bit of a fiddle but very doable.

If you want to know what to do I can tell you. It's an absolutely useless printer now but very splendid and worthwhile :D