Gotek Fitting

For experts to discuss very technical stuff and newbies to ask why the Spectrum they bought off ebay doesn't work.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Gotek Fitting

Post by PeterJ »

I finally got around to fitting my Gotek from RetroPassion. Is it supposed to stick outside the casing like show? It's just I can't get it to squeeze inside at the top cover.

I'm a bit OCD about these things!

Thanks

TomD
Manic Miner

Re: Gotek Fitting

Post by TomD »

If that is my bracket design (which it looks like) then yes it does. I designed it for a CPC6128 which it fits perfect. For the +3 it needs to be set back a little but guess they didn’t modify it.
Retro enthusiast and author of Flynn's Adventure in Bombland, The Order of Mazes & Maze Death Rally-X. Check them out at http://tomdalby.com
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Thanks @TomD,

Is it an easy modification?

Peter
TomD
Manic Miner

Post by TomD »

PeterJ wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 5:34 pm Thanks @TomD,

Is it an easy modification?

Peter
Not really I’m afraid as the screw holes are fixed. It needs the front bringing back a little which would require a reprint.

I did a slightly better job of my other bracket which has a larger OLED but never released it as got annoyed with people selling my designs with no attribution, not that I’m bitter :-)

https://www.thingiverse.com/make:608268
Retro enthusiast and author of Flynn's Adventure in Bombland, The Order of Mazes & Maze Death Rally-X. Check them out at http://tomdalby.com
spider
Dynamite Dan

Post by spider »

I had similar issues fitting a 3.5" into my +3 given the mounts are not the same (I know its a completely different item) , but perhaps a standoff or careful trim of the front would work ? I do know what you mean, it needs to "look good"

Maybe you can if you're feeling brave drill the +3 case and fit some more standoffs if its held vertically, this was something I never got around to in my case.
MonkZy
Manic Miner

Post by MonkZy »

@PeterJ I can reprint this if @TomD can send me the gcode. I don't need the .stl files that way. I can post my printer specific g-code. Sounds like a re-print is what you need.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Hi @MonkZy,

It's very kind of you to offer, but Tom is going to print one for me. It sounds like I was supplied one for an Einstein computer.
TomD
Manic Miner

Post by TomD »

PeterJ wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 10:13 pm Hi @MonkZy,

It's very kind of you to offer, but Tom is going to print one for me. It sounds like I was supplied one for an Einstein computer.
Peter did a quick measure and the front panel is 40mm instead of 36mm which is strange. I made one to fit an Einstein which was around 5mm higher than the Spectrum or CPC one so reckon the supplier might have printed the wrong one :-)
cj7hawk
Manic Miner

Post by cj7hawk »

Hi All,

I hate to see a fellow Speccy owner suffer, so I've also released my own Gotek shell in the forum - It's specifically designed for the ZX+3 and includes mounting points for the +3. I've never tried it in a CPC, but there is a different version for the PCW9K series.

It also features a mounting hole for the twiddle knob so you can navigate your USB a lot faster, and most Gotek will take the twiddle knob as an add on.

If you don't want the twiddle knob, you're better off with the design in this thread, but if you want to add it, then you may find my version is more convenient.

Regards
David