XT-Engine: small, but powerful platform game engine in asm

People are still making stuff for the Sinclair related machines. Tell us about new games and other software that runs on the Spectrum, ZX80/ZX81, Pentagon and Next.
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Re: XT-Engine: small, but powerful platform game engine in asm

Post by Ralf »

As long as you are having fun with it, it's okay.

My experience is that guys who mess too much with tools never deliver the final product.

I remember a guy who wrote a code on some archaic assembler from 1980s running on Pc running Dos and
connected to a real Spectrum for testing.
And I remember a guy who wrote assembler by poking directly opcodes into memory.
And I remember guys insisting that code for Spectrum should be written on real Spectrum.
They never finished anything.

But it's your free time. Spend it the way you like it.
ketmar
Manic Miner

Post by ketmar »

Ralf wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 2:44 pm My experience is that guys who mess too much with tools never deliver the final product.
tbh, i am not holding high hopes on finishing "The Development Studio" myself too. ;-)

the problem is that i will definitely NOT finish it using other languages. i tried two times already. both attempts failed. this is my third attempt; this time i'm trying to make the process itself fun enough, so i won't drop it again.
Wall_Axe
Manic Miner

Post by Wall_Axe »

Are you thinking of making a text editor,gfx editor etc. or a bunch of command line tools?
ketmar
Manic Miner

Post by ketmar »

Wall_Axe wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 7:08 pm Are you thinking of making a text editor,gfx editor etc. or a bunch of command line tools?
both. i already have prototype CLI tools working, but creating rooms in ASCII form, for example, is not fun. it's not hard too, yet i see no reason to not make graphical tools.

it won't be in the first version, but for version 2 i am planning to create "live game preview" too. i.e. if you will write your game in built-in AGD-like language, you prolly will be able to test it without compiling and running in emulator. it won't be 1:1 correspondence to real (or emulated) ZX, but enough to playtest algorithms and such.

my project plan is quite huge, i have at least 3 versions already planned. first is MVP with basics done, and then gradual improvements.

p.s.: of course, there is always a chance to have only UrForth and nothing more. but let's hope for the best. ;-)
ketmar
Manic Miner

Post by ketmar »

everything went wrong and totally off-rails, of course. so, here it its: UrForth/Beast — self-hosting x86 GNU/Linux (windoze version is planned too) Direct Threaded Forth System!

"self-hosting" means that The Beast can rebuild itself without requiring any external tools, and it does it in ~60 msecs (contrary to ~20 seconds for UrForth/C). of course, it is smaller and faster than /C too.

x86 assembler and disassembler included. batteries NOT included. all "Forth standards" happily ignored.